Remove motor or not

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Alex Schmitt ("sportourer"), STOC 4028, started the 2013 IBR with 342K statute miles on his '98 ST1100. He's put many more on since then. Only member with the 350K mileage award.
Edit: on 18 August last year Alex passed 375,000 miles!

I see a couple of folks posted while I was thumbing my last post. :)

John
via iPhone 4S
John, Thanks for that info. I asked Alex just after he pulled in to Cranberry at the end of the 2013 IBR how many miles was on his bike. I thought he said 225K. Maybe I mis-understood him , or maybe after 11 days & +10K miles he mumbled the wrong number ........ I can certainly understand that !!

BTW, I plan on taking the cage ( with the Boss & dog ) to Kingsport, TN to watch the bikes roll-in to the check point. It's a fun event to see all the bikes & riders roll in.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Alex Schmitt ("sportourer"), STOC 4028, started the 2013 IBR with 342K statute miles on his '98 ST1100. He's put many more on since then. Only member with the 350K mileage award.
Edit: on 18 August last year Alex passed 375,000 miles!

I see a couple of folks posted while I was thumbing my last post. :)

John
via iPhone 4S
John:

I wonder if Alex was at Moonshine yesterday ?? I had friend ( ST1300 Owner, all my friends are ST Riders, BTW ) who was there that took this pic and emailed it to me : Copy of Plus 350K Miles.jpg

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Jim, it wouldn't surprise me if Alex was there, but I've not met him and there were a LOT of bikes and people at the Moonshine Store yesterday!

John
via iPhone 4S

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
After arriving in Casey and scarfing our sweet rolls, Bill and I got to the store sometime after 9 but folks said you'd just left. Dang, woulda liked a UP hug. :(
I looked for you at supper Friday but I never saw you. I ended sitting at I64/hway 1 for about 6 hours waiting on a 'rescue' trailer to haul mine home. Brand new BStone GT30 front tire appears to have delaminated. It was a bit of a pucker in the process (complete deflation)! :D

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
We left home Fri afternoon after Bill got off work. Motel in Decatur. Glad the tire failure wasn't much worse.
You lucky Dogs !!! I want/need to make the Pilgrimage someday. How long was the wait for the Moonburgers ??

Phil : Holy Sh*t !! Bummer !! How often does that happen ?? What do you think the cause was ?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
At 10am the wait was about 3 minutes. At noon when we left the line was over 100 folks long and growing. But moving... they are VERY organized and the burger frying and assembly line was keeping up. It helped that the pay station was separate and you could pay before during or after. Damn, they use great beef! YUMM

I know we're quite off topic now, but the OP has had his query answered quite well.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Kingrich, after you have your radiator removed, you might consider removing your "sub frame" (which is the detachable, left, front, lower portion of your frame). You may have to loosen your left exhaust pipe to do that, but the exhaust pipes do not have to be removed at all, in my opinion. You may have to rotate your sub frame counterclockwise to pull it free.

I agree with the others that none of the items you listed will be facilitated by engine removal.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I may be having alternator issues or something with my ST 1300. When the bike is at idle there is a whirling soundand I have had issues with the battery being low. The bike wont start, but when you turn th key off the lights stay on and the only way to get tem off is ti disconnect the battery.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I may be having alternator issues or something with my ST 1300. When the bike is at idle there is a whirling soundand I have had issues with the battery being low. The bike wont start, but when you turn th key off the lights stay on and the only way to get tem off is ti disconnect the battery.
Might be a good idea to post in the 1300 forum, under a new thread.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dave, why would anyone remove the subframe to do a timing belt R&R? Just curious...
I too fail to see the benefit... but its already the 3rd time he mentions that... so, what's the secret?
The only time I ever removed that sub-frame was for lifting the frame off the engine... (yep, went a lot easier that way :D)

Might be a good idea to post in the 1300 forum, under a new thread.
Nah, you shouldn't have... ;-)

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
I thoroughly cleaned the stator today at work then drove home. I only live like 10 miles from work so it wasn't far enough for it to leak yet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
Kingrich, after you have your radiator removed, you might consider removing your "sub frame" (which is the detachable, left, front, lower portion of your frame). You may have to loosen your left exhaust pipe to do that, but the exhaust pipes do not have to be removed at all, in my opinion. You may have to rotate your sub frame counterclockwise to pull it free.

I agree with the others that none of the items you listed will be facilitated by engine removal.
I must agree with dave. I had already pulled my exhaust because I had to remove the oil pan. The oil pan looked like it was leaking and I did not feel comfortable with the lewis pin.

Anyways with that frame section removed (took all of 3 minutes) there is gobs of room to do the timing belt. I didn't even need to trim anything off of the lower timing cover.

I wrote on the timing cover with a paint marker stating the date and mileage I did the timing belt for future reference.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I would suggest that you post your bike for sale here. The folks are open to ST's with higher mileage
& be ready to support a fly & drive.
Now that the belt is in you might give the bike another shot. The Corbin
seat cuts down on the pillion's room by a bunch. See if someone in your area will let you use a different seat
for a quick ride, two up to see if that help.
Good luck.

Top Bottom