Girlfriend wants this - 2013 Road Glide Custom FLTRX

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Been riding motorcycles since 1966 but only twice for short rides on a Harley, a 1988 Sportster and a 1991 Low Rider. Hated them both.
GF is "ok" with my ST1300, but loves Harleys. This would be a big departure for me. I still have my Duc for sport riding, so speed and handling are secondary, touring comfort primary for my long distance bike. However, I ain't paying the asking price.
Anyone spent any time on a Road Glide?

http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/mcd/4891592011.html

Is there a sport-touring counselor(board-certified) in the house??... Appears there needs to be joint counseling to sort out this "Harley-love" before it does serious damage to a relationship... unless you are willing to join the sect?:confused::03biker:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Nice pictures of the Harley, but we might need pictures of the girlfriend so that we can give better advise. :D
Just kidding, but always remember, "When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

John and Janis

Bike
07 ST1300
I have been riding my wife on the back for 27 years !!! So i would buy her any bike she wanted if she was driving it herself

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
Been riding motorcycles since 1966 but only twice for short rides on a Harley, a 1988 Sportster and a 1991 Low Rider. Hated them both.
GF is "ok" with my ST1300, but loves Harleys. This would be a big departure for me. I still have my Duc for sport riding, so speed and handling are secondary, touring comfort primary for my long distance bike. However, I ain't paying the asking price.
Anyone spent any time on a Road Glide?

http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/mcd/4891592011.html

My buddy has one, great for the driver, his wife hates the back see, cuts into the groin area, may be good or bad. But she won't ride it for any long trips.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
My wife rides a CVO Dyna and has been bugging me about getting a Harley. 2/3 of our friends ride Harley's, 1/3 ride sport tours. So I have a Road King in my future. But i'm keeping the ST1300 or getting Versey 1000 or FJ. That's the only deal i'll make. I might even get a Jacket and shirt that say's Harley on it. Having her with me is way more important to me than what I ride.
BTW a new one is not much more than a used one. Maintenance is way, way easyer than the ST1300 just more of it. NO PLASTIC to remove!
Dave

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You should look at the 2015 model of that bike. It was upgraded. You don't want that one. He is probably selling it to get a 15. The 14 and 15 Harleys are very nice! Just not for me.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Any Harley on the new frame of 09 and above is just as good as any bike on the market except for price.

Only thing I would try is to move her over to the ultra classic, my brother has a 2014 much more
Comfort and luggage room for extended trips.

Mike:03biker:

P.S. Best part about having a brother with a Harley is I don't have to buy one!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
QUOTE=silverbub;1838909]Is there a sport-touring counselor(board-certified) in the house??... Appears there needs to be joint counseling to sort out this "Harley-love" before it does serious damage to a relationship... unless you are willing to join the sect?:confused::03biker:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]
If a counselor gets hooked on counseling, what does he do?
[/SIZE] :tb1:

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Keep the ST and rent the Harley for a couple of days, if she like the ride and vibration, buy it as a second bike. It may become a good thing for both of you....

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
My wife rides a CVO Dyna and has been bugging me about getting a Harley. 2/3 of our friends ride Harley's, 1/3 ride sport tours. So I have a Road King in my future. But i'm keeping the ST1300 or getting Versey 1000 or FJ. That's the only deal i'll make. I might even get a Jacket and shirt that say's Harley on it. Having her with me is way more important to me than what I ride.
BTW a new one is not much more than a used one. Maintenance is way, way easyer than the ST1300 just more of it. NO PLASTIC to remove!
Dave
Ask the Harley service people how many miles before you will need a top end....they will tell you 40k, which would be the price of a good used ST1300 ever couple years :rofl1:

Bike
2004 ST1300
My wife isn't comfortable on the ST1300 on long rides (despite the Seth Laam seat and factory top box with pad). We tried a number of bikes including two models of Goldwings. She found the HD Ultra Classic to be the most comfortable and we bought a used 2012. It is a better riding bike than I expected. I still tend to ride the ST when I'm solo, but the HD is fun in a different way. I have my concerns about the longevity of the air cooled engine, but am running all synthetic oils and can't fault the performance. As noted, the maintenance is easy compared to a bike with a fairing. Only time will tell regarding reliability, but I have heard of many bikes with the modern engines going to 100K without major maintenance. I do think many riders tend to lug the HD engines because they will pull hard at anything over about 1500 RPM. With the 6 speed tranny I don't shift into 6th below 65mph and usually above 70. Lugging will kill any engine. I tend to keep it between 2500-3500 RPM as the engine sounds happier and I have plenty of power on tap without a noticeable decrease in mileage. One big change on the 2014 models is the vent in the fairing. It is reputed to diminish helmet buffet which can be significant on the earlier models. However, I added the baffle under the fork and fork mounted deflectors. The combination really smoothed out the airflow over the windshield. If you can find a low mileage post 09 (big changes to the frame) pre-14 bike at the right price, particularly if it has the 103 engine, it isn't a bad option.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My wife isn't comfortable on the ST1300 on long rides (despite the Seth Laam seat and factory top box with pad). We tried a number of bikes including two models of Goldwings. She found the HD Ultra Classic to be the most comfortable and we bought a used 2012. It is a better riding bike than I expected. I still tend to ride the ST when I'm solo, but the HD is fun in a different way. I have my concerns about the longevity of the air cooled engine, but am running all synthetic oils and can't fault the performance. As noted, the maintenance is easy compared to a bike with a fairing. Only time will tell regarding reliability, but I have heard of many bikes with the modern engines going to 100K without major maintenance. I do think many riders tend to lug the HD engines because they will pull hard at anything over about 1500 RPM. With the 6 speed tranny I don't shift into 6th below 65mph and usually above 70. Lugging will kill any engine. I tend to keep it between 2500-3500 RPM as the engine sounds happier and I have plenty of power on tap without a noticeable decrease in mileage. One big change on the 2014 models is the vent in the fairing. It is reputed to diminish helmet buffet which can be significant on the earlier models. However, I added the baffle under the fork and fork mounted deflectors. The combination really smoothed out the airflow over the windshield. If you can find a low mileage post 09 (big changes to the frame) pre-14 bike at the right price, particularly if it has the 103 engine, it isn't a bad option.
I rode both a 2013 Road Glide Custom 14k miles and a 2011 RG Ultra 10k miles yesterday. The Ultra was hands down the better riding and handling bike, and about $1,000 less expensive. The problem was that this dealer, who is also a Honda dealer, only offered $2,600 trade in on my 2003 ST1300 ABS 88k miles, all farkled up. I am just going to keep it and keep looking for a suitable HD. I have a buddy with connections.

Top Bottom