Okay, I will finally admit it

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, I will finally admit that my beloved '06 ST1300 fell over last October. I'm not really sure if this is a "drop" or what--you be the judge. Here's my story.

In October of 2014 I rode from my home in Palm Coast, Florida up to Suches, Georgia for a few days of riding the wonderful north Georgia mountain roads. I rolled into the Two Wheels of Suches campground mid-afternoon and picked a campsite close to the bathhouse/restroom building and well away from the only other camper in the campground. If you've ever been there you know there are no pads to park the bikes on in the campground, only place to park by your tent was either the gravel road or the grass. The campground had received a lot of rain the week before. I pulled into the grass heading back toward the exit and put down my kickstand on a small kickstand pad I carry. Then I made the "fatal" mistake of attempting to put the bike on the center stand. I was parked sideways between the road and the small creek and there is a slight downward elevation drop toward the creek. As soon as I pulled the bike back onto the center stand I knew I had made a HUGE mistake because the center stand immediately sunk into the damp earth and the bike started leaning over to the right, wanting to fall over down hill. I stood there attempting to hold it up and trying to figure out how to correct the situation. There was no one within earshot to call for help. I decided to try to work my way around the back of the fully loaded ST to get on the down hill side and before I could do anything the ST fell completely over on its right side!! It was actually a bit past horizontal. I couldn't raise it back up, so I made the embarrassing walk up to the TWoS office, where several bikers were just hanging out and asked for help. Three or four guys came and helped me get the ST back up, offering condolences, etc. ;-) The right mirror was shattered and the turn signal cowl had two broken mounts. I subsequently parked on the road and I did not let this spoil my trip or my riding. And within ten days of returning home I had everything fixed (thanks to Partszilla!) You be the judge--was this a drop or what?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Definitely a drop...the optional skyhook farkle would have eliminated it.....ride safe, ride well........ff

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bill, the only question here is: Why 6 mo. to admit that stuff happens? LOL
Well, I did tell you guys all about it at FL-STOC last November, so I did admit it I guess. Now I will also admit that I might have brought it up rather late in the evening after several libations had been absorbed. ;-) I just never posted it here as a drop. LOL

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you see the number of drops I have? For some reason 5 or 6 were in the same year, still haven't figured that out.
Hah - thats nothing. I should pass you this year. Lol - not that I'm planning on it, its just that it seems to happen with alarming frequency. I pulled up to a gas station in Canada last summer and there was water and oil on the ground at the pumps. I put my feet out, as I drifted in, realized how slippery the ground was, and kept riding right past the gas pump to a competitor a few miles down the road.... I'm learning.

I'm gonna invest in the company that makes the plastic covers for the tip over guards.....

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
My one drop showed me how expensive drops can be with an ST1300!! It would have been even more expensive if my drop had not been on grass.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Honesty goes a long way... and it gets you into this elite group as well!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
If only you had one of those long braided-leather ropes on your handlebars ...btw, what are those for?

Anyway, my 12 year old son was "hopping" on the back seat last week and we nearly went down in the garage. There were four problems:
1) he climbed on before I was prepared
2) my hands weren't on the handlebars (I was snapping my helmet strap)
3) he tried to get on from the right side, where is no side stand to stop us
4) he grabbed my shoulder to pull up, which threw me off balance.

It took me a second or two to realize why my right leg was straining to hold up the bike. Had we gone over it would have been bad, as we were next to my wife's SUV; it probably would've pinned us both.

We both survived and learned some valuable lessons. I didn't have to manufacture/fabricate fear for him. He was scared enough to learn that was nearly a really bad moment. This was one of those rare occasions where no amount of discipline would be more effective than the natural consequences. Now we both pay better attention.

Glad your damage was minimal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
If only you had one of those long braided-leather ropes on your handlebars ...btw, what are those for?

Anyway, my 12 year old son was "hopping" on the back seat last week and we nearly went down in the garage. There were four problems:
1) he climbed on before I was prepared
2) my hands weren't on the handlebars (I was snapping my helmet strap)
3) he tried to get on from the right side, where is no side stand to stop us
4) he grabbed my shoulder to pull up, which threw me off balance.

It took me a second or two to realize why my right leg was straining to hold up the bike. Had we gone over it would have been bad, as we were next to my wife's SUV; it probably would've pinned us both.

We both survived and learned some valuable lessons. I didn't have to manufacture/fabricate fear for him. He was scared enough to learn that was nearly a really bad moment. This was one of those rare occasions where no amount of discipline would be more effective than the natural consequences. Now we both pay better attention.

Glad your damage was minimal.
Yes, for sure, very glad you caught it and didn't go over!! 700 lbs can do some damage. Glad you and your son are okay!

Top Bottom