This old age just SUX

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Great news, Gary! Like a new tire, work that recovery gently so you get the full warranty mileage from the new knee!

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Great news Gary, but the pain really doesn't set in until your home and rehabing. Stick with it, you might think in the beginning it wasn't worth it, but believe me it is. BTDT.....

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Welcome to my world I am now 73 and I ride most every day. that beeing said,
I had knee problems since 1980 and I kept postponing having them replaced
until Aug. 1984 because the shots did little,
Well that right knee replacement lasted until Feb. 2012 at that time I had both knees
replaced and my life changed bigtime.
I can crawl around on the floor, actully run and walk for hours without pain.
Go find a good ortho doctor and get them done... I wish I had not waited so long.
Ride Safe
Dave
motorcycledave.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmast1100

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Got discharged yesterday and right back in as of last night. Fever and infection! Not having a very good time. Maybe it'll end soon?

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that Gary! But yes, it'll end soon. They'll get the infection zapped and you'll be good to go.
Hang in there and patience, my friend.

Patty

OP
OP
gmast1100

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Well, after 5 more days back in the hospital because of the infection, I finally got home yesterday. I have a PICC in my arm that is used for the antibiotic infusions. It is a line that they put in your arm and goes into the main blood vessels that goes directly to your heart. I have to have these infusions twice daily for ten days. Better than spending another ten days in there.

I was a little confused about this infection. I thought it was because something during surgery wasn't sterilized. But not the case. The infection was in my body and when they did the surgery, the infection went directly to the incisions and settled in there. One of my nurses said that there is a lot of diseases and infection are present in your body and when you have an incision it heads there. Same as I'd you had a cut on your body. Infection would go there too. That's why you get a tetnous shot.

Also will start a rigorous physical therapy starting today. Have a bunch of excises to do two or three times daily and have a machine that you strap your leg to it and it automatically bends your knee up and down. I used this in the surgical unit and it is pure torture.

So now that I'm out of the hospital, for good I hope, I look forward to getting this therapy over with so I can get back to a normal life, if that's possible!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Good to hear you're home Gary.
PICC lines are great, I love sending people home with them instead of seeing the person 'camp' in a hospital bed and get more and more 'testy'.. ;)
Keep that dressing DRY, really.

Good luck with the PT too...

Mark

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
I hope so too!
With Chris's 1st knee replacement she got immediate relief.
With her third last December she didn't use any pain meds... You can bet that screwed with the Nurse's and Doctor's heads! :D
It don't surprise me, Chris is one tough chick...Especially after how long she went with bone on bone before the first one. Do they have warranty repair when she wears out the artificial ones?

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Well, after 5 more days back in the hospital because of the infection, I finally got home yesterday. I have a PICC in my arm that is used for the antibiotic infusions. It is a line that they put in your arm and goes into the main blood vessels that goes directly to your heart. I have to have these infusions twice daily for ten days. Better than spending another ten days in there.

I was a little confused about this infection. I thought it was because something during surgery wasn't sterilized. But not the case. The infection was in my body and when they did the surgery, the infection went directly to the incisions and settled in there. One of my nurses said that there is a lot of diseases and infection are present in your body and when you have an incision it heads there. Same as I'd you had a cut on your body. Infection would go there too. That's why you get a tetnous shot.

Also will start a rigorous physical therapy starting today. Have a bunch of excises to do two or three times daily and have a machine that you strap your leg to it and it automatically bends your knee up and down. I used this in the surgical unit and it is pure torture.

So now that I'm out of the hospital, for good I hope, I look forward to getting this therapy over with so I can get back to a normal life, if that's possible!
Gary, glad to hear you are home again....As Mark said, keep the PICC site really clean and dry, that cath goes all the way back to the central circulation and you don't want to have any sepsis complications with it! Did they warn you to stock up on wet wipes and soft toilet paper with the IV antibiotics ? Just sayin....DAHIK

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Sorry to hear of the complications Gary. I hope the rehab goes well.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Welcome home. Best advise is to keep the knee moving, I'm sure you know how stiff it becomes when your trying to relax. I was sent home with a cane, I got really good at reaching for things with a cane.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Welcome home Gary. Hope things progress well for you.

Top Bottom