Fuel leak when the engine is running only?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I can't see ST1100-Leak section (does it mean ST1100 should never leak?!? :D ) so I'm gonna post it here.
This morning while putting the gear on me I turn the bike on to "warm" it up a little bit. Put my cloths to bags, took the garbage bin to the street, went back home to say to my milady and the, when wanted to hop on the bike I found a big fuel leak under the bike. And still dripping. About a drop every sec or two. Turned it off, moved the bike to the driveway to clean the leak. After I finished I took a look at the bike no leak under it on driveway. I turned it on again and shortly after it started leaking again. I turned it off and it stopped leaking again.
So, any idea what ti could be? Or where to start?

Thanks,
Afan

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The only way to find it will be to pull the plastic and inspect; so, I'd start there! ;)

Really, you can guess it'll be the vacuum shutoff, if it is still there; but, it just as likely to be a cracked fuel filter or one of the fuel lines.

At least you can reproduce the problem!

Good luck,
Mark

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
At least you know the fuel pump is working!;) Time to take the clothes off for a look. Right and left side covers and top shelter, at minimum.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Since I'm really bad in fixing stuff (except if it's REALLY simple, like taking off the plastics - what I managed to screw up too by throwing all screws into the same can so god help me/us when the time comes to put it all back together :(), I called a friend of mine - he's kind of car/moto mechanic, and he's almost sure it's one hose just under the carburetor. We couldn't take off the carburetor because I didn't have a right tool for it (all my screwdrivers are china-made and so easy to mess up the screw), he didn't had with him. So, he's coming tomorrow again.
Scary watching him taking off all those parts and looking at my bike naked. I REALLY hope he knows what is he doing :(

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Since I'm really bad in fixing stuff (except if it's REALLY simple, like taking off the plastics - what I managed to screw up too by throwing all screws into the same can so god help me/us when the time comes to put it all back together :(), I called a friend of mine - he's kind of car/moto mechanic, and he's almost sure it's one hose just under the carburetor. We couldn't take off the carburetor because I didn't have a right tool for it (all my screwdrivers are china-made and so easy to mess up the screw), he didn't had with him. So, he's coming tomorrow again.
Scary watching him taking off all those parts and looking at my bike naked. I REALLY hope he knows what is he doing :(
OOOH BOY! I too hope he knows what he is doing. Do you at least have the Honda Service Manual there? It can help with carb disassembly and also help you figure out which fasteners go where on the plastic. All FOUR carburetors come out as a unit, but be sure to tell him NOT to remove the rubber snorkel assembly that sits atop the carbs. They don't need to come off to remove the carbs and are a real PITA to re-install, if you do. What year is your ST1100? You may need to replace the four carb "boots" that mount the carbs to the engine. They get old and brittle and you want to ensure a good seal when the carbs go back on. Good luck!

When taking off plastic, I always keep each set of fasteners with each piece of plastic as it comes off. Not hard to figure out where they go once it starts going back together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
OOOH BOY! I too hope he knows what he is doing.
Me too...:(

Do you at least have the Honda Service Manual there?
Yes.

All FOUR carburetors come out as a unit, but be sure to tell him NOT to remove the rubber snorkel assembly that sits atop the carbs. They don't need to come off to remove the carbs and are a real PITA to re-install, if you do.
You may need to replace the four carb "boots" that mount the carbs to the engine. They get old and brittle and you want to ensure a good seal when the carbs go back on.
I will, thanks a lot for the tip.

What year is your ST1100?

Good luck!
Thanks, I'm gonna need it! :cry:

When taking off plastic, I always keep each set of fasteners with each piece of plastic as it comes off. Not hard to figure out where they go once it starts going back together.
NOW I know too... :doh1:

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Sound advise :)
Didn't do that the first time I took the fairing off, and I ended up with some spare bolts on the floor ...

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
You may need to replace the four carb "boots" that mount the carbs to the engine. They get old and brittle and you want to ensure a good seal when the carbs go back on.
With "boots" you were thinking on these 4 rubber "thingies"? They look in pretty good shape to me.

P.S. I didn't took the image, it's from the other post. (http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=10249.0)

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
With "boots" you were thinking on these 4 rubber "thingies"? They look in pretty good shape to me.
No, those are the intake "snorkels". The boots or "insulators" as they are properly known, connect the carbs to the engine.

Part # 16211-MT3-000 - $8.84 ea at Partzilla

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Check that small, thin sub filter (foam piece) that is in the small box that connects to those two larger hoses going into the carb banks. If it is looking at all like it is coming apart, replace it, as bits can be sucked into the carbs causing more problems you don't want.

Bike
92 ST1100
No, those are the intake "snorkels". The boots or "insulators" as they are properly known, connect the carbs to the engine.

Part # 16211-MT3-000 - $8.84 ea at Partzilla
+1!.......Do NOT even consider re-using the carb to head boots. A holed piston WILL ruin your day;).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm sorry but don't get it... :confused:
Irish is referring to the fuel shut off valve, actuated by engine vacuum. Located just above, and connected to, the fuel filter. There is a thin diaphragm in there that can tear over years of use, although, I'm not aware of that causing a fuel leak, more of a fuel starvation issue. That is, unless the vacuum hose connected to it can suck fuel through the open diaphragm? That item is usually bypassed when fuel starvation is an issue.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
What else would be good/wise to change at the time?
Well, we could open up a real can of worms there, having the carbs out, but I hope your friend is sure he really needs to pull the carbs to find the leak. Have you run the bike with all the bits off to see, or try to see, where the leak is?

Allow me to digress here a bit. Something I'm not clear on is whether all North American models have the PAIR system after the year 1996? Originally, I thought all post '95 models had PAIR, but my '96, just bought last summer, does not have it. The PAIR system is employed to reduce emissions and can easily be identified by four chromed tubes coming out of the cylinder heads by the exhaust pipes, visible through the side maintenance covers. Maybe only California models had it on later years??

Anyway, if you have that, you will find a mass of stuff buried under the carbs, but what you really want to take a good look at is the condition of the cooling system hoses, also found in that space. Your friend should be able to ascertain their condition and if they feel at all too soft or are swollen, they should be replaced, along with the smaller bypass hose contained in there as well. THEN . .. . if it is necessary to replace those hoses, you should also replace the "elbows" and the o-rings inside them, which mount the hoses to the head.

Have a good look in there first and report back, if your friend is unsure of anything in there.

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Allow me to digress here a bit. Something I'm not clear on is whether all North American models have the PAIR system after the year 1996? Originally, I thought all post '95 models had PAIR, but my '96, just bought last summer, does not have it. The PAIR system is employed to reduce emissions and can easily be identified by four chromed tubes coming out of the cylinder heads by the exhaust pipes, visible through the side maintenance covers. Maybe only California models had it on later years??
I would assume his bike would've had the PAIR system since my '98 did before I got a hold of it.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Irish is referring to the fuel shut off valve, actuated by engine vacuum. Located just above, and connected to, the fuel filter. There is a thin diaphragm in there that can tear over years of use, although, I'm not aware of that causing a fuel leak, more of a fuel starvation issue. That is, unless the vacuum hose connected to it can suck fuel through the open diaphragm? That item is usually bypassed when fuel starvation is an issue.
Since the fuel leaks only when motorcycle is working and it turns on without problems I think shut off valve shouldn't be a problem, right?

Top Bottom