It was supposed to be a simple tire change...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Saturday morning I had Byron coming over to help me swap my tires on the 2010, this is probably the fourth time putting tires on this bike.

Before he arrived at my place, I started taking off the rear tire. First thing I saw was a nail in the center of the tire I was removing. Like I say, timing is everything! After removing the rim and tire, I see the next issue? the dreaded flange bearing failure!

By that time Byron is there and as he is setting up, I?m getting to the front tire to remove that. Everything from that point started going smooth, until I realize the ?rear? brake pads I bought off ebay were for the front of a ?03 to ?07 ST1300. Although I had the front pads I needed for the 2010, I was ripping the garage apart to find my rear pads.

No luck. So Byron swapped the two tires and we replaced the damaged flange bearings. Byron figured we could make a pair of rear pads from the front pads. Everything was buttoned back up and I took the bike for a spin out front. The rear brakes just didn?t feel right. So I put the bike back on the ramp and we started flushing the rear brakes. The rear peddle firmed up so I was going to take it for another spin. After getting it off of the centerstand, the bike wouldn?t move.

By releasing the two rear brake fluid valves, the rear brake released, but as soon as we applied it again, it just locked up again. So we decided that maybe the Secondary was the issue, we took that apart, cleaned it and started a complete brake flush. Everything was going good again, until we got to the rear again and it locked up again.

By that time it was getting late and I made a command decision: time to get the project bike on the road for commuting! Byron said that he would come back on Sunday if I wanted, and I said ?sure?. Never hurts to have extra help! So at this point the 2010 is down!

I got up early Sunday morning and started pulling the parts off the project bike that were getting swapped out, upper cowl/headlight, Chinese junk lower cowls and got to work on the electric components I wanted to add; BlueSea fuseblock, 5 wire wiring harness to the front of the bike for power from the fuseblock to the driving lights, Powerlet outlet in the riser, BigBoy (like the Stebel) Horn, and power to my tankbag.

While I was doing the wiring, Byron was tearing the ?04 a part so we could put those parts on the project bike. (I was going to tear it apart anyway. Since I have a lot of work to do on it)

Of course the wiring was taking forever! We finally got all of it wired and working, then it was getting the headlight and front cowl on. Then the right side cowl, which I was afraid wasn?t going to work correctly (I was afraid the crashbars were bent) because the holes didn?t line up when I attached the Chinese Lowers. They lined up great! Obviously the Chinese fairing mount holes were off enough to require a lot of reworking for a proper fit. Big surprise :mad:

As we started on the left side, the big wiring connector would not move far enough back to go into the pocket of the fairing. The cable was too well Zipped tied, so I started cutting all the zip ties I had used under the front cowl to hold all the extra wires.

So I pulled the instrument panel off and started going after the zip ties that I could find. I also found that the two wires going to the powerlet outlet where coming loose! So I rerouted them and put a two wire connector and no more wires pulling apart. Now that the wires were loosed from the 100 or so zip ties (okay, not that many, but it seemed like it) we were able to pull the main front cowl cable and install the lower left side cowl. I rerouted some other wires as well and then put the instruments back on.

Byron had put the side covers and started on the saddlebag lock replacements. We got the bike all back together when Byron asked what was next?here it was about 9pm? I told him I still had the topcase to mount.

I pulled the topcase from the shelves and grabbed the rack plates (top and bottom) and the hardware. It had the main bolts and spacers missing! I know I have some spaces someplace, but it was easier to pull the other ?04 apart than look for them. So we took the plates off the other ?04. In getting the rightside off, the spacer fell in to the rear abyss! :eek:4:

We looked for that sucker for a good 15 to 20 minutes when Byron found it in a pocket, just below the hole! We mounted the plates on the Project bike and all of a sudden it turned into my commuter ST1300!

By around 10:30PM Byron took off and I straighten things out so I could park the bike in the garage and get the dogs in. I now have motorcycle parts in both sides of the garage! So I?ll try to clean that up tonight. Sure could use more storage though!

Thanks again for the help Byron!

I rode the project bike into work this morning and it did great. I even got to test the headlight modulator, the horn and the brakes, along with the windshield a number of times (this is the windshield mechanism I rebuilt using cables that had broken mounts. I used some good mount from one that the cables was all chewed up and epoxied the tips on. So far it is working great! :D

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks.

I'm working up a strategy to deal with it. I'm going to rebuild the rear caliper and replace the brake pads, then I'll rebuild the foot master cylinder, and rebuild the SMC. Then I will do a complete flush and hope that fixes it! :pray1:

Anyone know where I can buy a good electric brake bleeder?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Thanks.

I'm working up a strategy to deal with it. I'm going to rebuild the rear caliper and replace the brake pads, then I'll rebuild the foot master cylinder, and rebuild the SMC. Then I will do a complete flush and hope that fixes it! :pray1:

Anyone know where I can buy a good electric brake bleeder?
You still will have to bleed the proportioning valve by hand pumping the foot pedal. All the fancy vac devises I have tried over the years worked well on every aspect but NOT when it came to bleeding the Proportioning valve.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You still will have to bleed the proportioning valve by hand pumping the foot pedal. All the fancy vac devises I have tried over the years worked well on every aspect but NOT when it came to bleeding the Proportioning valve.
I've found that out also, but it doesN'T hurt to pump it with a vacuum attached! ;)

I still want to find an electric vacuum bleeder!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Be sure to pack the SMC boot with brake grease.
Not a bad suggestion, since the current one had some corrosion in it! :eek:4:

When I pick up more brake fluid, I'll get a new tube of that too, mine is pretty old and the tube failed ages ago, so I have it in a baggy!

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
since the current one had some corrosion in it!
I found that the latest service manual even has a statement to pack it. I don't remember seeing it in the 2003 version. I believe that this little item was left off the ST1300 preparation check list when they sold new bikes. Especially, since everyone seems to have the problem.

Top Bottom