R1200 Engine Assembly

Byron

STOC #
Nice but I wish there had been a little narrative or sub titles shown to explain a little more about the process.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I've been in libraries that were louder. Ear plugs not required.
Mike

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Whaaaat, tranny bearing pressed in by the inner race!! (at 2:27) Back in my day pressing by the outer race was the only way it should be done. They're putting low in the bearing races and flat spots on the bearings the way they press them into the cases. FAIL! Would not buy.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I guess we now know why the Consumer Reports ratings are what they are....

I rode BMW's ( Airheads) for over 65,000 trouble free miles, but the newer units don't seem to have the same philosophy built in- BMW seems to want to cater to the "more is better" crowd, rather than carving their own niche as they once did. I see it as the end of an era.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
........I rode BMW's ( Airheads) for over 65,000 trouble free miles, but the newer units don't seem to have the same philosophy built in- BMW seems to want to cater to the "more is better" crowd, rather than carving their own niche as they once did. I see it as the end of an era.
You've got to be kidding me: an airhead????? Now I understand the guys that used to yell out of their old pickups "get a horse"! :rofl1:

I can honestly say my 2015 Wethead is the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden; but I've always been a member of the "more is better" crowd. Although I never had ANY trouble with it, I kept my 75 "airhead" Guzzi for 30 years just to remind me how bad the old motorcycles really were :D.

Bike
2006 ST1300
You've got to be kidding me: an airhead????? Now I understand the guys that used to yell out of their old pickups "get a horse"! :rofl1:

I can honestly say my 2015 Wethead is the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden; but I've always been a member of the "more is better" crowd. Although I never had ANY trouble with it, I kept my 75 "airhead" Guzzi for 30 years just to remind me how bad the old motorcycles really were :D.
Nope...not kidding...an Airhead...NOT a Guzzi, a REAL Airhead, the original - BMW. Airheads, in their time, were THE most dependable motorcycles made. Were they cool looking? Nope. Did they go fast? Well, they were not the fastest, but they had one thing most other bikes did not...dependability. They regularly won the Paris-Dakar race, and they were dead simple to work on, unlike the more modern BMW's. I know of at least 5 that had over 300,000 miles on them with minor repairs. I know...anecdotal at best.

However, the reliability and durability of BMW has suffered in recent years. I have 3 friends who own late model BMW's ( 2010-2014), and though they defend them vigorously, ( who wouldn't, after spending THAT kinda money on one????) they do admit that the quality is just not there anymore. Yes, they have all the cool farkles built in, but they don't do much good on a bike which sits in the shop that often! Witness the Consumer Reports ratings....BMW is now rated LOWER than Harley.

I'll keep my Honda....thanks.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
I've also owned a BMW airlhead that was replaced with a really reliable K75. Wish I still had the K75, not the airhead. My 04 oilhead has never been back to a dealer.

We remember old bikes and cars like our girl friends, everything was better when you were young. At every rally there ALWAYS was two or three airheads with a group around them diagnosing and repairing (not just comparing farkles). Weak electrics, points, plugs, carbs, broken control cables,.. etc. Even the most dependable would require more repair and constant tinkering than any of today's bikes. The disappearing tool kits says more about modern machines reliability than our rose colored but faulty memories ....

Jumping on a bike and riding coast to coast was a real adventure, with spare parts and roadside repairs. Today I roll a bike out of the garage and do it a couple times a year, even on my DUCATI or TRIUMPH, without even thinking about it.

But, yes those were the good old days, I do agree, today we seem to complain more ...... :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
......I'll keep my Honda....thanks.
I really have a hard time understanding the off topic, passive aggressive, posts that always show up whenever BMW is mentioned. No one anywhere in this thread asked, or even hinted that anyone should give up their Honda. :(

Cletus, I understand ...... :rofl1:

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Whaaaat, tranny bearing pressed in by the inner race!! (at 2:27) Back in my day pressing by the outer race was the only way it should be done. They're putting low in the bearing races and flat spots on the bearings the way they press them into the cases. FAIL! Would not buy.
Raymond, I had to watch it frame by frame to see what you were referring to--agreed, pressing a bearing in by putting sideload through the balls is not preferred. But it doesn't appear to me that there is any other way to put on the outer case to avoid putting side loads through the races.

If the bearings were first installed into the outer case the shaft, they would still have to press the shaft into the inner race, later (which similarly, puts side loads through the races), or somehow use a bearing heater on the inner race. The engineers likely have well managed the amounts of interference to both the inner race and outer race seats to make cold pressing the outer race last a non-issue. Further, the lightweight Al-alloy side case is highly ductile relative to the steel outer race. But the steel shaft and steel inner race have to be more precisely fitted to avoid damage, so pressing the bearing on the shaft (inner race first) is likely more important.
:shrug1:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
All depends on what the dimensions/tolerances of the case are relative to the outer races. If the installation loads are too low to distort the cage, no problem. Otherwise...... Until VW's emission system came along, I have always trusted German engineering and manufacturing.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Raymond, I had to watch it frame by frame to see what you were referring to--agreed, pressing a bearing in by putting sideload through the balls is not preferred. But it doesn't appear to me that there is any other way to put on the outer case to avoid putting side loads through the races.

If the bearings were first installed into the outer case the shaft, they would still have to press the shaft into the inner race, later (which similarly, puts side loads through the races), or somehow use a bearing heater on the inner race. The engineers likely have well managed the amounts of interference to both the inner race and outer race seats to make cold pressing the outer race last a non-issue. Further, the lightweight Al-alloy side case is highly ductile relative to the steel outer race. But the steel shaft and steel inner race have to be more precisely fitted to avoid damage, so pressing the bearing on the shaft (inner race first) is likely more important.
:shrug1:
Yeah it was kind of a joke just to make Padden happy. Peace out Tom!

Top Bottom