Have I told you how much I love Riding Colorado?

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Closing out the month of June with another beautiful Colorado Morning. I headed for the hills around 0800 this morning. Temps were between 66 and 75 during my ride across town and into the Foothills of the Front Range. Explored some back residential roads and byways up around Lookout Mountain, went by Buffalo Bill's Grave, rode over around Genesee, Kittredge, Indian Hills and then 285 back across town. Clocked 117 miles on the Big Versys. Going to stay off the bike this coming weekend (4th of July) too many people going to be on the road. Not good for my patience. Too all my friends, have a safe and happy 4th of July celebration.

Overlooking Golden going up Lookout Mountain

SAM_6055.JPG

Looking West from the Lookout Mountain overlook

SAM_6057.JPG

The Road up Lookout Mountain.

SAM_6058.JPG

Westward View from Buffalo Bills Grave.

SAM_6059.JPG

Riding around in the Genesse residential area.
SAM_6060.JPG

Bikes and Barns

SAM_6061.JPG

View westward from Genesse Park

SAM_6064.JPG

Last edited:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Closing out the month of June with another beautiful Colorado Morning. I headed for the hills around 0800 this morning. Temps were between 66 and 75 during my ride across town and into the Foothills of the Front Range. Explored some back residential roads and byways up around Lookout Mountain, went by Buffalo Bill's Grave, rode over around Genesee, Kittredge, Indian Hills and then 285 back across town. Clocked 117 miles on the Big Versys. Going to stay off the bike this coming weekend (4th of July) too many people going to be on the road. Not good for my patience. Too all my friends, have a safe and happy 4th of July celebration.

Overlooking Golden going up Lookout Mountain

SAM_6055.JPG

Looking West from the Lookout Mountain overlook

SAM_6057.JPG

The Road up Lookout Mountain.

SAM_6058.JPG

Westered View from Buffalo Bills Grave.

SAM_6059.JPG

Riding around in the Genesse residential area.
SAM_6060.JPG

Bikes and Barns

SAM_6061.JPG

View westward from Genesse Park

SAM_6064.JPG
Thanks for the shots! Will be there soon!

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Attachments

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The weather guessers were guessing it was going to be 100+ in the City today. Time to head for the High country for some relief. Rode the FJR up to Echo Lake Via Evergreen. Highway 103, Squaw Pass Rd. Echo Lake is at the Base of Mt. Evans. The lake sits at 10000 ft. Elevation. The Echo lake Lodge is next to the Entry Booth and State Road 5, up to the Summit of Mt Evans (14264 ft) About 20 vehicles were lined up to make that drive. Too many tourist. Anyway, the air temp at Echo Lake was a cool wonderful 72 degrees. Coming back across the City the air temp was 104. Here are a few pictures I took riding up and back this morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/4A1sr8TRhMVPSe1B9

Attachments

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The Big Versys and I did a early morning ride to start the week and try and beat the heat. Left the house at about 0800 this morning with the temps at 66 degrees. Got back around 1200 PM, temps were 80 degrees. 147 miles with a coffee stop at Larkspur. Stopped at a little Mexican Eatery. Good coffee and good service. Sat on their patio for about a half hour savoring the good coffee. (inexpensive also). Bike ran great and I got a few pictures in also. Took my time enjoying the early morning, clear roads and green fields. This summer has seen a bit more rain than normal and every thing is still green.
https://goo.gl/maps/6RTzuakuiJvQasBQ6

Attachments

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Today was going to be the coolest day of the week (91) so I decided to head for the High Country and catch some of that cool air. Took off about 08:00 and fought the traffic on my way across Denver to the Foothills. Once there I turn the FJR towards Evergreen Via 285 and then High Rd to Evergreen Parkway. Which took me to the turn off to Squaw Pass Rd. Then up to Echo Lake and the entry to Mt. Evans Rd. I really enjoy the ride to Echo Lake. Most of the time it has little to no traffic early in the morning and some great FJR curves. A couple that will leave a crease in your motorcycle seat if you are not paying attention. On up to Echo Lake and I noticed that there was no line of cars at the Mt Evans Pass Shack. A reservation is required to drive up to the top of Mt Evans now. I, of course did not have one, but I thought I would try to get thru any way. Rode up to the gate and tried to sweet talk the young lady checking Passes and Reservations. Showed her my Old People's Golden Pass and told her I was just going to ride up and then down. She said OK as long as I did not stop at the top. (What ever ?) Got the go wave and up the mountain I rode. Took a few pictures on the way up and down, So take a look and ride with me via the pictures. Got home before the temps in the city reached 90. As a side note: I try to get up top of Mt Evans at least once every year. It has been two years since I was able to ride up as Mt Evans was closed all last year. Every one knows that the camera does not show depth and steepness very well?
https://goo.gl/maps/ZXJ97JCbmWJpcSKj7

