Possible Solution to End All Coolant Leaks

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
We've all heard of the fixes....snug the factory Honda clamps, replace with stainless steel hose clamps, breeze clamps, constant tension clamps, gates bands, etc.
Well I think I may have found THE fix, for the (4) clamps on the water pipe hoses that leak.
Item #29, part number 90661-SLO-A01, description "Clip Heater Hose 30mm, on the 2007 fuel tank parts diagram.
After searching for a spring type clamp on every single hose on my Element, CRV, and several other SUV's etc. I found the one that MAY work on our very own bikes part diagram.
I was replacing a fuel tank on a police bike a few weeks ago and discovered that the Elbow Hose that connects the fuel tanks on a 2007 ST1300A is small dia. on the lower fitting, and larger on the top fitting.
The upper end of the hose is THE SAME ID and OD as the water pipe hoses.
The clamps come from the factory with a retaining clip holding them open until installation, simply slide them into place and pull the clip off.
For those who may want the correct tool to remove and replace them, you can purchase a spring band pliers tool with a flexible cable. It will reach into the smallest tightest place and grab, open, and lock the clamp into place, so you can simply slide it in or out, you then pull the release lever and it allows the spring clamp to snap closed into place.
A set of these pliers will cost about $40 bucks at a local parts place or online.
You won't need them to install new clamps, only to remove them if you ever need to.
The clamps themselves are $12.23 ea. on RonAyers.com but hey, if they keep you from messing with leaks for the life of the hose, I'd say that's a fair trade off.
I have NOT yet installed a set of these yet, but all the measurements appear to fit on all the parts.
If you try these, you do so at your own risk, blah, blah, blah, for those liability concerns.
Comments or suggestions welcome.
Igofar

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well now you have opened a Pandora's box here!! Well to make good on this claim you MUST get these hoses and clamps and change them out on some poor unsuspecting ST owner and take pictures and post them here!! :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I fixed all the coolant leaks completely on this Honda. It was easy and I did not change a single clamp.

It's air cooled!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I've sure got it now, after 113K on mine, I keep having to "top her off" and smell it (coolant) a lot... no big puddles or anything... yet

gonna have to tear into it sometime soon...:(

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, so far the Gates Thermal clamps have worked like a charm on my commuter bike. But of course it is out of commission right now with a leaking waterpump!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well, so far the Gates Thermal clamps have worked like a charm on my commuter bike. But of course it is out of commission right now with a leaking waterpump!
The service manual for the GV1400 Suzuki (Cavalcade) that I owned several years ago specified adding Bars Leak to the radiator when doing the scheduled coolant flush & refill. Just curious if anyone has tried that on the ST. I wouldn't expect that to do anything for leaks at hose clamps, but might help minimize or at least reduce water pump leaks.

STOC #
Well there you went and done it! You solved the leaks and increased the system pressure and caused the waterpump leak. :D

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
A set of these pliers will cost about $40 bucks at a local parts place or online.
You won't need them to install new clamps, only to remove them if you ever need to.
The clamps themselves are $12.23 ea. on RonAyers.com but hey, if they keep you from messing with leaks for the life of the hose, I'd say that's a fair trade off.
I'm not seeing the value prop here. The fuel tank clamps cost more than twice as much as the next-most-expensive solution, have to be ordered by a Honda dealer because they're unlikely to be in stock and need a special tool to remove and reinstall.

CT clamps with Belleville springs cost about $5.50 each, are available on demand from several retailers and at your door in a couple of days and need a socket wrench to remove and reinstall. (To be fair, they do have to be torqued properly, but you could probably get away with doing it by feel as a stogap.) Mine have been on since 2008 and continue to be leak-free.

--Mark

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Here's a suggestion - for everybody! Put some paragraph breaks into your long posts so we old geezers can read it more easily! ;)

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I agree with everything you said, in fact I have the same clamps you do and have been leak free for over 50k since I put them on, however there are some owners who don't want to go in and service (tighten) or install any type of hoseclamp etc. This fix seems to be the fastest install (after you get the clamps) and they are a heck of alot smaller and won't ever loosen, as I have seen some issues with CT clamps wearing holes in hoses, and have seen two or three breeze clamp failures because folks installed them on old hoses and the wider sharp edge dug into the swollen shoulder next to the old style clamp and burst the hose.
The spring tension clamps are alot smaller and there is no follow up tightening needed.
I was just putting another option out there for folks.
I will only install new clamps on new hoses.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
If you are talking about a spring type hose clamp (see picture) I have been using these for years and most oem manufacturers use them as they keep hoses from leaking in extreme temperature shifts. I bought the tool (see picture) with the long cable for installing them. Over the years I have found these clamps to be easier to deal with than regular hose clamps as (if you have the tool) as you simply open them with the tool and lock the tool open slip them on an snap let it go in the correct location. The tool is vey flexible and can be used in very tight locations. hey work great. Just make sure you get the tool for installing and removing them as using pliers etc. may seem like a good choice for installing them but after you use this tool for installing them you will be amazed at how easy they are to work with.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
If you are talking about a spring type hose clamp (see picture) I have been using these for years and most oem manufacturers use them as they keep hoses from leaking in extreme temperature shifts. I bought the tool (see picture) with the long cable for installing them. Over the years I have found these clamps to be easier to deal with than regular hose clamps as (if you have the tool) as you simply open them with the tool and lock the tool open slip them on an snap let it go in the correct location. The tool is vey flexible and can be used in very tight locations. hey work great. Just make sure you get the tool for installing and removing them as using pliers etc. may seem like a good choice for installing them but after you use this tool for installing them you will be amazed at how easy they are to work with.
Dan, do you have a link to the tool??

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Just make sure you get the tool for installing and removing them as using pliers etc. may seem like a good choice for installing them but after you use this tool for installing them you will be amazed at how easy they are to work with.
All these years I've been using needle nose pliers and needle nose vise-grips, this tool looks like its almost too easy. I bet I wouldn't even skin a knuckle, what fun is that?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Last year I had a slight smell all year but no drop in the level. Over the winter I had the bike apart and tightened all the clamps I could get to. Now riding this spring, I still have a slight smell.:mad:

Now I 'm wondering if it's the t-stat o-ring.

If it stays the same I'll do it next winter.:roll:

Top Bottom