ST1300 Fuel Filter Replacement Interval ??

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Currently a ST1100 owner. Been comparing the FJR1300 & ST1300.

Just discovered that the FJR only has a fuel filter sock in the tank at the input of the fuel pump. And was told on the FJR Forum that there is no recommended replacement interval for a fuel filter - no surprise, it doesn't have one past the pump output apparently , external to the tank or in the tank.

Noticed on the parts fiche that the ST1300 has a fuel filter on the output side of the fuel pump, but it's located in the tank. Is there a recommended replacement interval in the owners manual ??

BTW, while looking at the parts fiche for the both the FJR1300 & ST1300 , it looks like parts are a heck of a lot less for the ST1300. Example : You can get the entire fuel pump assembly for the ST1300 for a lot less than only the fuel pump for the FJR1300.

I'm leaning toward a ST1300. Don't need more "Sport" than "Touring" , but want to give the FJR a fair shot. They are really popular for LD riding ( In the Iron Butt Rally ).

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Not sure if there is a recommended replacement on the filter, my ST has 128,000 miles on the original fuel filter and pump with no issues so far.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure if there is a recommended replacement on the filter, my ST has 128,000 miles on the original fuel filter and pump with no issues so far.
Thanks for that info.

May be a good idea to replace it at this point , even if there is no recommended interval, if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile. I have seen several car FI fuel pumps fail because the filter was getting clogged.

And, I found this since I posted : https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?64006-ST1300-Fuel-Filter-Remove-Replace

And I also read a post that one guy found a lot of sediment at the bottom of the lower tank on a higher mileage bike. Also, read that it's a good idea after "X" number of years to replace the hose that runs between the top & bottom tanks. It will break down & leak eventually, apparently.

Getting to know the ST1300 already ...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced the pump and filter at about 120,000 miles just as a preventative action cuz I like to ride without worry. However I would like to say the plastic screen sock covering the intake was pristine when removed and if I didn't have the filter in hand when doing this I probably would not have replaced it. The inside of the lower tank was also clean as a pin.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would do the same too, at that mileage.

Ya, I have noticed this on cars & MC the last 10 years - amazing !! Gas pumps today use a 5 micron filter, but I would think the inside of the gas hose would deteriorate some and pass the particles into the car / motorcycle gas tank. But apparently not ........

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think solid particle debris gets caught in the upper tank.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I heard somewhere that gas stations have to replace hoses often (lol, though I have seen some that looked like they were way past replacement time). Not sure if this is fact or wishful thinking.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I heard somewhere that gas stations have to replace hoses often (lol, though I have seen some that looked like they were way past replacement time). Not sure if this is fact or wishful thinking.
+1 on above. I have seen gas filling hoses around here that have the outside rubber all cracked. Maybe they have a teflon liner. I'll get the hose spec number off a hose the next time I remember when I'm filling my tank and check out the specs.

The shop manual lists a test for the fuel filter. You have to open an electrical connection and measure the amps. Above a certain point indicates the pump is working hard to over come the clog in the filter.

The only way an additive would clean the filter is to dissolve the clog and pass it forward to be burned. Not sure what would happen to the dissolved substance when the fuel is atomized at the injectors.

Len

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Wouldn't a shot or two of Seafoam every season keeps the filter clean as well?
A filter acts by trapping particles that are too big to pass through its holes (the 'holes' are what I'm calling the gaps between the filter's fibers). Once a filter has been used to screen out small particles, many of them get trapped between the fibers and cannot be removed at all, even if you backwash the filter. The only other way to clean it might be to dissolve the particles - and seafoam is not going to dissolve dirt, rust, rubber particles from a deteriorating hose, etc.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
The shop manual lists a test for the fuel filter. You have to open an electrical connection and measure the amps. Above a certain point indicates the pump is working hard to over come the clog in the filter.

The only way an additive would clean the filter is to dissolve the clog and pass it forward to be burned. Not sure what would happen to the dissolved substance when the fuel is atomized at the injectors.

Len
Len : Makes perfect sense. In fact the Powerlet site warns about how a plugged fuel filter can waste amps that otherwise could be available for farkles.

But now you have my curiosity piqued . What current level does the manual refer to ??

And BTW, I have read that air filters can actually filter some particles even smaller than the "holes" in the filter media. The article had some highly magnified pictures showing the particles stuck to the fibers in the filter media. Don't know if that's true for a fuel filter, tho.

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think solid particle debris gets caught in the upper tank.
Not my experience. I replaced my fuel filter because of some emergency gas cap filling when my key broke off in the cap. My spare key would start the bike but barely open the gas cap without filling the ring around the cap. Got all kinds of shavings inside the tank even though I tried to cover the opening.

When I got home I replaced the filter. When I drained the intake on the filter all kinds of metal shavings came out.

Fuel filter replacement really depends on the environment your bike has been in. For instance filling you tank up in windy dusty areas repeatedly, or if you did something dumb like me.

I'm mistaken or their has been a change in the manual. I seem to remember the test I described as being in the manual for my '04 ST. Looking through the manual for the '07 the only tests listed are on pages 5-53 and 5-54 for pressure and volume. The pump should put out 6.1 oz @ 50 PSI over 10 seconds. Low results could be a clogged line or filter and possibly the pump itself.

Len

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I'm mistaken or their has been a change in the manual. I seem to remember the test I described as being in the manual for my '04 ST. Looking through the manual for the '07 the only tests listed are on pages 5-53 and 5-54 for pressure and volume. The pump should put out 6.1 oz @ 50 PSI over 10 seconds. Low results could be a clogged line or filter and possibly the pump itself.

Len
Thanks, Len. That's about 0.28 Gal / Min or 17 Gal / Hr. ( at 50 psi )

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I changed my '05 at around 120K, whether it needed it or not. Just thought it would be a good idea before a 2,000 + mile trip I was taking. Other than that, I replaced the pump assembly in the '04#2 not long after I got it. It had been sitting in a storage shed for six years, the engine ran great after that! :D

Top Bottom