Loose windshield arm on a 2007 ST1300

Bike
2007 ST1300
On Saturday I noticed that the right side of the windshield seemed a bit more flexible, bendy, reactive to the wind than the left side. When I stopped, it was true. The windshield screws are snug. It seems like the arm holding the windshield on the right side is a bit more flexy than the arm on the left side. My thinking was that a bolt somewhere in the bowels of the front cowl was loose.

I reviewed the description on this site of the windshield adjustment and associated cleaning. It's not obvious to me from that description where the flexi-ness is coming from.

I purchased this bike in August, 2014 with 9,000 miles. It has 12,000 now. It's been a terrific daily rider. No modifications other than a 15.5 liter Pelican case mounted to the luggage rack in the back to carry my laptop.
Noel

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are four bolts that mount the windshield mechanism to the upper cowl stay.

I've had these bolts come loose in the past and they will allow the windshield to move around. I would start there. All you need to do is to remove the windshield and the black cowl under it. You'll see the bolts on each side.
To remove the windshield, remove the four screws from the front. Remove the plastic covers. Remove the four nuts (yellow not red)
windshield-removal.jpg

Then remove all the pins and screws from the cowl.

The bolts to tighten up are marked "26" in the diagram.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
So, as predicted, there was a loose bolt!

I only broke a couple of pins, and my fondest hope is that these are standard sizes available at Autozone, NAPA, or O'Rielly. Failing that, I hope these are standard carry items at my local Honda shop.
Noel

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, as predicted, there was a loose bolt!

I only broke a couple of pins, and my fondest hope is that these are standard sizes available at Autozone, NAPA, or O'Rielly. Failing that, I hope these are standard carry items at my local Honda shop.
Noel
You can try CycleGear if you have one close by.

Good habit to have if you plan on working on your bike yourself, pickup a few extra fasteners such as those pins and screws. (several types if you haven't noticed.;)

Bike
ST 1300
I have checked the bolts on mine. They are tight but I still have a little free play. There are two 8mm bolts on the back of the sliding mechanism which I think have a torque spec of 7 to 10 foot pounds.
if I over torque these a little the slop goes away.
Will over torquing damage the assembly?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have checked the bolts on mine. They are tight but I still have a little free play. There are two 8mm bolts on the back of the sliding mechanism which I think have a torque spec of 7 to 10 foot pounds.
if I over torque these a little the slop goes away.
Will over torquing damage the assembly?
Are you taking about the #24 bolts in the diagram?

Top Bottom