What can I do with this bar ?

v8-7

Site Supporter
Just throwing this out for group engineering/ideas .

Made from a shelf support in about 10 minutes and thought it might have some value.

Perhaps a larger diameter piece of rod would be be easier to utilize for ball mounts, ect .

Attachments

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Perhaps a larger diameter piece of rod would be be easier to utilize for ball mounts, ect .
So many accessorie out there that require a round handdle bar to mount too.
I can't think of any that I would see getting mounted there... but you never know... maybe a cup holder for your dijon mustard?

Bike
2010 ST1300
So many accessorie out there that require a round handdle bar to mount too.
I can't think of any that I would see getting mounted there... but you never know... maybe a cup holder for your dijon mustard?
A holder for grey poupon mustard?

OP
OP
v8-7

v8-7

Site Supporter
That's like a work of art ..Amazing job.

Mine is like a stick figure >-|o

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks. I did it in order to facilitate installing/removing multiple farkles in a single operation. On multi-day trips, I quickly tired of installing and adjusting the position of multiple farkles and knew I could make it simpler ... necessity being the mother of invention and all.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Have you tried riding it yet? It looks like everything is in the way if you are going to use the tank bag. When I used a tank bag, that space had to be open to turn the handle bars. Also, now you can not get to the CC switches easy looking at the photo. If you need to get under the fuel tank, you will have to pull all of that off. Nice Idea though.

OP
OP
v8-7

v8-7

Site Supporter
It looks like everything is in the way if you are going to use the tank bag. When I used a tank bag, that space had to be open to turn the handle bars. Also, now you can not get to the CC switches easy looking at the photo. If you need to get under the fuel tank, you will have to pull all of that off. Nice Idea though.
I'm just tinkering at this point ..I saw the shelf support on my workbench and I had that old radar detector that I have been wanting to mount somehow..

The picture makes it look like it may be in the way, but it's not.

My tank bag has always touched the bars at full lock and still does but no worse .
I have bar risers that are enough to elevate the bars and I just added riser blocks as well so there is ~ 2 inches of clearance for the tank bag.
It's all spare parts.. a 1 inch piece of tubing, perhaps conduit may be better suited .

I

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Good to hear. Please do not get me wrong, the things I was pointing out looked that way in the photos. I would come up with something like this and then run into more problems when I would try and use the bike. Hope the project works out, That can be half the fun!

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hoowasat, you started farkling and just couldn't stop! When you're riding, do you ever look at the road? -- Just sayin' -- Great engineering, impressive, really.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
When you're riding, do you ever look at the road?
Thanks! With that arrangement, the only thing which takes my glance off the road is the GPS ... similar problem no matter where it's mounted. What's not shown is the DVR monitor for the forward-facing camcorder. The aft-facing DVR gets mounted to my starboard tip-over bar. Gotta' glance over my right thigh to see that one. Howver, both remotes for the camcorders are now part of that removable dashboard.

OP
OP
v8-7

v8-7

Site Supporter
No, the tank can't be raised with the bar in place. It's hard enough to raise the tank in the stock config :)

Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks! With that arrangement, the only thing which takes my glance off the road is the GPS ... similar problem no matter where it's mounted. What's not shown is the DVR monitor for the forward-facing camcorder. The aft-facing DVR gets mounted to my starboard tip-over bar. Gotta' glance over my right thigh to see that one. Howver, both remotes for the camcorders are now part of that removable dashboard.
Are you kidding? Two dvrs? Just two monitors, or actual hard drives?

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have bar risers that are enough to elevate the bars and I just added riser blocks as well so there is ~ 2 inches of clearance for the tank bag.
You saying you have two different risers installed one on top of the other?

I think I read that in another thread someplace but don't know which risers they were using. I have a heli riser with the ball mount and the electrical plug, I don't think I could get another riser to work. Not sure though.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I think I read that in another thread someplace but don't know which risers they were using. I have a heli riser with the ball mount and the electrical plug, I don't think I could get another riser to work. Not sure though.
You can add the Gen-mar (or genuine Honda police ones) riser blocks on top of the Heli bar (or MCL copy-cat) riser plates.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
IIRC, isn't there a small amount of flex where the bars are mounted?
Just thinking aloud but I wonder if this metal bar will change or add to any vibration to the grips?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Are you kidding? Two dvrs? Just two monitors, or actual hard drives?
Two of THESE, but mine are not HD ... they're 1.5 models. I found there was too much waviness in the video with the HD model.

EDIT TO ADD: The POV VIO camcorders I use also run off the bike's 12VDC power and they're waterproof ... no need to stow 'em when it rains. I really like the fact that I can see what I'm recording.

Last edited:
Top Bottom