Jackets 2015 First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Received this new jacket today and it looks good. I ordered the hi-vis version and it is bright! The XL size I ordered fits my 6'2" 220ish lb body nicely I think. The jacket is pretty stiff at this point, but from what I've read it will lose some of the stiffness over time and use. It appears to be put together very solidly. Why did I get it? For several reasons: 1) I wanted a waterproof jacket, 2) I wanted a 3/4 length jacket for extended touring, 3) I wanted a jacket with better visibility to other drivers and 4) I wanted a more all-around jacket for touring and moto-camping cool evening lounging instead of carrying extra full rain gear, fleece jacket or whatever. I'm not sure how this will work out, but I'm going to give it a try. I'm not sure how well this jacket will vent in warm weather, but will try it in our Florida weather soon (right now it's fairly cool here). Reviews I read (and I read a LOT of them) on this jacket were kind of mixed on how well it vents, so time will tell. I will update this post after I get some riding experience with it.

Attachments

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Looking forward to a review once you've had it a while... I'm planning on getting a new 3/4 hi-viz jacket this summer.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Have had my Kili for 15+ years and it's still going strong.
I'll be surprised if it will vent well enough for the upcoming Fla summer though.
80-85 is about my limit for it.
Other than that, it is a GREAT jacket!!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I love the hi viz yellow color. And the more I wear it and see others wearing theirs, the more at ease I feel walking into a convenience store after gassing up with it on. My experience with my First Gear (not the model you have) was not great in the rain so I bought a Frogg Toggs oversuit.

Big problem with the ST is lack of ventilation behind all that plastic and windshield. Don't get me wrong - I love it, but there is not enough air flow to hit the vents in the jacket in really hot weather. Fortunately, when it rains, it tends not to rain hot water......

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Looking forward to a review once you've had it a while... I'm planning on getting a new 3/4 hi-viz jacket this summer.
I have a couple of trips already planned for late April (Bob Donaldson Memorial Ride in FL and AL) and late June (RockSTOC in Colorado--by the time I get back I'll have a good 5,000+ miles in it), plus I'll be riding around in it here in Florida quite a bit. I'll have a pretty good idea what the riding experience in it will be by July.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a couple of trips already planned for late April (Bob Donaldson Memorial Ride in FL and AL) and late June (RockSTOC in Colorado--by the time I get back I'll have a good 5,000+ miles in it), plus I'll be riding around in it here in Florida quite a bit. I'll have a pretty good idea what the riding experience in it will be by July.
Thanks Bill. Enjoy your trips!

Just noticed your location. Wife and I will be in Ormond Beach mid April for a little vacation time. Was thinking about renting a GW. See this thread.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks Bill. Enjoy your trips!

Just noticed your location. Wife and I will be in Ormond Beach mid April for a little vacation time. Was thinking about renting a GW. See this thread.
I've never looked into renting a bike, so, sorry, I can't provide any advice on it down here in Florida. There is a bit of decent riding in the area, though, that I could lead you on or provide you advice on if you like, or for that matter, I can map them and send you a .gpx file if you want. Are you already familiar with the area?

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've never looked into renting a bike, so, sorry, I can't provide any advice on it down here in Florida. There is a bit of decent riding in the area, though, that I could lead you on or provide you advice on if you like, or for that matter, I can map them and send you a .gpx file if you want. Are you already familiar with the area?
Thanks for the offer Bill. I've never rented a bike either, so it's all new to me. If I do rent, it looks like it will have to be out of Orlando so if you have some good routes out of or around the Orlando area, please send them. I've been down there several times but I wouldn't say I'm familiar with it.

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
I've had a couple. The first one saved my hide during a 45 mph get off. As a testimonial, I bought
another one. Out west last year, I discovered the venting worked well in 100 degree dry heat.
In high humidity, here in Indiana during the summer, for me 85 is about it.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've had a couple. The first one saved my hide during a 45 mph get off. As a testimonial, I bought
another one. Out west last year, I discovered the venting worked well in 100 degree dry heat.
In high humidity, here in Indiana during the summer, for me 85 is about it.
Thanks for the input. I had a similar experience. When I totaled my first '06 ST1300 in 2006 I was wearing a First Gear jacket (don't remember what model). I low-sided the bike at 55 MPH and while I stayed on the bike the bike and I slid a long ways down the pavement on our left side. The left shoulder and elbow armor was ripped loose somewhere along the slide, but it mostly did its job as I only got a couple of very minor surface skin abrasions on my left shoulder and arm. I would agree that the jacket did prevent more serious road rash or worse.

I actually contacted First Gear and at their request I sent the jacket to them for their analysis, so perhaps it would help further improve their jackets. I footed the bill for the shipping and never heard a single word back from them; don't think I even got a thank you email. That kind of stuck in my crawl. This is my first FG product since and it was actually my second choice--number one was the Tourmaster Transition 3, but as much as I searched I could not find one in hi-vis in size XL. To be honest, I think this jacket is probably better than the Transition, though; at least it should be since it cost quite a bit more. LOL

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
[QUOTE;1840840]I have had mine (just the wider version) for two years now. When I was in Florida it was very hot but I used an LD long sleeve shirt under it and would soak it when I stopped for gas. As LD states close the flaps and cool air is the jacket isolates you,the only air up you sleeves and it seemed to work as advertised. I found the jacket really good in the wet too. Used the hood in the back under the helmet and no water down my back and stayed dry.

Thanks to this post I have just remembered I wanted to get some sleeve inserts I saw here call VENTZ, keeps the sleeve open for more air.

Enjoy..

Update: just ordered my ventz from the Uk thanks for reminding me...

http://www.ventz-range.com/[/QUOTE]

Glad I could be of service. ;-) And thanks for your input.

Bill F
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
[quote;1840840]Update: just ordered my ventz from the Uk thanks for reminding me...[/quote]

How much did it come to in US dollars (including shipping)?

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I've had mine for about 6 years now and the Velcro is starting to lose its grip. Otherwise, it's been a great jacket but way too warm for summer riding (my opinion). My older one is a bit heavy too (again, my opinion). That said, I'd buy another one! Good luck and safe riding!

Top Bottom