Selling friend's 2002 ST4s

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
My friend's brother in law has failing health and needs to sell his bike. The bike was stored at my friend's house. I offered to help sell it. 13K miles, looks clean. Appears that it has not had the valves checked or any service done since 700 mile service. Another buddy says I should get it all done, prospective buyers would want that and pay more. The shop I talked to said I might be opening a can of worms, if there is major work needed on the valves or rockers, it could cost thousands.
Any thoughts?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My friend's brother in law has failing health and needs to sell his bike. The bike was stored at my friend's house. I offered to help sell it. 13K miles, looks clean. Appears that it has not had the valves checked or any service done since 700 mile service. Another buddy says I should get it all done, prospective buyers would want that and pay more. The shop I talked to said I might be opening a can of worms, if there is major work needed on the valves or rockers, it could cost thousands.
Any thoughts?
When they are running right, ST4s are fantastic sport tourers, and with the right pipes, sound beautiful. When they quit sounding beautiful, grab your wallet!
Just the service alone which is fluid change, CO check, valve check and belt replacement at a dealer is way over $1000 on a 4V, liquid cooled Ducati. With a valve ADJUSTMENT, it gets worse. That is why many of us Ducati guys have learned to do it ourselves or just stay with the old 2V air cooled bike, which is expensive enough. A friend bought a used ST4s and said he had to take the whole front end apart just to get to the horizontal cylinder!

OP
OP
STOC# 889
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the note. Think I'll try to sell as is. I replaced the battery last weekend. Wow, to get to the battery, I had to take the side plastic off, to do that, I had to take the front plastic off, to get that off, I had to take the windshield off first!!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Get in touch with Larry (IGOFAR). He lives in the San Jose area and might be able to help out for a lot less than a shop would charge!

Top Bottom