Tyre installed wrong way round - queries.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I had a Honda dealer install one of my front tires the wrong direction, called them and road back and they changed the tire to the right direction with no problems noted. I now mount my own tires.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I mounted a front the wrong way and did 1200 miles on it .

Remounted when i got home about 8 k miles ago and haven't had any problems .

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300 09 XR650L
STOC #
It was actually recommended to me a while back by a race tire vendor to swap direction on tires to reduce cupping and extend life. Only effect that I know of is reduced wet weather traction.

Ashley

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
you are surely gonna crash and burn. :mw1::run1: I wouldn't worry to much, I would find the shop that mounted it the wrong way and have them correct the problem when you get the time. The tire will be fine.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Folks run car tires and mc rears on the front mounted the wrong direction. In theory the scarf and maybe belts have an orientation but I wouldn't sweat it.
.02 I'd have them flip it and ride it and never give it a second thought.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
On automobile radial tires, tire rotation is always performed by swapping front/rear on the same side of the vehicle, rather than swapping sides like in the old bias tire days. My understanding of the reason behind that procedure is the radial belts will 'set' based on the direction of rotation, and swapping them to the other side where they will rotate in the opposite direction to their initial 'set' is not recommended. Not sure of the practical significance of this, but its probably a valid excuse to have a brand new tire installed in the correct orientation rather than swap the current tire around.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I doubt that it would hurt anything as I have 'reinstalled' takeoffs before so you can get them off and reuse them. But I would make the shop install a brand new because of the error - it might make them think the next time since the tires have rotational arrows on them in plain sight (I do my own tire changes).

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
On automobile radial tires, tire rotation is always performed by swapping front/rear on the same side of the vehicle, rather than swapping sides like in the old bias tire days
Only if you are running DIRECTIONAL tires, those marked like most motorcycle tires with the direction arrow.

See this for non directional tires like most radials. It also shows the directional pattern.

Looks like Ashley is quicker than I.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
No problem at all running them backwards ,we did this on occasion with our race tires to help keep them cooler during a long endurance race and it seemed to work .

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I vote for making the installer remount it with you watching. A tire can be damaged during installation/removal especially by an untrained person (say, like someone who would install a tire backwards with clear indications of the correct orientation). When the tire is off, I'd carefully check out both beads for any damage. If there is visible damage, I'd want a new tire.

That being said, a shop mounted my front PR3 backwards and I ran it 6000+ miles before I noticed. The tire began cupping weirdly and that's when I noticed. I don't have enough experience with the ST1300 to know what kind of mileage I get with front tires. YMMV

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I once ran a front BT020F for almost the entire normal life before I noticed (don't ask), and the only thing it did was wear a bit weird at the end. Handling was just as good, although I do tend to dial it back in the wet.

You probably haven't damaged the tire, but I'd get it turned the right way 'round and rebalanced.

--Mark

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Uncle Phil;184428 But I would make the shop install a brand new because of the error - it might make them think the next time since the tires have rotational arrows on them in plain sight[/QUOTE said:
^^ This, but go out and ride a couple ironbutt rides before you make them install a new one. LOL

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
A good look at the T30GT tyre suggests that the sides are wearing faster than the centre. I've only done 1500 miles, but cant see them lasting longer than the 5000 i normally get from the BT020F. We shall see.
Yes the T30GT tires do wear fast, good luck with the miles on these.

Top Bottom