I have no experience with st1300 brake pads

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Today is finally a gorgeous day and there are bikes out everywhere!

Bought my 2004 in August 2014. Just replaced the 6905 bearings (just in time) and am draining the hypoid for replacement as I type. Oil change and a little wiring and I am ... On .... THE ....ROAD!

1) The photo shows the thickness of the rear brake pads. Not having seen new ones I have no idea of the wear on these. Do they have enough life left for a season?

2) Some of the wiring on my 'to do' list involves the fork mounted driving lights. These lights are grounded to the reflector bolts at the bottom of the fork. From what I understand this will adversely affect the head bearings and I am inclined to run a 2 strand wire back to a fuse block. (install a nautilus horn at the same time) Am I right to be concerned about my steering bearings?

Thanks for your opinions.
Dennis

rear brake pads 041315.jpg

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I'd go ahead and change them, but that's just me.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you look at the picture and see that tiny gap, that is the wear indicator.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The wear indicator is visible on the RH pad as the small dark rectangle. When it begins to touch the disk it's time to replace. I'd say you have half the life left. Sometimes the other pad or the trailing edge of the pad wears more ( or less ) but the depth of the wear indicator you can see usually accounts for asymmetric wear.

And yes, I'd ground the lights to the frame itself not the forks.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Today is finally a gorgeous day and there are bikes out everywhere!

Bought my 2004 in August 2014. Just replaced the 6905 bearings (just in time) and am draining the hypoid for replacement as I type. Oil change and a little wiring and I am ... On .... THE ....ROAD!

1) The photo shows the thickness of the rear brake pads. Not having seen new ones I have no idea of the wear on these. Do they have enough life left for a season?

2) Some of the wiring on my 'to do' list involves the fork mounted driving lights. These lights are grounded to the reflector bolts at the bottom of the fork. From what I understand this will adversely affect the head bearings and I am inclined to run a 2 strand wire back to a fuse block. (install a nautilus horn at the same time) Am I right to be concerned about my steering bearings?

Thanks for your opinions.
Dennis

rear brake pads 041315.jpg
Check your front pads too! My experience is they wear out a little quicker and a little more uneven. If you need to replace, go ahead and replace all three calipers at the same time. OEM pads are the best, followed by EBC. Cost you about $120 for all three sets.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
+1 on grounding the lights to the frame... one should never pass electrical current through bearings! The electrical arching will pit the bearings and the race.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Thanks for all the great feedback esp the pics. I have not had the front off yet (the fork mounted lights will be rewired in the next few days) but am sure I would have been concerned about the front pad thickness so appreciate the pics. Good advice on having the pads on hand. I'll start the shopping process now.

Top Bottom