Elusive O-Ring. -Where to put it ?

Hi.

I know i put it on the "o-ring holder". -But where on the o-ring holder ?
All the way in to the bottom groove, or just "inside " on the first groove ?

Kairo

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting. I've never changed the O-rings in 18 years, 100k miles. Heck, I'm going to have to look next time the wheel is off to see if the O-ring next to the splines on the wheel is even there anymore. I can't remember seeing it when I looked at the splines last time, but I wasn't really looking for it. About half the time the tire changer put moly paste on the splines for me, the other half I put a little dab of 3% moly on it and mounted the wheel back into the drive. Last tire change a couple months ago I finally bought a tube of the Honda moly 60 (yes, you can thank me they discontinued it shortly thereafter, they were waiting all those years for me to finally buy it before discontinuing it). That gave me the motivation to clean all the old lube off the wheel splines and check out their shape. They looked like the top picture in the article Dean linked, no wear at all.

The moly paste appears to stay in place, so my lack of O-ring maintenance doesn't seem to have had any negative effect in that regard. Given that I ride in a mostly rain-free environment, water getting in past the O-rings is not really a concern. Perhaps the condition of the O-rings is irrelevant in my case, I dunno. Just thought I'd throw this out for another datapoint.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
oops..yes, that's the article I had in mind (the one with the pictures). I better check my links next time.
Fixed the ST-Riders link for you, Dean. Works properly now. A lot of links and pictures were lost when Webshots died. Mike's webhost died also and his ST1100 content was moved to Adam's site. Many of the mirrored AOW articles haven't been updated/caught yet.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom