Helmets Gmax helmet

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I recently purchased a Gmax 54S modular helmet. Anyone else have any experience with this make. Have ridden maybe 100 miles since getting it and it seems to be very comfortable. Easy to operate the inside sun shield, lots of vents and less noise than any other helmet I have ridden with. I have several other helmets (Don't tell my wife I got another one) The price was right at $118.00. I also have my Cardo hooked up on it. So anyone else use one of these?

OP
OP
davehirst
Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I have a Nolan open face, a Bilt modular, and several full face helmets. Among all these I have owned, the Gmax is the quietest.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have a pair of GMAX's modulars for sale if you need one for the wife or kiddos.

One in small, one in very-small. Smoked face shield (plus clear) for one and mirrored shield (plus clear) for the other.
Silver color, worn less than three times.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have a Nolan open face, a Bilt modular, and several full face helmets. Among all these I have owned, the Gmax is the quietest.
Where did you get the Gmax, online or at a motorcycle dealer (or none of the above)?
Is it the GM54S model with the integrated LED's?

Last edited:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been using the GM54s for 2 years. Also have an HJC IS-MAX. While the HLC is higher quality in optics and construction it is noisy. My preferred Helmet of the two is the GMax. It has good venting, comfortable and the built in light bar that might be handy if I'm caught on the side of the road at night (helping some HD rider that broke down). Best bang for the buck in my humble opinion. I will be using it till I can afford a Carbon fiber unit like the HJC RPH-max or RPHA ST full face.

Last edited:

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I have had several GMax helmets...well 3 actually....One retired due to a crash...but as stated they are quiet ...comfortable and a heck of a bargain..quality of materials may be a little better in more expensive lids but not enough to make me fork out 3 times the price of the GMAX 54S......One con is weight...I have neck issues and would prefer less weight...However...even the so calle dlight weights arent that much lighter and a whole lot more expensive...I've tried Schubert...one of the most uncomfortable helmets I've ever head on my head...I've had Shoei's....Not bad comfort and weight wise...I've had Bell.....Junk.......Recently acquired an HJC CL-17....Very comfortable...Competitive weigh...quiet...optically very good ...and Snell approved for about 125....You don't have to pay 5 to 800 bucks for a good helmet with great protection...snob appeal as far as I'm concerned...Wear your GMAX proudly and put what you saved in your gas tank

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the feedback on the helmet not in the market right now but will keep it in mind when the time comes. Can you get a pinlock insert for them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
davehirst
Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Yes the 54S has the light on the rear of the helmet. I purchased it at Competition Accessories. Great service and prompt delivery.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
The GMax got good reviews in last year's Motocyclist magazine roundup of modular helmets. IIRC, it was the favorite in the under $300 category (the Neotec was the favorite over $300). My next helmet will be a modular so its on my radar.

How is it for fogging?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If I recall correctly I think the clear shields have the double layer (not an offical pin-loc) but the tinted shields I bought do not.

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I had a Gmax (non modular) for about a year. Good cheap helmet.

I think you'll be fine. I've decided that since I ride year round, in all sorts of weather (rain included), I no longer am going to buy an expensive helmet. Ever. I'll just shop for a good bargain, use it till it's pretty beat up, and then buy a new bargain helmet. Seems to be about every 1.5 to 2 years, and I'm not particular about weight or anything like that. I'll adjust and be fine. Just move the SENA headset over and start again (or in rare instances, buy a new SENA speaker setup and just move the module, like my newest helmet)

I don't have the $$$ or inclination to buy an expensive helmet.

Alexi

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I currently have an HJC Max-BT and I love everything about the helmet except how noisy it is. This GMax looks to be a comparable helmet with the same features, if its quieter, I'd certainly be interested when it's time to get a new one.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
I have had my GMAX 54S for almost 2 years. My opinion is that it is not as quiet as the neotech that I borrowed from a buddy but for the price I can buy a lot of ear pugs. I also tried an HJC modular (sorry cant remember the model) that belong to my son and I find that GMAX is quieter than his. For my hard earned dollars the GMAX was a great choice. The bluetooth brake light module that allows the led light on the helmet to come on with my brake light was a nice feature that I have not seen on any other helmet at any price.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
Thanks for the feedback on the helmet not in the market right now but will keep it in mind when the time comes. Can you get a pinlock insert for them?
From what I've found no on the pin-lock availability. In hot weather riding they are substantially better cooling than most. Turns you scalp into its very own swamp cooler(when you do sweat). There are 5 different vents in the front of the helmet and 4 outlets in the rear. This thing flows A LOT of air over the scalp, which in Tucson makes a huge difference for those many 100 degree plus days we get.

The optical clarity is lacking, especially when compared to my Shoei RF 900, or HJC, or Icon for that matter(they need to work on the shield). And it is substantially heavier(modular vs. full face) but that's part of the price for a modular type helmet. There are lighter modular models out there but, I can't see paying that much more for them, and with the venting available in the Gmax none of the others seem to have stepped that part of their game up to the Gmax level. I dare say it is a GREAT helmet for the price, so long as you don't have a super oval head anyway. The shape is more round than oval.

Top Bottom