Ride with plastic off ??

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
You can use most any commercial black or gray RTV Silcone Gasket Sealer from parts stores (although the Hondabond used at the factory was clear). Use it sparingly as the rubber gasket provides the seal...the common oil weeping places are at the gasket half-moons on the front end of the head, so that's where you want to add a bit, sparingly.

One caution is to be doubly sure that the rubber dam under the throttle bodies isn't pinched in with the cover gasket... it will leak a lot of oil if it is caught in that joint (and it is hard to see that problem).

The other important caution is to make sure that each of the valve cover bolts thread in straight (turn by finger), and do NOT overtighten as they break off easily. Use a torque wrench set to proper setting once you're sure the bolts are properly threaded. Many folks have broken the bolt off by crossthreading, missing the threads entirely, or by overtightening, and then they have potentially ruined threads in the head or have weeks to wait for a replacement cover bolt.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Long cold winter here in Ontario. Bike sat all winter. Looked at bike and small green puddle on floor.
Never notice this before. I haven't even started it yet. Reserve tank still above low mark level.
Reading forum I'm going to drain, remove rad, tighten clamps, replace antifreeze.
If it is not your hoses leaking, it could be your water pump mechanical seal. I had the same problem. Mine was a steady few drips a day over the winter months. When I pulled the Tupperware off, it was obvious that the leak was from the small hole in the front engine cover, right behind where the water pump is located. It had been leaking for a while and I could see where it had been blowing back while riding. None of my hoses had been leaking.

To answer your question, yes, it is OK to ride with the Tupperware off. I rode several times after replacing the water pump. No leaks. Riding with the Tupperware off when temps are really HOT could be a problem!!!!

Good luck discerning where your leak is.

OP
OP
You can use most any commercial black or gray RTV Silcone Gasket Sealer from parts stores (although the Hondabond used at the factory was clear). Use it sparingly as the rubber gasket provides the seal...the common oil weeping places are at the gasket half-moons on the front end of the head, so that's where you want to add a bit, sparingly.

One caution is to be doubly sure that the rubber dam under the throttle bodies isn't pinched in with the cover gasket... it will leak a lot of oil if it is caught in that joint (and it is hard to see that problem).

The other important caution is to make sure that each of the valve cover bolts thread in straight (turn by finger), and do NOT overtighten as they break off easily. Use a torque wrench set to proper setting once you're sure the bolts are properly threaded. Many folks have broken the bolt off by crossthreading, missing the threads entirely, or by overtightening, and then they have potentially ruined threads in the head or have weeks to wait for a replacement cover bolt.
OK Thanks for the heads up on sealer and the bolts.
My book says there are 8 cylinder head cover bolts and to torque to 7 ft lbs

I think I only have 6 bolts - am I reading the correct torque??

OP
OP
If it is not your hoses leaking, it could be your water pump mechanical seal. I had the same problem. Mine was a steady few drips a day over the winter months. When I pulled the Tupperware off, it was obvious that the leak was from the small hole in the front engine cover, right behind where the water pump is located. It had been leaking for a while and I could see where it had been blowing back while riding. None of my hoses had been leaking.

To answer your question, yes, it is OK to ride with the Tupperware off. I rode several times after replacing the water pump. No leaks. Riding with the Tupperware off when temps are really HOT could be a problem!!!!

Good luck discerning where your leak is.
Thanks for the reply.
The small hole was OK but there was some green in the rectangle hole below that.
From reviewing other threads I think if its in the rectangle hole the leaks are probably in the top V.

Hope I have it corrected.

Top Bottom