Has anyone installed kuryakyn ISO-grips on ST1300?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Ok, the grips I have on the bike (stock) are too narrow and too hard. I had ISO grips on old bike and loved them. They were just the opposite: large diameter and much softer. So, can I put them on an ST1300?

There are two considerations:
1. Could I later add heating (Oxford/Symtec)?
2. Do I need bar end weights?

I have a mc Cruise control so don't need grips that will work with a throttle lock.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I have heated show chrome grips no weights needed. +1 on the thinness of the EOM grips. Way to small for me i had the iso grips on my 05 st1300. And now heated show chrome on my 07 st1300 . they work great even after 4300 miles

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
My friends with ISO grips on their cruisers say the heated grips are basically useless, FWIW. My wife has had the knock of ISOs on both her bikes and loves then, but no heated grips.
I would imagine that because of their thickness and air-cushioned grip they would be poor conductors of heat. However, being that I live in SE New Mexico (read: West Texas) where it is dry and warm, and the fact that I don't go on long trips (especially in the winter) I really don't need heated grips. But, I do need more comfortable grips!

Thanks, doug

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have heated show chrome grips no weights needed. +1 on the thinness of the EOM grips. Way to small for me i had the iso grips on my 05 st1300. And now heated show chrome on my 07 st1300 . they work great even after 4300 miles
How do you like your show chrome grips? How do they compare to the thickness and comfort of the iso-grips?

Also, do you remember which model of iso-grips you had on your ST1300?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Ah, ok. I only mentioned my friends' experiences as you asked about adding heated grips at some point.
Sorry, that was a cryptic text I posted...I got confused as I was replying to two different posts...I was agreeing with you that iso-grips (like your friend's comment) wouldn't work well with heating elements.

For me, comfort is going to take priority over heat. I agree with your wife that the iso style grips are really comfortable.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Avon sells heated "air-cushioned" grips. I'm guessing the heat is somehow transferred better than the iso grips with separate elements. The only problem is the controller mounts to the handlebar and the ST1300 has no room for it...

I wonder if I could use a controller from a different set of grips...

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
How do you like your show chrome grips? How do they compare to the thickness and comfort of the iso-grips?

Also, do you remember which model of iso-grips you had on your ST1300?

Thanks.
The grips get plenty warm . I have 43000 not 4300. I don't remember model number . I will see what I can find out. They are as comfortable as the iso grips . forget the other posters in regards to rubber thickness and heat transfer. I don't know why people have opinions on an item they have not used. :(

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
The grips get plenty warm . I have 43000 not 4300. I don't remember model number . I will see what I can find out. They are as comfortable as the iso grips . forget the other posters in regards to rubber thickness and heat transfer. I don't know why people have opinions on an item they have not used. :(
I believe this is the set I have http://www.motosport.com/product?pssource=true&segment=badger-street&key=Show-Chrome-Heated-Comfort-Grips&adpos=1o4&creative=64385814265&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwucmoBRDmysGsgbDr5j0SJAAxL9abJ8NRYmVbhocl0kSzrIsTKS4l-mLGlYUITGVFrkuahBoCb4fw_wcB&mmy=honda;st1300;2007&mmy_source=pdp

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Avon sells heated "air-cushioned" grips. I'm guessing the heat is somehow transferred better than the iso grips with separate elements. The only problem is the controller mounts to the handlebar and the ST1300 has no room for it...

I wonder if I could use a controller from a different set of grips...
Yes you can use a different controller . There is room on handle bars . I mounted mcl resivoir covers on my brake and clutch and that gave me 3/8 threaded mounts. Or extend the screws holding brake or clutch levers and mount bracket to them i have made both modications for the price of heated grips you might look at these i have on my bike.http://www.motosport.com/product?pssource=true&segment=badger-street&key=Show-Chrome-Heated-Comfort-Grips&adpos=1o4&creative=64385814265&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwucmoBRDmysGsgbDr5j0SJAAxL9abJ8NRYmVbhocl0kSzrIsTKS4l-mLGlYUITGVFrkuahBoCb4fw_wcB&mmy=honda;st1300;2007&mmy_source=pdp

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Is there a reason why the ST1300 is not listed as a fitment for these (Avon) 7/8 grips? Was it accidentally left off our is there something unique that prevents them from working?

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
This probably doesn't help you with heating, but I put "Grip Puppies" over my stock grips several years ago and still use them. They make the grip larger and a bit softer to the touch. They've held up very well, but I don't know if they even still make/sell them.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Is there a reason why the ST1300 is not listed as a fitment for these (Avon) 7/8 grips? Was it accidentally left off our is there something unique that prevents them from working?
Nevermind...I realized those are all 1"bars...

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Yes you can use a different controller . There is room on handle bars . I mounted mcl resivoir covers on my brake and clutch and that gave me 3/8 threaded mounts. Or extend the screws holding brake or clutch levers and mount bracket to them i have made both modications for the price of heated grips you might look at these i have on my bike.http://www.motosport.com/product?pssource=true&segment=badger-street&key=Show-Chrome-Heated-Comfort-Grips&adpos=1o4&creative=64385814265&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwucmoBRDmysGsgbDr5j0SJAAxL9abJ8NRYmVbhocl0kSzrIsTKS4l-mLGlYUITGVFrkuahBoCb4fw_wcB&mmy=honda;st1300;2007&mmy_source=pdp
Ok, I think I'm giving up on the Avon's...I might could squeeze the controller on to the bar but it would be tight. In addition, the grips are for 1" bars so a shim would be necessary. I can buy and slide on a 7/8" ID with 1" OD metal tube and JB weld or set screw it on...or I could but some grip tape (like on hockey sticks) and build up the bars. Both would work, but again, at that point I would have had to:
1) figure out where to put controller
2) shim the bars
3) pay more for expensive grips

Looks like your suggestion of the Show Chrome grips is the way to go.

However, on the link you provided, there was no model number. I prefer using Amazon but I want to get the right one. Do you happen to know the model number of the ones you have? Sorry for all the trouble...and thanks for your help. doug

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Will these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Accessories-17-380-Comfort/dp/B00EFATY9O/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427472688&sr=1-8&keywords=chrome+heated+grips

Also, did you take off your bar-end weights? Actually, I don't know if the ST1300 comes with them or if the PO of my bike put them on. I was hoping that I could take them off since I was installing cushioned grips.

Last edited:

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Will these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Accessories-17-380-Comfort/dp/B00EFATY9O/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427472688&sr=1-8&keywords=chrome+heated+grips

Also, did you take off your bar-end weights? Actually, I don't know if the ST1300 comes with them or if the PO of my bike put them on. I was hoping that I could take them off since I was installing cushioned grips.
those should work it says they are open ended for bar weights mine are closed ends i dont know if they are too long for your bar weights to work , but then again you dont need them . as i have said before 43k miles on my grips and no bar weights even with my carpel tunnel wrist

Top Bottom