Overfilled motoroil on my ST1300...

Bike
04 ST1300
Any thoughts on using a 15-40 oil instead of the recommended. Dealer told me to stick with 10-40, saying that the tolerance are very narrow for liquid cooled bikes and a thicker oil might not as beneficial as perceived.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Any thoughts on using a 15-40 oil instead of the recommended. Dealer told me to stick with 10-40, saying that the tolerance are very narrow for liquid cooled bikes and a thicker oil might not as beneficial as perceived.
You don't live in an area that gets REALLY hot, like the American southwest, although with climate change, this might not be true for much longer so, 10-40 is fine, but 15-40 would be fine also, unless you plan to ride in sub freezing temperatures.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Dealer told me to stick with 10-40, saying that the tolerance are very narrow for liquid cooled bikes and a thicker oil might not as beneficial as perceived.
Yay, another clueless dealer...

The number on the left has a W in it (e.g., 10W-40, 0W-20) which is the "Winter" number, where smaller numbers do a better job at not turning into goo as it gets colder. 20W is good down to ambient temperatures of 0?F, and every 5 you take off the number gets you another 10?F colder. This figure matters only when the engine is cold.

The number on the right is for operating temperature, and for that you should stick with the grade recommended by the manufacturer. A too-low viscosity (lower number) oil will run thinner at the same temperature and may end up in places nobody intended. Go too high and you'll have oil that's harder to pump around and may not get through passages as expected.

There wouldn't be any benefit i switching to from 10W-40 to 15W-40; all that would do is lose you the ability to start the engine in colder temperatures. (To be honest, if you're out riding in sub-zero temperatures, my hat's off to ya.)

--Mark

Top Bottom