How to remove that protector at the top of the fork slider

Bike
1992 ST1100
I cant' remember what it's called but I'd like to remove that black plastic protector that's on the top of the fork slider. I just want to do it so I can run my seal mate to clean out the fork seal.

Anyone know how to pop that off? If it's permanent I'll just deal with it.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
One of my forks leaked after I replaced the oil and springs. I think that I used a block of wood and a hammer to remove the plastic protector and then I carefully removed the top rubber dust seal from the fork. I used 35mm film cut in the shape of a small hook to repair the oil seal and then replaced the top rubber dust seal. I never replaced the plastic fork protector, because I used NOJ neoprene fork guards instead.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The manual sez not to remove the Fork Tube Protector unless necessary. It also sez:
For easy installation, immerse in hot water (50-60?C/122-140?F).
If you really want it off, I'd probably try heating it up with a heat gun and then slip a non-metallic pry bar/stick of some sort next to the notch in the fork tube. I have some nylon ones that work well and don't scratch/mar. Bamboo might work... HTH

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I've never had mine off, but like I said, I'd slip something under it next to the notch to lift it out of that notch and then tap it up and off. See the highlight in the Honda Service Manual schematic. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
If you are lucky, there may be a size of PVC pipe ( hardware store ) that has an ID that matches the diameter of the protector. You could cut a piece length wise in half and use it to give the protector a "wack" ( on each side ) after warming it up a bit with a hair dryer to pop it out of the groove.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Still not sure why you want the plastic protector off, if indeed that is what you are referring to. Only the dust seal has to come out to use a SealMate.

Bike
92 ST1100
Still not sure why you want the plastic protector off, if indeed that is what you are referring to. Only the dust seal has to come out to use a SealMate.
.......or unless installing a fork brace, in which case I just split them and tossed them in trash. Fork brace came with curved anodized black protector/shields that are removable from brace. Either way, IMO they're just a suto protector and look cute:rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Bike
1992 ST1100
Well, I was able to clean out the seal and get it to re-seat and stop leaking and I didn't remove that damn fork protector. Thanks for all of y'all's responses.

Just FYI, prior to creating this thread, I had done a quickie Sealmate cleaning without an actual Sealmate. I just took some plastic from the recycle pile and cut out something like it. It took out a lot of gunk but with that damn fork protector in the way I couldn't get the front real well. Turns out I didn't cut it wide enough to be able to handle the pushing. So this time I broke down and spent the $6 on a 3 cent piece of plastic that is actually called a Sealmate. It is wider and was easier to push through both seal surfaces. I had to pump on the forks/wipe oil off about 4-5 times but it eventually reset and stopped leaking. Took it for a 10 mile test run and no leaks.

Bike
ST1300
qman, I am having problems try to get the sealmate through the seals. I'm trying to push it all the way down to where the letters seal are covered up but I can't get it that deep. How deep did you get yours? My fork protectors are still on, can't get those little buggers off.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
They are friction fit only with a slight lip. Just take a piece of wood and start tapping it up and off of the tube from the bottom side. Work your way around it. There is usually a lot of stuff packed in there and that's why they won't move.

Sent using Tapatalk

Top Bottom