ST1100 in Motorcyclist magazine Smart Money column

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
My Motorcyclist magazine came today and I saw a familiar face (profile actually of a Pan European badged ST1100) in their Smart Money column about used bikes. Nothing new to us, but our beloved ST gets some love about reliability - "tougher to kill than a cockroach". They erroneously state the timing belt replacement interval at 80K miles rather than 90K. Given that most folks replacing their belts at 90K report them to look like new I think they overstate the risk of exceeding the interval. Most of the rest of the writeup seems pretty fair.

It also mentions that the ST benefits from "an extremely loyal and knowledgeable fan base". Sound like anyone we know?:D

DAS

STOC #
Amen brother, but you're preaching to the choir although I doubt if hail fire and brimstone will bring those that have gone over to the new age to come back to the fold.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Stay away from money pits. Get good bang for your buck. We work hard for our bucks, make them work for us. Just saying ;)

Bike
ST1300
Yes the ST1100 has still got a big following here in the UK as well.
I had a wineberry red ST1100 for many years and absolutely loved it but traded up to the ST1300 about five years ago. Everyone said you will hate it after the 1100 but actually I love it just as much! It's a beautiful machine, a bit lighter than the 1100 which makes it easier to manage and has three seating positions. I'm only about 5'9" so I find the lowest setting improves my riding and confidence with it, let's face it they are heavy machines!

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
Yes they are heavy, and once you get past the point of no return, it's all over but the crying, or Cussing.
I do love my 1100 of the three bikes I have she stands out above them all.
I bought her because I thought she would do till I could find the Goldwing I wanted, a 1500.
After about 8 months the right wing at the right price came along, so I added it to the stable.
I just do not like the wing near as much as I remembered liking my 88- 1500.
The ST-1100 is the perfect bike for me, Very Quick, and top end way faster than I want to ride.
It actually rides smoother than the wing, and is more comfortable, and fits me just right.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just returned from a multi-thousand mile month-long trip on my ol' 91. She turned 217,000 miles as I came back across Arizona. Ran ~80 MPH all the way across TX and NM on I-10. Heavy head winds knocked the gas mileage down to 30 MPG but she had no trouble handling the speed. Gotta luv Texas speed limits. :D

STick got the duty because lipSTick is down for brakes. I'll have that sorted soon as my new hanger pins arrive.

So, longevity? Yeah. Among my three (RIP ReSTored), I have accumulated 550,000 of my own miles with 650,000 showing on the total odometers. :D

Top Bottom