Girlfriend wants this - 2013 Road Glide Custom FLTRX

Bike
2004 ST1300
That doesn't seem like enough for the trade in. I traded an 03 VTX1800 (admittedly much lower mileage) and got nearly twice that in trade-in. One factor is that I bought the Harley from a multi-sport dealer that carries a number of metric brands. They took the Ultra on a trade and wanted it off their lot. I really enjoy the Ultra, but try not to say this too loudly on this site... If you want more info on my HD buying experience feel free to PM me.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
really enjoy the Ultra, but try not to say this too loudly on this site... If you want more info on my HD buying experience feel free to PM me.
:)
How true.
I'm really sorry that there are so many on the site that do the bashing...

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
You should look at the 2015 model of that bike. It was upgraded. You don't want that one. He is probably selling it to get a 15. The 14 and 15 Harleys are very nice! Just not for me.
GF got her way. Bought a 2015 Road Glide Special yesterday. Keeping the ST too. Too good of a bike just to give away.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Congrats. Enjoy both. Now you have to ride twice as much to keep either from becoming jealous:eek::

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
GF got her way. Bought a 2015 Road Glide Special yesterday. Keeping the ST too. Too good of a bike just to give away.
Congrats! Now you will both be happy. I feel the same way. The ST is way too good of a bike to just give away.
I bought a Wing thinking Judy would ride some with me. I put 26k on it in a couple of years. She rode about 100 miles with me. I bought my 2007 ST new 8 years ago this month. I don't think she has rode 75 miles with me. Just not her cup of tea.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
First Congrats on the new bike. :(

It is funny that you mention that she didn't ride 75 miles with you on the ST. When I first got back into bikes after nearly 30 years of being out of them I asked my wife one seat or two she said one seat. As time progressed that changed, I guess I was gone to much. Finally bought the first ST1100 and she started to ride with a little bit, until the point where we were doing week long trips with her on the back.

Then when day in the fall of the year she asked me "Do you always want me on the back?" Well for those of you that are married or in long term relationships, this is know as a hint. The hint is "Oh I want my own bike." Funny how one statement means something completely different.

So that was almost 3 years ago and now she is on her third bike, and she seldom rides as a pillion. All trips planned for 2015 will be on TWO BIKES!!! Oh yes she has also learned how to pack, just not for MC trips but anytime we go somewhere. Motorcycling is such a great educator.

So the moral of the story is "Use a baseball bat as the hint tool. Just come out and say want you want!" After 35 years if you cannot say something to your partner you got an issue. If they or us don't like we will get over it.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Congrats on the new bike. Just curious... I find the ST to be a great 2-up bike so why did she want a Harley, I mean was there any other reason besides she just likes them? Is it the sound, the looks, the comraderie, etc?

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I believe Harley makes a quick release tour pack mount for the Road Glide. It isn't an inexpensive solution (aside from the stock spark plugs, which are junk - get some NGK iridium plugs, I have yet to find anything related to HD that is inexpensive) , but if you get the tour pack with the back and arm rests along with a seat similar to the one on the Ultra (they may be interchangeable) she will think she is in a lazy-boy. HD knew what they were doing as this is what sold my wife on our 2012 Ultra. With the quick release you can get back to the original configuration very quickly. Aside from being a really large trunk, an added benefit to the tour pack is the brake lights and LED marker lights as they really make the bike noticeable to cars which are following or merging. I would check the dealer for after-market seats. They have some surprisingly reasonable after-market options and usually have loaners you can try before buying.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
2015 Road Glide.jpg Rides great! Handles good for a 800lb machine. Underway it is as smooth as the ST1300. Not at stops! Very comfortable, but heavy, bike. Love the fairing. It has surprising roll on. I am keeping it stock except for a sissy bar and rack. The electronics are great but the radio is worthless through the speakers at speed. The suspension is very firm.

My son asked if they threw in a beanie helmet and chaps. He ain't thrilled at his sportbike riding old man riding a Harley.

I asked the service manager if I could eventually put radial tires on it. He said, "Don't put car tires on it." The dude did not know if the bike came with bias or radial tires! I think I am in a whole different world here.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Road King on the way and will be keeping my ST.
My GF rides her own bike a CVO Dyna.
Once they been inducted into the Harley lifestyle its hard to change.
I'm telling you the Harley PR machine is really interesting. Everything from slippers to shot glasses to clocks. They make as much or more money on merchandising.
But brother you pay$ for the privilege of being part of the Harley family.
Dave

Top Bottom