Looking for brake pad suggestions

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Martin - I have to guess that the stuff 'boils' when it gets hot.
Yes, but some products have a higher threshold then others... and if that final boiling point is raised for like only 20?C, can it make the difference of making it downhill safely, or experiencing the "...HOLY.... !!!! :shock:" moment ;-)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Gee, I don't want to start an argument, but maybe I will ......

I just priced a set ( front & rear ) of Honda OEM brake pads at Partzilla for about $108 ( plus shipping ).

I bought a complete set of Volar Kevlar/carbon pads for $18 with free shipping awhile back. I've been running these pads for about 10K miles and have been happy with them. I doubt the OEM pads work any better as far as braking performance. And my rotors aren't wearing or being grooved. And even IF they cause a little more wear than the stock pads ( I doubt that, but let's assume that for this discussion ) , I'm saving big $$ by using the Volar pads, even IF I need to replace the rotors after 100K miles , or so. Of course, I wouldn't replace them , I would have them re-surfaced for even more savings.

So why would I want to go with the OEM pads ????

OK, I'm ready for the blow-back now .......

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Gee, I don't want to start an argument, but maybe I will ......

I just priced a set ( front & rear ) of Honda OEM brake pads at Partzilla for about $108 ( plus shipping ).

I bought a complete set of Volar Kevlar/carbon pads for $18 with free shipping awhile back. I've been running these pads for about 10K miles and have been happy with them. I doubt the OEM pads work any better as far as braking performance. And my rotors aren't wearing or being grooved. And even IF they cause a little more wear than the stock pads ( I doubt that, but let's assume that for this discussion ) , I'm saving big $$ by using the Volar pads, even IF I need to replace the rotors after 100K miles , or so. Of course, I wouldn't replace them , I would have them re-surfaced for even more savings.

So why would I want to go with the OEM pads ????

OK, I'm ready for the blow-back now .......
Longgivity, last almost twice the mileage the HH rated EBC's......least in my bikes case.
Noticably smoother with applied braking.
Two things I DON'T go 'on the cheap' for motorcycles..........Tires and brakes..........definitely 'get wa-cha pay for', IMO;).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
IF I need to replace the rotors after 100K miles , or so. Of course, I wouldn't replace them , I would have them re-surfaced for even more savings.
Jim, what do you mean by 'resurfaced," ground smooth? And where have you found a place that would even touch a motorcycle rotor? Just wondering...

John
via iPhone 4S

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Jim, what do you mean by 'resurfaced," ground smooth?
And what does that for you when they already at their minimum thickness...
And where have you found a place that would even touch a motorcycle rotor? Just wondering...
He posted another link of a company that does such "cross grinding"...
Nice for refurbing the looks of vintage bike rotors, but also there they must not go below the wear limit...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I agree with the comments made regarding the practical merit of resurfacing motorcycle rotors. there's usually only 1.0mm of thickness between new and minimum allowable, so its more likely your rotor is just worn out when it comes time to think about resurfacing.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
And what does that for you when they already at their minimum thickness...

He posted another link of a company that does such "cross grinding"...
Nice for refurbing the looks of vintage bike rotors, but also there they must not go below the wear limit...
Of course not. You would be surprised how little depth those grooves have - there is usually plenty of material left for re-surfacing. Get some "pin-point" adaptors for your mic and check for yourself. The allowable minimum thickness is usually stamped on the edge of the disk or in the service manual. And the outfit at the other thread that re-surfaces disks won't go below the minimum , I'm sure ( liability ).

Next winter, I plan on having my front disks re-surfaced. I might give him a call and drive them over to SE Michigan myself. I let you guys know how it goes. I'll be the guinea pig. I hope you won't be reading my obit next summer ..........

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Longgivity, last almost twice the mileage the HH rated EBC's......least in my bikes case.
Noticably smoother with applied braking.
Two things I DON'T go 'on the cheap' for motorcycles..........Tires and brakes..........definitely 'get wa-cha pay for', IMO;).
My bike had OEM pads on the front & back when I acquired it. The Volar pads have been working just as good, or better. I doubt Honda makes those pads , anyway. I not worried a bit using the Volar pads , in terms of safety or longevity.