Attachments

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Today was going to be the coolest day of the week (91) so I decided to head for the High Country and catch some of that cool air. Took off about 08:00 and fought the traffic on my way across Denver to the Foothills. Once there I turn the FJR towards Evergreen Via 285 and then High Rd to Evergreen Parkway. Which took me to the turn off to Squaw Pass Rd. Then up to Echo Lake and the entry to Mt. Evans Rd. I really enjoy the ride to Echo Lake. Most of the time it has little to no traffic early in the morning and some great FJR curves. A couple that will leave a crease in your motorcycle seat if you are not paying attention. On up to Echo Lake and I noticed that there was no line of cars at the Mt Evans Pass Shack. A reservation is required to drive up to the top of Mt Evans now. I, of course did not have one, but I thought I would try to get thru any way. Rode up to the gate and tried to sweet talk the young lady checking Passes and Reservations. Showed her my Old People's Golden Pass and told her I was just going to ride up and then down. She said OK as long as I did not stop at the top. (What ever ?) Got the go wave and up the mountain I rode. Took a few pictures on the way up and down, So take a look and ride with me via the pictures. Got home before the temps in the city reached 90. As a side note: I try to get up top of Mt Evans at least once every year. It has been two years since I was able to ride up as Mt Evans was closed all last year. Every one knows that the camera does not show depth and steepness very well?
https://goo.gl/maps/ZXJ97JCbmWJpcSKj7
It looks like you had the mountain all to yourself! Damned near forgot what a mountain is living in south-central Texas. :confused:

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
So Chuck, since you rode Alps too, how would you compare to riding in CO mountains? I never rode CO, but many times in Alps and IMO it's a riding Mecca for bikers. I though that although CO or CA mountains also high and beautiful, but don't have these many mountain passes and roads.
You are correct in your thought process. Alps are older with many more small roads and passes. The Rockies are higher but with fewer roads. My favorite place to ride in the US is the Colorado Rockies and my favorite place to ride in Europe is the Austrian / Swiss Alps. I am fortunate to have the Colorado Rockies in my back yard and am very fortunate to have grown up in, and been able to ride the Euro Alps. Looking forward to going back again next year.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Last week I rode my Little Versys X300 down along the South Plate River to do some viewing of the foliage color changes. Today I decided to check out the colors in the High Country. My Big Versys 1000 SE was my bike of choice for this ride. Also the Big Versys has been resting in it designated spot in the garage for over a month now. Time to do a pre-ride check and fill her up with gas. That done I headed out across town to the foothills. rode up HY 285 and turned off at Parmalee Gulch road. Stopped at the Indian Hills Community Center to take a picture of their road side bulletin board. They always seem to have a posted great message. On over to Kerr Gulch Rd. and across I-70 to ride the parallel access roads to George Town. Here is the starting point for the assent over Guanella Pass. (11,670 ft ) The top of the pass is the trail head jumping off points for hiking / climbing Mt. Bierstadt. ( 14065 ft ) Once a hiker ascends Mt. Bierstadt they can cross the Saw Tooth and climb Mt Evens.(14265 ft ), I will leave the mountain hiking / climbing to my son and the younger generations, and stick to riding the passes on my motorcycle. A bit less strenuous. From the summit of Guanella Pass I rode down the south side, which exits out to HY285. From there I headed down the mountain into the foothills and across Denver to home.
https://goo.gl/maps/DMpHnFsLYW393UE26

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Awfully pretty, out there.
But soon you'll have snow -- and others of us will still be riding...
The winter here won't look as nice as yours.
But we'll still be riding...

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Awfully pretty, out there.
But soon you'll have snow -- and others of us will still be riding...
The winter here won't look as nice as yours.
But we'll still be riding...
Yes for the most part. But we can ride between the snow storms most of the winter. Heated gear works wonders.

SAM_4094.JPGSAM_4096 (2).JPGSAM_4100 (2).JPG

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
The Big Versys and I did a early morning ride to start the week and try and beat the heat. Left the house at about 0800 this morning with the temps at 66 degrees. Got back around 1200 PM, temps were 80 degrees. 147 miles with a coffee stop at Larkspur. Stopped at a little Mexican Eatery. Good coffee and good service. Sat on their patio for about a half hour savoring the good coffee. (inexpensive also). Bike ran great and I got a few pictures in also. Took my time enjoying the early morning, clear roads and green fields. This summer has seen a bit more rain than normal and every thing is still green.
https://goo.gl/maps/6RTzuakuiJvQasBQ6
Did you take those pictures in Lubbock?

Top Bottom