Bluetooth audio Q- Sena, Garmin 665 & aux

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi all, please pardon yet another of my bluetooth questions, I am very knowledgeable about bluetooth and the various profiles and how they pair.

I ditched my plan to use a Garmin 2797 and went back to a new Garmin 665, using my old 665 with issues as my backup. I'm also going to have a small LG tablet mounted up running Waze and a radar detector. I have a Sena SMH10 headset.

My phone will pair with the 665, which pairs with my Sena, assuming as a Phone connection. The Sena has two connections possible- phone and audio, so I am assuming I have one empty bluetooth channel left on the Sena, correct?

If that is the case, can I hook up the radar detector and tablet to a bluetooth dongle and pair with the Sena to use for radar detector warnings, and still receive my XM radio and navigation from the Garmin?

If this will NOT work, how are others setting up their bluetooth with a radar detector/phone and an aux source?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Take a look at the User Guide (I'm using v.5.1) on pages 15 & 16. I think this is what you're trying to accomplish. As far as I can tell, the max. number of devices you can have paired at one time is three; one AD2P (advanced audio distribution profile), and two using HFP (hands free profile), unless you use the SENA SR10, which is illustrated in the User Guide. It looks like it's necessary to add hard wired connections (i.e., into the SENA SM10 or the SR10) if you want to have more than the two HFP's allowed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I believe that is right, but I want to make sure the Garmin doesn't actually use two connections. The reason I question this is because the music comes through on a nice stereo connection, very clear. But the rest of the GPS functions come through like a mono AM radio sound. As long as it uses one connection, and this is all just because of the GPS, no problem.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well it doesn't look like it can do two connections. If I pair with the GPS first I can get stereo music and phone connection. Then when I pair with the tablet I lose the stereo connection with the GPS. So it doesn't look like I can make an additional connection and still keep the XM functional on the 665. Likewise, it looks like if I use a Sena SM10 I'll be able to connect the radar detector and tablet through it, but I would also have to connect the GPS through it, and connect the phone directly to the headset, losing the ability to make calls through the GPS. Not a huge deal I guess. But I want to make sure I would still be able to get my XM in stereo if I use the SM10.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Jim, its all about the priority, I think you can get what you want but maybe not the way you want. Here is what i know from my setup. the phone takes priority over other audio. That being said if you connect to the 665 as a phone you will not get to hear what comes from any other source while the phone/665 is active. Here is how I deal with this problem.

Do not connect the phone to the 665, connect it directly to the sena as a phone. Use an SM10 and wire the 665 and radar into it. You can also use a Y cable to add a 3rd item (tablet). What will happen if you do this is the Sm10 will play its audio until you get a call then the phone will take the audio. once the phone call ends it will go back to the 665/radar.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 to what Dave said get the SM10 I had the same issue as you Jim the SM10 solved it. Phone direct to SMH10, GPS to SM10 and any other device to the SM10 Aux input. Should fix your issue.

Top Bottom