Whistleing, Wining Noise

Bike
Honda ST1300, 2005
I have a 2005 ST1300. When running down the highway, it whistles pretty loud and is pretty annoying. Anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like it could be coming from your windshield maybe. Try raising or lowering it and if that changes the sound you are hearing.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300, 2005
No its not that because when I rev the engine above idle there is a high pitch whistling.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300, 2005
From what research I have done, sounds like this is a common thing, and yes Superzuki it sounds like the Jetson whistle! The faster I go the louder it whistles........everyone says its nothing to worry about, the only folks it will bother are the ones hearing it when you pass them, kind of like a high pitch jet engine whistling !!!!!!!

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300, 2005
Thanks for all your replies, but the whistling is there when the bike is not moving, especially when revved up pretty good. I contacted the original owner and he told me that the bike has done the whistling since it was new. He took it to the dealer and they told him that it was the harmonics of the engine making the sound and that there was nothing wrong with the bike, and to just ride it!!!!!!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Check post 5.
It would also help if you heard another ST and the normal counterbalancer sound.

Bike
2005 ST1300
That engine whine bothered the heck out of me when I first got the bike, but I don't hear it much anymore. I can't say whether it deafened me to that range or if I've just accustomed myself to it, but now I only hear the pleasant growl of the sweet, powerful, responsive engine.

Keep riding it and soon it won't bother you anymore. If you need more, just comfort yourself with how very reliable and long-lived these engines are.

Jack

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks for all your replies, but the whistling is there when the bike is not moving, especially when revved up pretty good. I contacted the original owner and he told me that the bike has done the whistling since it was new.
You can get away fro the whistling by throwing the counterbalancers out... but then you would sound like another bike... and shake too. :-D

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1300, 2005
T_C, I believe I'll keep the counterbalancers, I rode Harley's for 20 years and I don't want anything shaking, growling or backfiring anymore...........all I want is peace and quiet, and a lot of power if needed.....something I'm not used too !!!!! Thanks to all of you who eased my mind about this whistling, I am just going to forget about it and maybe it'll go away.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
+1 on the balancer adjustment.....they whistle if not in the middle of the adjustment........good luck, ff
Well I learned something new reading this thread (again) and since my TW is still on the shelf I walked down and did this. I always thought it sounded a little bit 'rattly'. Hopefully now it doesn't whistle!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a 2005 ST1300. When running down the highway, it whistles pretty loud and is pretty annoying. Anyone have any clue as to what it could be?
I'd get the bike up to speed on a freeway (above where it is whistling), pull in the clutch and let the bike idle. If the sound changes other than as you coast down in speed, its engine related. If it remains as the engine idles, it is fairing/wind noise.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I wondered how much difference the counter balancers actually do. Curious if anyone's ever run without them...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Do the church adjustment as it only takes about five minutes. All you need is a 10mm box end wrench and a large slot screw driver. Thinking outside the box for a minute..what type of oil is being used? Synthetic oil is much louder than regular or diesel oil. Try some gasoline premium blue or demo 400 in it.

Top Bottom