BTW, I did some research on what users of Kevlar pads think of them on several Forums and other sites. I really couldn't find hardly a single negative comment. Most Riders really liked them.

Here is a link to some comments : http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14615/pr/bikers-choice-kevlar-brake-pads

Here is an interesting comment at the above link :

" ME LIKEEE "

" I ride hard and fast. Kinda like an escaped mental patient ..and I put these brake pads to the test every day. I like the way thay can withstand my abuse and continue to work. "

There you go , a typical testimonial ... what else can be said ??

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
EIGHTEEN DOLLARS??! For 6 pads? With FREE shipping to boot?

That smacks of Chinese quality :( right there and I wouldn't put my life on the line (pad separation?) with crap like that.

I know you are a 'big on preventative maintenance' kind of guy, nothing wrong with that, but there is a point of overkill on that too and maybe by doing a little less here and there, doing it more so when needed, you could afford to buy the OEM pads.;)

It does seem that your mind is made up already though, so I don't really know why you posed the question in the first place.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
http://www.truedisk.net/home.html

Hmmm... $90 plus shipping for the fronts. Certainly is appealing, considering the price of new or even salvage. Would love to read a report by an STrider.
John ; Like I said in the other thread several members in the MC Beemer club have used the service. And you know how the average BMW Owners is ... they are practically "anal' compared to the average ST owner.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
EIGHTEEN DOLLARS??! For 6 pads? With FREE shipping to boot?

That smacks of Chinese quality :( right there and I wouldn't put my life on the line (pad separation?) with crap like that.

I know you are a 'big on preventative maintenance' kind of guy, nothing wrong with that, but there is a point of overkill on that too and maybe by doing a little less here and there, doing it more so when needed, you could afford to buy the OEM pads.;)

It does seem that your mind is made up already though, so I don't really know why you posed the question in the first place.
I'm probably one of the most open-minded people on the planet. But I'm not hung-up on price. Quality comes first. After reading all the comments on several Forums, I could see no reason not to give these beautiful Kevlar/Carbon pads a try. If not completely satisfied, I would only be out $18 ( shipping included ). After 10K miles, I'm completely satisfied I made a good choice. Let's be honest, most ST1100 Owners haven't won the lotto lately. I'm retired and living on a fixed income ( OK, I'm cheap too - I'll give you that much). I won't compromise quality, but I like to minimize my outflow of $$ , and so does the Boss.

Yes, I am big on PM. But for the record, I don't replace the pads until they are worn down. But at $18 a set, I can afford to replace them a little early if I am working on the bike. Like say, replacing a front or rear tire, or flushing & replacing brake fluid. I ordered two sets ( I could afford ordering two sets at a time, at that price ) , so I have a spare set on "standby". And after demand increases, they may wise up and double the price. They probably will still sell as many sets at double the price. But I will have saved another $18 , if that happens.

You must admit, these pad are beautiful, too : Copy of Volar Kevlar Pads.jpg

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I agree with the comments made regarding the practical merit of resurfacing motorcycle rotors. there's usually only 1.0mm of thickness between new and minimum allowable, so its more likely your rotor is just worn out when it comes time to think about resurfacing.
Exactly what I'd meant...
I already did "use up" a full set (front plus rear) on my '92, and a front set on my '00 ST, by the time grooves and edges are showing, the most worn areas were already at the minimum thickness...

Bike
1997 ST1100
I found this link from D2Moto

1996-2002 HondaST1100 ABS Kevlar Front
Price
$14.90
Description
? Volar MotorsportKevlar Carbon Brake Pads
? Provide excellentstopping power without noise and rotor galling, even on polished rotors
? Fingertip controland strong, predictable brake response
? Material:Non-sintered / Organic
? Quantity: 6 BrakePads per package
? Position: Frontand Rear
? Fitment:
? 1996-2002 HondaST 1100 A ABS Model

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Free Shipping on above ???

BTW, I completed the MSF Advanced Rider Safety class last weekend. On one course we repeatedly did quick braking maneuvers. I can report my Volar brake pads worked flawlessly.

And , as a side note, we had two coaches/instructors; one female on a C-14 Concours and a male on a GL1500A. Both were very impressive demonstrating on the range.

Top Bottom