ST1100 and splitting lanes

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I filter/split daily for anywhere between 3 and 15 miles each way, most of it around Amsterdam and the ST1100 handles just fine.
Took some getting used to the width after coming from a CBR600F1.
In Amsterdam, anything bigger than a bicycle requires splitting! Even the buildings are so close that you have to tuck in your elbows!

Back in 1978 I drove a full sized American Plymouth Station wagon through the streets of Amsterdam, my mirrors almost touched the sides of two buildings more than once! :eek:4:

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
I commute on my 99 St1100, about 55 miles six days a week, i ride on the motorway, which is usually a car park!!, and then in city traffic, i find the ST an excellent tool for this purpose, it can filter with the best of them and is very nimble when on the move, dont have a problem with the panniers OR the mirrors, i find that they are just below most cars mirrors in the uk.
Ive had the bike just over 6months now and i bloody love riding it, having covered over 6k (miles).

On my way through traffic today i showed up a couple of wannabe racers how to do it by having to sound the horn to get them to shift over and let the Pan through!!, but its sunny today so i guess all the fair weather boys were out..................didnt see you over the winter lads!!! LOL.

Maximo

Grand Waffle Maker
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
I had my ST11 for 10+ years and practiced lane sharing daily, and never touched another vehicle. For a bigger bike, it's extremely easy to control. I have since moved on to a K1200GT, and whenever I'm lane sharing, I often think fondly about how much easier it was to do so on the ST. The K bike is much wider than the ST, especially out back, where I have to take in two dimensions into consideration. The ST was easy, if the front end fits, the back also.

As a tip, if you come up to two cars whose mirrors are too close for your comfort, just time it so that they are offset, and a simply "throw" the handlebars away from the first set of mirror and then "throw them back the other way before your bike changes too much direction. It's almost like slalom of the top side of the bike, not the bottom. But honestly, there's usually enough room to get through.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

As a tip, if you come up to two cars whose mirrors are too close for your comfort, just time it so that they are offset, and a simply "throw" the handlebars away from the first set of mirror and then "throw them back the other way before your bike changes too much direction. It's almost like slalom of the top side of the bike, not the bottom. But honestly, there's usually enough room to get through.
I think that is a technic you develop over time. Sometimes after I went through a tight spot, I wonder how I made it without touching either! :)

Sometimes I wished I had a camera that would take it all in... and then again, maybe not, it might scare the cr## out of myself! :eek:4:

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1994
Update! Got a 1994 1100 with 33k miles on it. Very stock bike. And rode it in to work today. Long Beach to Glendale. It was perfect. I have been doing that commute for five years on my shadow 750. I liked it better than the 750. Which btw I sold for the same price I paid for it. Thanks for all the imput. I will post video later if my camera had a good angle.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Never did like riding on I5. I15 into San Diego every morning is bad enough! Good Luck!

Top Bottom