Drive train greasing

Bike
1994 st 1100
Hello all

I'm just going through the drama of changing my alternator 28 amp to new 28 amp and i have looked at other post regarding greasing.
Could someone just let me know how much grease am i applying, as when i look inside swing arm there seems to be a lot of grease on sides.
Do i need to wash this all out to avoid the munge and if so how much to i put back.
I would also be grateful if some one could just in layman's terms starting at engine explain which grease to use at different parts .
The grease i have is Comma cv lith-moly grease and pro Honda 60 moly paste
I am a novice at mechanics but thanks to your help this job so far has gone well

thanks in advance

puttyhead.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Clean the swing arm bearings and races with a lint free cloth until clean. Rotate the tapered bearings in their cages to get as much out as possible. Some might recommend a "wash" with a degreaser, but, IMO, not necessary. Coat the inner bearing races (inside the swingarm) with waterproof wheel bearing grease (NLGI #2) and also rub it well into the caged bearings, so that all is covered with a light coating of grease before installation.

The Moly 60 is used to coat the engine output shaft to driveshaft splines and also the driveshaft to rear drive splines. Also use that on the rear wheel hub assembly and splines.

Your Honda Service Manual, if you got one, shows all the necessary lubrication points and what to use where.

Did you manage to get the stator housing off with no problems?

OP
OP
Bike
1994 st 1100
Hello Bush
i have two of the three bolts out but the bolt you can see through side cover is ringed so have ordered an extractor.
Inside the swing arm where drive shalf goes there is a lot of grease does that need to be in there

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hello Bush
i have two of the three bolts out but the bolt you can see through side cover is ringed so have ordered an extractor.
Inside the swing arm where drive shalf goes there is a lot of grease does that need to be in there
If you mean it is on the driveshaft/swingarm housing, no, it doesn't need to be there. Nothing is contacting that.

Back to that bolt - what do you mean "ringed"?

OP
OP
Bike
1994 st 1100
Its an allen key bolt and the head has been worn away inside so no allen {ringed} British slang lol

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OK, then by "extractor" you mean a socket with "teeth" that will grab the outer circumference of that bolt?

OP
OP
Bike
1994 st 1100
I have ordered bolts as well. Delivery have been dispatched will arrive hopefully in about five days subject to customs

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My wife was born in York and we've visited there three times in the past and we watch Coronation Street daily, so I'm up on most of the talk.

An extractor can also be a tool you use to remove a broken bolt, which involves some drilling, which I highly recommend you DON"T try if that bolt head shears off.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Coat the inner bearing races (inside the swingarm) with waterproof wheel bearing grease (NLGI #2) and also rub it well into the caged bearings, so that all is covered with a light coating of grease before installation.
Agree on that, plus (assiduity task): lube the V-seals of the s/arm bearings with silicone grease (used for all kinds of O-rings, avail like at scuba shops, etc...)

Quality silicone grease (not spray!) comes handy on all kinds of rubber seals on the bike, hence even for the O-rings of the stator and alternator base, gas-cap seal, thermostat cap, etc, etc...

And while the swing-arm is already out and you're on your belly underneath the bike anyway, remove shift- and brake lever from their pivots, clean and lube the bushings and "silicone grease" the small V-seals in there. (those are highly neglected items... ;-) )

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Molly paste (>40%) on the trannie output shaft/driveshaft u-joint splines. Moly grease (>3%) on the driveshaft, driveshaft joint, and pinion cup splines. As shown in the Honda Service Manual.

There should be no grease on the inside surface of the swingarm housing.

John

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Molly paste (>40%) on the trannie output shaft/driveshaft u-joint splines. Moly grease (>3%) on the driveshaft, driveshaft joint, and pinion cup splines. As shown in the Honda Service Manual.

There should be no grease on the inside surface of the swingarm housing.

John
Thanks for correcting me on the Moly differences John. Even though I did that job recently, I forgot that I had also used the grease, not the paste, where you noted.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Moly grease (>3%) on the driveshaft, driveshaft joint, and pinion cup splines. As shown in the Honda Service Manual.
Interestingly a lot of STs seem to never have received some 3% grease on drive-shaft and joint to begin with...
By now I've owned 3, worked on a number of others, and always found that drive-shaft bone dry...
And quite often the pinion cup is "flooded" from final drive oil seeping though the seal... also not ideal as the oil washes the Moly off them parts...

Top Bottom