nuvi 2589LMT

Anyone using a Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT on your bike? Wife wants to mount it on her Harley Street 750. We know it is not waterproof. Plan to use the RAM X-Grip. Anything else we might need to know before we try it.

OP
OP
Craig Miller
The waterproof power port looks good. I will check into that. Thanks. I was in New Smyrna Beach last week visiting my brother. He lives in Venetian Bay. Beautiful there.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I have a 3940LMT that I switch between my Gold Wing and ST. It isn't water proof but if it rains I just put a Baggie over it-no problems. Both of my DC outlets are inside pockets so don't worry about the plug getting wet.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
The waterproof power port looks good. I will check into that. Thanks. I was in New Smyrna Beach last week visiting my brother. He lives in Venetian Bay. Beautiful there.
My sister in law lives in Venetian Bay too. Nice area.

OP
OP
Craig Miller
My wife used the Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT, mounted on her handle bars, running off the GPS battery on a 2 day trip. The GPS worked great, but the GPS battery lasted a couple hours at best. Now I want to hard wire the GPS power supply to the bike battery. This Harley Street 750 is a very new bike and I know you guys aren't most likely to be able to answer my questions on this specific bike. But, in general, here is my plan. Please give me input as to the pros and cons of the plan I don't have a wiring schematics of the bike and the Harley shops don't know much about the bike as of yet. I have a Gerbing plug wired to the battery for use with her Gerbing liner and the Battery Tender when the bike is parked in the garage. I would lie to tap into the Gerbing plug wiring to get power to the GPS, but that would leave the GPS plug hot all the time. Is it necessary for me to use the 12v plug on the GPS cord, or can i cut that off, and tap the GPS wire directly to the Gerbing plug that is connected to the battery. There is a square section on the GPS cord, closer to the plug that goes into the back of the GPS. What is the purpose of that? I have included a few pics to help make sense of my I am sure confusing question. The 3BR Powersports USB tapp looks great, but I still would not know where to tap into the bike for a switched source. I already have tapped into the headlight for a trigger source for the PIAA lights I added. I already have tapped into the tail light wire for the Hyper lights. I know, I am over my head. That is why I have come to all of you. Now if I can just get these pics to load. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you should install a small fusebox and run the gps off its own fuse. You won't need much, and it doesn't matter if it is hardwired or a plug in, but the heated clothing draws much more current than the GPS. I'm also not sure if the GPS (it almost certainly uses a USB mini plug at the GPS end) requires 3 volts or will operate on 12. There is a small battery inside it that is most certainly NOT a 12 v. batt - that might be a hint. Before you cut off the cigarette lighter plug on the GPS cord, you need to find out the voltage of USB devices.

Just googled USB and I found that the output voltage of a USB port it 4.25 to 5.25 volts. So, if you cut off that plug and hardwire your GPS directly to the bike's battery, you will fry the GPS.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
When your gps is plugged into the 3BR USB cord, does your gps indicate it is charging (lightening bolt in the battery level icon)?
You have to have the correct cord for the Nuvi (red band?) I think. I had a problem with it not charging at first but finally figured out that I have to pull the connection out just slightly to make it charge. Kinda weird because it turns on when I turn the key on but doesn't charge unless I pull it out slightly. I figured mine was the only one. Did you get one?

OP
OP
Craig Miller
I bought the red band cord with the usb plug. Installing tonight. Thanks for the advice on pulling the plug a little bit. That is the whole reason for getting this set up. To be able to charge while we ride. I will post a result when I am all done with the install.

OP
OP
Craig Miller
3BR Powersports USB plug in is installed on the wife's bike now. Wired directly to the battery. Looks and works very good. Hope the picture I uploaded works. Thanks for putting me on to the 3BR guys. Looks like good quality products.

Attachments

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Does it charge okay ( lightning bolt) or do you have to pull it out slightly like I do. I am happy with mine.

OP
OP
Craig Miller
Hers charged right away with the plug pushed all the way in. Very cool setup. Thanks again for telling me about the 3BR Powersports site. I called and emailed them a couple of times with questions. One of the guys even returned my email from a bike trip he was on. Now if I can only get my 7 year old GPS to stop working so I can get a new one

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Glad to hear it worked properly. Maybe the tooling or something was set wrong on the run mine came out of or they realized the problem and corrected it.

Just realized you put it on a Street 750. I test rode one during bike week. I think I liked it better than any Harley I have ever ridden, however it is a little small for me physically. Kept getting my foot all tangled up in the shifter/foot peg etc. Ran and rode good, more like a UJM.

I sympathize with you on your 7 year old GPS. I really want some new Uclears. But my old Scala Q2s that just won't quit.

Top Bottom