Want to install a DUAL USB Charger

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Not a ST mount, but on a GW with rectangular shaped bars. You said originally that you wanted it bar mounted.
I also wanted a bar mounted charger close to my phone holder. This is the Blue Sea dual USB that I double zip tied to the right handlebar. Hope this might help you someway.
Tim
CAM00700.jpg
CAM00701.jpg
CAM00702.jpg
CAM00705.jpg

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
That's some fine engineering indeed! But I've decided now what type of USB plug I'm going to install. It's got a mount with an adhesive that would mount perfectly against one of the flat surfaces near the front and plus it also has an inline fuse already attached making for one less trip to Canadian tire. I like it also because it has no led to drain the battery when nothing is plugged in.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
Do you know the rating of the two ports? I was trying to find a multiple USB port to charge things but it seems all the multi-port outlets have one high and one low current port. I'll be charging a tablet on an external socket (probably going to mount it at the speaker location or the left fairing pocket lid), and sometimes a Samsung phone at the same socket. Inside my tank bag will be my work phone, Sena SMH10 cord, 2nd phone when weather is bad and I want it in my bag, and at times my Nikon AW120. I'll be looking for a 4-port charger for the tank bag, but all have to be higher output than just 1a.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
From the previous USB chargers I had I am sure that this one has the same setup as the rest.. One port is 2.1a and the other 1.0a. So yeah you can charge an iPad or tablet on the one port easily.

edit: according to this description it's a dual 2.1a USB plug. That would be cool!
http://m.dx.com/p/DetailMore?sku=312937&tabIndex=1

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
From the previous USB chargers I had I am sure that this one has the same setup as the rest.. One port is 2.1a and the other 1.0a. So yeah you can charge an iPad or tablet on the one port easily.

edit: according to this description it's a dual 2.1a USB plug. That would be cool!
http://m.dx.com/p/DetailMore?sku=312937&tabIndex=1
I don't know if this manufacturer follows any industry rules, but for most electrical devices, the output of the device given is the TOTAL output, not individual port outlets unless so specified. So a muti port USB charger with an output of 2.1 amps would have a power supply that can handle a load of said 2.1 amps with all ports being used. A bit of a caveat here. I'm an electrician dealing with electrical and not so much electronic hardware - so I am quoting what our convention is commonly accepted to be. When it comes to electronic things like music power vs rms power, you are treading into advertising wishful thinking and the 'mine is bigger than yours and will sell more units' mode.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
but for most electrical devices, the output of the device given is the TOTAL output, not individual port outlets
I have seen a few of these personally come and go.. and of course when I kill one I always perform an autopsy. Every one of them I have torn apart the USB ports are all wired in parallel to the single regulator. So yes, the ports all share and can not regulate the amount of power they supply.

Now what they might have is different resistance values that trip certain devices to change their desired charge rate. But there is no industry standard on how/what a device uses to determine it is plugged into a 2, 1 or 1/2 amp capable charger.

I would advise that these should be installed so that any collected rain water will drain when not being used. rain water will start to corrode the fine contact wires inside. and it doesn't take much to foul up an other wise beautifully functioning USB. ( speaking from experience) I know most of these sockets do come with cute lil plastic tethered caps- but the tethers break and the caps are soon lost. at least on a cig socket you can drill a drain hole in the bottom to allow the water to drain, I don't think there's enough room to do this on an USB. inside of a pocket it's much less of an issue

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Possibly using the quartet harness on the lower left side. Check this thread for information : Pinout
Yep, you were right. I ended up sending an email to the previous owner who said that when he installed the 12v plug and the garmin and the heated grip warmers that they are attached to the Honda Quartet plug.

Well that solves that mystery! Now, is there an easy wire I can use to get "switched" power from towards the battery that I can use for my USB plugs? Thanks!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yep, you were right. I ended up sending an email to the previous owner who said that when he installed the 12v plug and the garmin and the heated grip warmers that they are attached to the Honda Quartet plug.

Well that solves that mystery! Now, is there an easy wire I can use to get "switched" power from towards the battery that I can use for my USB plugs? Thanks!
The best way would be to mount an aux fuse block somewhere. Under the rear seat is a good spot. Have the power to it run through a relay which is triggered by the quartet harness. You will then have enough circuits for future use. I like to have aux components each on their own circuit whenever possible, that way if one circuit has a problem I still have the rest of my devices.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Try the 9 pin clear connector on the Quartet Harness. It's not used based on your description. The pinout is at https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?7682-ST1300-Quartet-Harness-Pinout
For the connectors try http://electricalconnection.com Do a search on "hitachi 9 pin"

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Here's what I did last weekend..

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/changed-power-to-givi-topbox-lots-of-pics-opinions-thoughts-wanted.168223/

If you look at the Givi box, there might be a small circle on the bottom intended for the Givi power plate. I drilled out that hole, drilled out the corresponding spot on the Givi mounting plate (since mine was an actual GIVI plate, there was already a circle outlined that married up to where I needed to drill), and then found a way to put a plug there.

I used an SAE Luggage Electrix kit from powerlet and I use SAE adaptors for whatever I want. I have SAE to cigarette adaptor and throw a USB in that cigarette adaptor to charge an ipad or something like that. THat's my most likely scenario. But I see no reason why you couldn't get one of those USB plugs meant for a motorcycle dashboard and put that down there.

Because I use the SAE luggage kit, the bag is completely removeable and if you want to secure the plug in the location I decided to put it, I'd suggest securing it to the bike so that the bottom of the Givi case is flat which makes bringing it inside and packing it easier.

Alexi

Here's what I did last weekend..

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/changed-power-to-givi-topbox-lots-of-pics-opinions-thoughts-wanted.168223/

If you look at the Givi box, there might be a small circle on the bottom intended for the Givi power plate. I drilled out that hole, drilled out the corresponding spot on the Givi mounting plate (since mine was an actual GIVI plate, there was already a circle outlined that married up to where I needed to drill), and then found a way to put a plug there.

I used an SAE Luggage Electrix kit from powerlet and I use SAE adaptors for whatever I want. I have SAE to cigarette adaptor and throw a USB in that cigarette adaptor to charge an ipad or something like that. THat's my most likely scenario. But I see no reason why you couldn't get one of those USB plugs meant for a motorcycle dashboard and put that down there.

Because I use the SAE luggage kit, the bag is completely removeable and if you want to secure the plug in the location I decided to put it, I'd suggest securing it to the bike so that the bottom of the Givi case is flat which makes bringing it inside and packing it easier.

Alexi

Thanks Alexi for the clear explanation of your USB install. Now it’s out to the garage to see if I can adopt some or all of your installation technique. Cheers!

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
This worked for me over two bikes and 7 years. Plenty of room behind, space above for RAM ball mount. Charging is more dependant on type of and quality of cable used from USB to device. I find from the same USB port a "Belkin" USB cable will charge my phone much quicker than one of the cheap cables. On my Galaxy Note 8 I use a program called "Ampere" to check the charging rate of any cable and there is quite a difference between the cheap cables and the more expensive ones. You get what you pay for !! Hope this helps.

Attachments

Top Bottom