How would you describe the ST1300 Power Plant?

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
Effortless power.

I drove a Kawaski Vulcan 1500 and a Victory Vegas 8-Ball 1600. They struggled to get above 160 kph, and it wasn't comfortable. To the person that said top heavy, the Vulcan was the definition of top heavy. The Victory was nice and low, but that was what I hated about it - it was too low. Not pleasant in twisties or at high speed because I didn't want to slap a windshield on it. This bike seems as comfortable and powerful to me in a way I haven't experienced since my first bike - a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 750S. (which was an inline 4)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My ST will not pull to the limiter in 5th. The electronic rev limiter stutters the engine at about 9250 rpm. Top speed is about 8400-8500 rpm with the tach needle just inside the red zone.

Sochiro Honda was supposed to have believed the V4 was the optimal engine configuration for a motorcycle but I could not find the reference without access to my bookshelf. It's reasonably compact and has perfect primary balance. With the addition of a pair of counterbalance shafts in the ST1300 rotating opposite to the crankshaft it has nearly perfect primary and secondary balance to remove almost all vibrations. However the market did not agree in the 1980s and the company was forced to continue to develop more popular inline fours along with the V4.
In all likelihood, I mistook the hunting around 240-245kph as the limiter cutting in and out but probably due to small changes in road conditions, elevation changes, wind, etc.

Rod

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I describe the engine as if it were an electric motor to those that ask. Quiet, good torque, a bit of a whine ... well disguised power.

Top Bottom