Want to install a DUAL USB Charger

Bike
2003 ST1300
What has anyone else done to install a Dual USB charger on their ST1300? It would be so much easier if this bike had regular round bars, as all my previous bikes I've installed handlebar mounted USB plugs.. but in this case the bars arent round so I have to think of something else. Im thinking of a small dual USB charger in the fairings somewhere but I don't want to install a plug into the pockets.. wires wouldn't be able to be taken in and out so easily. What areas of the fairings have people installed items like this, as I haven't seen many pictures so I wanted some ideas... Thanks!!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I used the speaker grills in the lower dash area, but then it presents the problem of having to unplug the charger or cords to get into the pockets.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
I like all these Suggestions! I saw those units and I do like them, but I am curious as to where everyone is installing them? where is there enough space to install these with out using the inside of the pockets.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Before purchasing the cheap ones, check out this thread. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?136003-Technically-the-same-but-not-what-expected-(USB-outlet)

Personally, I'd opt for Powerlets option (Waterproof and reliable): http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-plug-to-dual-usb-adapter-21a/585

I'd spend the money to install a Powerlet socket and install the socket in either the left side panel (where the Hondaline grip heater controls would be mounted http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/honda-st1300-pan-european/product/powerlet-socket-kit-48-harness/159/378), or a head plate cover http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=3

I have both.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I went the powerlet route. One in the MCL cover per the link above, and a powerlet just below each of the two side pockets. I plug a dual USB adapter into the powerlet. But, there is a rub. The powerlet to USB adapter costs a squirt under $50, and I balked, so I'm left with a cigarette to powerlet adapter and a usb to cigarette stacked between the handlebars. I just found a cheap ($5.00) cig to USB single adapter that fits almost flush with the top of the cig to powerlet adapter, so it is not so awkward.

If you look at SteveST1300's link, you can remove the individual sockets from that short strip of 'dashboard' material (aka plastic). Then you could install the dual USB socket anywhere you like.

Bike
04 st1300A
if you already have a cigarette lighter type power port in the side pocket you can go to the dollar store and get a plug with 2 USB ports for $2 - $3 I know some people won't like the idea of Dollar store plugs but I have had no problem with them in my car.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
my dual usb and cig charger are mounted in right speaker pocket. and the unit is marine use rated . it has 1 2amp usb and 1 1amp usb and cig outlet

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
9 years ago I mounted a Marinco locklng 12v power outlet in the front wall of the RH fairing pocket. The spade terminal fittings to it are easily disconnected/ reconnected for middle cowl removal and installation by reaching up inside the opening covered by the inner cowl. I can use a standard cig lighter charger in the power point or insert a dual outlet USB adaptor in the Marinco for multiple devices. I use the two USB cables for charging a phone, a spare device battery, or the Sena helmet communicator.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Hey Guys! Im looking for some examples that are NOT placed inside the pockets, I need it to be external as I will be using it to power camera/phone that are mounted up on my dash board.. If I was looking to just charge a device in the pocket, that would be great...but I can't have a cable sticking out the pocket with the door/flap open in the wind! :D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Over this past winter I installed a cigarette lighter style socket on the right fairing, immediately behind the fairing pocket lid, for exactly that purpose. I stick my two-USB RadioSchlock adapter into the socket and connect the phone with the regular USB cable.

Mick posted an excellent write-up of his wiring project, including locations of the sockets he installed on the fairings.

See also the article "ST1300 - Powerlet install with pics". Post #1 has a meticulously-documented description, including dimensioned photos, of exactly where to mount them if you want them on the fairings. I found this to be an invaluable reference when I did mine in January.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You can file a notch at the bottom rear of the pocket to run the wires thru. I have my Wing that way, and if I weren't so lazy, the ST1300 would be finished the same way. I run my GPS and GoPro off a dual USB outlet, made by Bluesea, and sold by Amazon. I'll try to take a picture, later, if I can climb up on the lift for a pic. The Wing is getting a final drive transplant.

John

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I hear you but in 152,000 miles I haven't seen or experienced a problem with a cable or door "flapping in the wind". The fairing pocket doors keep water out even left ajar to lead a cable out. The advantage to me is when not in use the outlet is out of the weather and the 15 Ah capacity of the outlet doubles as in the inlet for my batter charger/tender. 15 Ah is also large enough to power my 12v tire compressor for roadside tire repair.

However, what ever works for you is good too.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
I hear you but in 152,000 miles I haven't seen or experienced a problem with a cable or door "flapping in the wind". The fairing pocket doors keep water out even left ajar to lead a cable out. The advantage to me is when not in use the outlet is out of the weather and the 15 Ah capacity of the outlet doubles as in the inlet for my batter charger/tender. 15 Ah is also large enough to power my 12v tire compressor for roadside tire repair.

However, what ever works for you is good too.
interesting. I keep forgetting about the wind protection, your right it wouldn't flap lol. I ride a lot of cruisers that have none so I getting used to it still.

Ill have to to have a look again and see where id like to mount something.
First thing first though, gotta learn how to take the bike fairings off so I can see how to wire it all up

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lots of folks mount them just behind the fairing pockets.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Alright so I went down on my bike to check out a couple of wiring solutions, and my first time taking off the hard bags and removing the side covers. What I expected to see was some wires running to the battery from an already existing 12v plug below the right pocket, heated grips and on the left side is the heated grip controller, there is also a garmin Zumo powered up as well. When I looked carefully the only accessory I can see plugged into the battery are the Dual Powerlet ports that the previous owner installed, right next to the adjustment for the rear shock.. the wires run with a fuse straight to the battery. I looked on both the right and left side and dont see where these accessories are being powered from, I figured I would of found a Fuseblock maybe since all the accessories turn on only when the ignition is on.

Can anyone recommend where else all these accessories could be powered from? When I try and follow my garmin Zumo power line it goes into the bike and then towards the right and then disappears.. but not to the battery thats for sure.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hey Guys! Im looking for some examples that are NOT placed inside the pockets, I need it to be external as I will be using it to power camera/phone that are mounted up on my dash board.. If I was looking to just charge a device in the pocket, that would be great...but I can't have a cable sticking out the pocket with the door/flap open in the wind! :D
There really are not too many places to install a powerlet or similar plug-in device on the ST. You are limited to between the handlebars, below the dash pocket covers, inside the pockets, on dash where speakers go if you have no speakers, or a dual port on a bracket lower and aft. Oh yes, and maybe in a top box. But that's about it for powerlet locations that are exposed to the outside. Sure you can custom fabricate a bracket and attach one to the forks, but nobody seems to do that.

Other power take off options would be a cord w/ quick detach connector dribbling out from between the handlebars, around the mirrors or sneaking out under a fairing joint or even lurking beneath the seat.

Getting power for the powerlets or loose connectors is limited to the quartet harness and direct from the battery or an auxiliary fusebox. Sure you can pirate power from somewhere on the bike, but that is not good electrical practice. Go read Valkman's great thread about the project bike/repaint pearl white that he wrote up recently. Wonderful story. What a generous guy! Though my point is its sorta frightening what some people do to the electrical system, and he details it with pictures.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Possibly using the quartet harness on the lower left side. Check this thread for information : Pinout

Last edited:
Top Bottom