This old age just SUX

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Well, after having C5-C6 replaced in 2004 and surgery on the left Achilles in 2007 and surgery to repair the right scaphoid from my mororcycle accident in Oct 2013, I'm looking at another one. The right knee has been deteriorating over the period of time. Thought it was the accident but was some discomfort b/4 that so its just the aging. I had a ex ray last December and said there was arthritis in there. My doc suggested a MRI. I wanted to wait til I had my winter seasonal job, pumping propane, over b/4 I did it.

So had the MRI 4 weeks ago and finally got an appt yesterday. Saw Dr. Pepper, no April Fools, and he said it wasn't good. The fluid between the fibula and femur was gone so it was bone on bone on the inside of the knee, leaving me a little bow leged. He gave me two options-total knee replacement with 4-6 months total recovery-option two was get fitted for a knee brace to straighten the leg and get injections of Orthovisc. Injections would be 3 over 15 days and should last at least 6 months and if works out, more injections after that. If it doesn't work then the total replacement.

So I opted for the injections, which he called, Slick 50. Made me chuckle. So now to get fitted and on with the injections and see how it goes. He did give me a cortazone injection yesterday and have some comfort this am. I'll keep ya posted on the process.
Gary

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Gary I hope the shots work out. My former mixed doubles partner had a very similar problem and the shots have been working for her for over two years now! Wish you well!

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
All the best to you, Gary. I hope the injections are successful and get you out of pain and moving freely again!

Patty

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gary - Hope it works. The Synvisc I had (I called it chicken gel) did not work too well for me. But some folks get some good mileage out of it. Total knee replacement is no fun, but after about 8 weeks I was fairly functional. After having both replaced (one at a time), I'm up to walking 3 miles a day and exercise biking 10 miles a day. On my second one, I was back at work (desk job) in two weeks - but the pain meds helped a lot ... :D

http://www.unclephil.us/KneeReplacement.htm

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good luck Gary, hope it works out without surgery.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Good luck to you. I hope you can get by with the injections. I guess when they work, they work well.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
gmast100 said:
So I opted for the injections, which he called, Slick 50
Uncle Phil said:
The Synvisc I had (I called it chicken gel) did not work too well for me.
Is this turning into another oil thread?:D

Gary, Good luck with your treatments. I've got a friend who was up riding 3 months after having both knees replaced at the same time. If you have a replacement, make sure you schedule it over the winter. You've lost enough riding time.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Yeah, although I am still in very good health, this getting older does really suck!! Both my thumb joints have been hurting--not sure what that's all about, but will get it checked out by the doc on the 22nd. I never heard of anyone wearing thumb joints out. Ten to fifteen years ago, when I was seriously into high altitude mountaineering, I started having a lot of knee joint pain, mostly from the really heavy stress on them caused by descending with heavy backpacks on I think. My son advised me to take 800 milligrams worth of Ibuprofen, which I did and the pain went away. I discussed it with my doctor and he had one comment, take it before the pain starts. LOL I started riding a bicycle several miles a day and both knees totally cleared up and I rarely have a problem with them now. (knock-on-wood)

I hope the injections help you!!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need to get my computer glasses checked. At first I thought this thread was on "This Old Age just SEX"...:eek:4:

My brother has had both of his knees replaced! He just wonders why he waited so long to get them done!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Well, after having C5-C6 replaced in 2004 and surgery on the left Achilles in 2007 and surgery to repair the right scaphoid from my mororcycle accident in Oct 2013, I'm looking at another one. <SNIP> and get injections of Orthovisc. Injections would be 3 over 15 days and should last at least 6 months and if works out, more injections after that. If it doesn't work then the total replacement.
Hope it works for you Gary. No doubt you're getting sick of the motorcycle riding downtime!

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Gary, I had almost the same situation with my left knee. The shots worked for almost one year, after that a partial knee replacement was next. It took about three months of rehab and I was able to ride again, although I sold my ST1300 and bought a 650 vstrom because within a year it will be time to do the right knee. I knew I would need something lighter in order to keep riding. Uncle Phil has some great advise on his blog about knees. It does suck to get old, but better than the alternative. Hang in there and keep us poSTed.

Bruski

R.I.P. 2020/10/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300A
It sounds like the injections are a good choice for you Gary. You can always go to the replacement later if you need it. Good luck with the procedure.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I am getting the same injection in a few weeks. I hope it helps. I just made the call today myself. The replacement is getting closer and closer. Tired of the pain!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Hope the injections work for you.
If joints are bone on bone, probably just a matter of time before total joints may be required.
There are some patients/doctors that are doing both total knees at the same time. And many patients are walking, with assist, on their new knees the same day!
Good Luck!

Top Bottom