Dead speedometer and odometer on 1300, tach is good

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Any luck with resolving this?? Really STumped!
Gary.

No... no resolution yet. Just been busy with women, weather and whine. :-D

I'm pretty darn sure I screwed up a wire or connection. The speedometer and odometer has been coming and going... works for awhile and then quits.

I am planning on a Moonshine run, so another day where I don't fix it.

Oh... did a long run for Easter with a pillion. New spring worked great. Had about 350#'s on the bike with 2-up (sansa gear). No pre-load used and never felt like I was going to bottom out.

AWESOME!

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
How hard is it to replace that spring and where did you pick it up from?

I've got a almost brand new cop shock (409 miles) sitting in my parts bin and would like to put a heavier spring on it and then install it on my 2010!

And then I just looked at the parts lists on Partzilla and the cop shock is different number (and costs about $30 more) than the regular shock....hum. I wonder if they already have a heavier spring on it?
The hard part was getting it out & then back in. We put the shock in the vise, with wood blocks of course to remove the spring. I ordered and had the progressive shock spring compressor on hand. I did have to grind the part of the hook that fits into the top mount. also cut a piece of PVC plastic pipe like a big C to help push the spring down and still get to the keeper ring. Worked great! slipped the keeper ring out and then just removed the spring. I should have had someone get pictures of the process, but "Now" I think of that! I'll get some after thought pics when we get back from Moonshine.

Gary.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I've got a almost brand new cop shock (409 miles) sitting in my parts bin and would like to put a heavier spring on it and then install it on my 2010!

And then I just looked at the parts lists on Partzilla and the cop shock is different number (and costs about $30 more) than the regular shock....hum. I wonder if they already have a heavier spring on it?
In my ST1300 info archives I have a copy of an interview with Dave Hancock of Honda UK in which he discusses the suspension differences between the police and civilian bikes. I'll look it up tonight but I'm almost certain the shock spring is different and has a stiffer rate to cope with the 29kg weight difference of radios and police model subframe and accessory cover.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not hard when you have some friendly fellas with the right tools and garage space. (Thanks again Gary! :D)
The spring came from Traxxion. The other popular suspension company rubbed me wrong when I was out at WeSToc. A little too much 'How great are we and everyone else is feeding you BS while using sub quality parts.' as well as a really unwarranted comment about me being on a 205 wide tire.

the shock spring is different and has a stiffer rate to cope with the 29kg weight difference
It might be heavier, but is it still heavy enough? Don't know myself. I do know that I sent Traxxion the type of bike, my weights and the style of riding I do. They came back with a 1300# spring. If the stock spring is 750 to 800# (I hear or so I thought) then I would say the slightly heavier 29kg cop spring is still undersized for the average American rider.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
FWIW, I doubt you messed up the wiring. The wire leads to the VSS are really in tight spots & to damage them would take some real effort. You'll need to remove the starboard side Tupperware, the vacuum canister & hoses, and the engine tip-over guard just to gain access to where the VSS connects to the main wiring harness. How do I know? My speedo stopped working last Monday and I replaced it today. Not hard, just tedious. I didn't bother checking the wiring or do any other diagnostics because every post I've seen here resulted in replacing the VSS. If there's a post reporting a faulty wire, then it was beyond my search. Ordered my VSS from Ron Ayers and found a good price with FAST delivery. One more thing, if you're due for an oil change (I was), doing it along with the VSS would be convenient because you'll lose a bit of oil when it's removed.

Top Bottom