John Johnson

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
With heavy heart and teary eye I have to report that John Johnson (ST1300) passed away recently. John lived in the Chilliwack, BC area for many years where he taught high school computers and math. John had a degree in computer science + the full top level CISCO certifications one must conclude that money was not his motivation in teaching. He was truly one of those whom every teacher would like to be. Students from past years would drop in and contact him to ask advice and to share their lives. He was kind and helpful beyond imagining in advising and supporting our younger son with regards studies and career choices despite that our son was not even a student at his school.

John grew up in extremely poor conditions and joined the US Marines when barely over the age and required parent's permission. He joined because he was literally starving. He retired as a full colonel and F15 pilot, which service people will know is "enough said".

John was a man whom, frankly, I still cannot imagine deserving of his friendship. Were you ever the nonathletic small boy who was allowed to play on a team with older elite players, supported and protected from failure? That's how I always felt in John's company.

This world is truly a poorer place.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
Norm,

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like John lived his life well.
I wish you peace over the coming months.

Dave

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Sad to hear of such a mentor passing! In the acknowledgement of your own words, we know the world is a better place because of him. He obviously planted some good seeds... they too, in time will pay dividends. Rip, John.

With heavy heart and teary eye I have to report that John Johnson (ST1300) passed away recently. John lived in the Chilliwack, BC area for many years where he taught high school computers and math. John had a degree in computer science + the full top level CISCO certifications one must conclude that money was not his motivation in teaching. He was truly one of those whom every teacher would like to be. Students from past years would drop in and contact him to ask advice and to share their lives. He was kind and helpful beyond imagining in advising and supporting our younger son with regards studies and career choices despite that our son was not even a student at his school.

John grew up in extremely poor conditions and joined the US Marines when barely over the age and required parent's permission. He joined because he was literally starving. He retired as a full colonel and F15 pilot, which service people will know is "enough said".

John was a man whom, frankly, I still cannot imagine deserving of his friendship. Were you ever the nonathletic small boy who was allowed to play on a team with older elite players, supported and protected from failure? That's how I always felt in John's company.

This world is truly a poorer place.
Norm, my name is Gina Hanson and I am John Johnson's daughter - my parents divorced when I was a baby, and I've been searching for any information regarding him. It seems as if he as deeply impacted your life. If you could find space and time in your life, I'd love to chat with you to find out more about him. My email is Ginaismycoach@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance, G.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Norm, my name is Gina Hanson and I am John Johnson's daughter
My condolences for the loss of your Father. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Norm has not logged in to this site since last June.
You will have a much better chance of getting his attention if you send him a private message. By default private messages are linked to the user's email address. If he has not disabled this function he will see your message in his email.

Click the below link to initiate a private message to Norm.
If for some reason the link does not work, hold your mouse cursor over his user name until another window appears. In that window click on the Start conversation button that is found along the bottom.

Good luck to you.

Norm

Last edited:
My condolences for loss of your Father. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Norm has not logged in to this site since last June.
You will have a much better chance of getting his attention if you send him a private message. By default private messages are linked to the user's email address. If he has not disabled this function he will see your message in his email.

Click the below link to initiate a private message to Norm.
If for some reason the link does not work, hold you mouse cursor over his user name until another window appears. In that window click on the Start conversation button that is found along the bottom.

Good luck to you.

Norm
Thank you so much Andrew! I've just sent off a pm, hopefully that works. I truly appreciate your help and I wish you all the best in life! G.

Welcome to the ST-Owners forum Gina.
I pray you find closure.
Awww, thank you Jim! I've been trying to track him down for over 20 years, and with a name like John Johnson, it's not been easy! I'm also grateful to Norm, he gave me a beautiful insight to the man I've never known. Y'all are really sweet to reach out and help me. THANK YOU!

Thought I'd put up the only pfullsizeoutput_41e5.jpeghoto of my Dad that I've ever had. In doing this, I realize I am probably breaking every rule on this forum for off topic, etc. so I'll confine my conversations to pm's. Again, my thanks to you all who reached out to help me. XO, G.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thought I'd put up the only pfullsizeoutput_41e5.jpeghoto of my Dad that I've ever had. In doing this, I realize I am probably breaking every rule on this forum for off topic, etc. so I'll confine my conversations to pm's. Again, my thanks to you all who reached out to help me. XO, G.
Nah...I think this hits everyone's heartstrings in a way that is more on topic than anything motorcycle related.

I want to thank you all for helping me connect with Norm who was a friend of my father, John Johnson. I promised I’d update y’all, so I’ll paraphrase just some of the things Norm shared with me:

John’s family were very poor and he was kicked out of his home at 17. He was literally starving to death when he discovered that the Marine Corps would take him in. He served several tours in Vietnam and when he finished his enlistment he applied for educational funding and ended up studying in Israel. He moved into an apartment facing the sea in Haifa when the building was machine gunned by an Arab or Egyptian gunboat. As the apartment faced directly into the fire, John was beside himself with fear until he was able to assure that his wife was unharmed.

After that, he reenlisted as an officer and flew jets and got a degree in computer science, and held the top level of certifications with CISCO Systems. He taught computer networking at Sardis Secondary School. He used to spend his summers working for CISCO doing networking and switching systems, making more money in those 2 months than he made for a year's teaching but neither he nor his wife cared much about money, they liked helping young people by teaching.

He was very detailed and his integrity was prime. After he found his sport tourer (he had a Honda ST1300 as the last motorcycle), he moved to a BMW scooter. The dealer was not very competent or through which made John wild as neither incompetency or being loose with commitments would fly with him….I recall that he was venting a few times. Being told, "I told you not to buy a BMW" made him mumble under his breath but he was too honest to try to pretend that I wasn't right. When he became really frustrated over someone, he seemed to see himself in a mirror and laugh.

John was old school, so keeping his word, social responsibility, and his integrity were very significant. If he made any kind of commitment, even as small as "see you tomorrow" one could take it to the bank.

He was great company.

That’s my dad. That’s what I found through your forum, through Norm, and through the others who helped me connect with him. Because you all cared to reach out and help me, you’ve given me the very beginnings of an amazing story of an amazing man, the father I’ve never known.

May God bless you all as you’ve gifted me with the first chapter of my heritage. Thank YOU!

XO, Gina.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Good for you.
He sounds like a Father to be proud of.
May your journey of discovery continue.

Good luck.

Top Bottom