Extended Warranty

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You have to the end of the 3 years to do it. I would personally wait because it doesn't offer EXTRA coverage only EXTENDED coverage and some don't keep their bikes that long.

Lots of folks here have utilized the Extended Warranty beyond 3 years, only takes a couple fork seals or minor things to break even so the big issue is if you know you'll keep your bike a long time now.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've used it for a starter on the Wing and the previous owner used the warranty for 2 sets of fork seals, several switches, and a couple of passenger cubby doors, with broken plastic hinges, plus I still have another year left. I would say that it was worth it, on this particular bike. On the other hand, my ST1300 had the extended warranty, but it's never been in for a repair. It does give you piece of mind and is a selling point, if you decide to get rid of the bike.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK it sounds like you are in the same spot I was in a few years ago with my ST, the way I was racking up miles on the ST it got me thinking this maybe a good investment. As it turned out it was an excellent investment as they have replaced two sets of fork seals, two clutch switches, one brake switch, thermostat and all coolant hoses, secondary master cylinder, and now with over 128,000 miles on the bike the water pump is being rebuilt with all new parts just before the warranty expires next month on the 2nd. This extended warranty paid off for me as during the first three year warranty I only had the headlight bulb replaced when it burned out. Shop around, I got mine on sale and have been very happy I got this!!

Bike
ST1300A '10
as with most things in life, how you think impacts what you see. Some feel unless they have major problems that the extended warranty covers view the investment as a loss. I, on the other hand, view it as a future problem repellant. 'Pretty sure having laid out the cash I'll never have a problem and if so, that would be fine with me. Then again if something does come up....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's rare the selling dealer will match a good discounted sale so I definitely would not buy at time of purchase. I would wait until December of the last year of the factory warranty as that's when the sales happen.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
When I bought my bike it came with the 4 year extended warranty; basically 7 years unlimited mileage. Thermostat, SMC, and Shock (one month before expiration) were all covered under warranty. It doesn't take much to go over the $500 mark if you don't do the work yourself.

OP
OP
V0X

V0X

excellent info, thanks Gents. I agree, that the selling dealer often can't match online deals on HondaCare. On my CTX1300, I was able to use the generous amount of bonus bucks to tack on to the 1 year warranty that came with the bike.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
The extended warranty on my Honda during the time I owned it was a waste simply because the bikes are so reliable that never even came close to using it despite running it over 80K miles. The new owner has well over 150K on it and it's still running like new. My K1600 is a different story, I love it but just don't trust it like I did the Honda. Everything's a trade off I guess. But I do promise that you will break before that ST will.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
excellent info, thanks Gents. I agree, that the selling dealer often can't match online deals on HondaCare. On my CTX1300, I was able to use the generous amount of bonus bucks to tack on to the 1 year warranty that came with the bike.
What is the factory warranty on the CTX? Is it only 1 year? Is that unlimited mileage? Is the extended warranty 4 years for it too, making it a total of 5 years?
I got the extended warranty on my ST and it paid for itself. I had the t-stat and battery replaced under warranty. Having the extended warranty is also a feather in your cap if you decide to sell, since it is transferable.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I got the extended warranty on my ST and it paid for itself. I had the t-stat and battery replaced under warranty.
How much was the extended?
T-stat is $30 and battery is just over $100.
Well, if you do your own wrenching.

OP
OP
V0X

V0X

Selling dealer is offering 3 years extended with roadside for $415 for a total of 6 years unlimited miles coverage.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
That's a reasonable deal V0X, in my opinion. I paid $350 in 2004.

I too waited until December as there are often online deals for the extended warranty. My dealer matched an online price, so I bought it through the dealer.

Turns out that I didn't use the warranty, neither the standard nor the extended. Having the extended warranty was worth the peace of mind though.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
How much was the extended?
T-stat is $30 and battery is just over $100.
Well, if you do your own wrenching.
T-stat done by the dealer was somewhere around $300. OEM battery from the dealer was $230. Ex Warranty was $459. Not having to worry about repairs, priceless.
But, having said that, buying an extended warranty on a ST is more than likely going to end up costing more in the long run because they are just that good. My warranty has been expired for a couple of years now. I still wouldn't have had to use it since then.

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Selling dealer is offering 3 years extended with roadside for $415 for a total of 6 years unlimited miles coverage.
That sounds like a good price, if Honda warranty. It's peace of mind, unlimited, and transferrable upon sale of bike (as I understand, the warranty is noted by VIN number, not by owner so no matter WHO has the bike, they can check the VIN to see if it's warrantied). It's actually one of the reasons I bought the ST1300 I now own. It was 3 years old, but had a warranty through 2018, as opposed to a used FJR which I was VERY tempted by, but was a little more expensive without a warranty. And I just had some work done (got the bike back on Monday) and all was covered under warranty. Would have been 400 dollars for the work, so it would have paid off right there.

Alexi

Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
My extended warranty ran out last month, and in February it paid for a water pump, thermostat and hoses. Timing was perfect, and the water pump problem was discovered at my 128K service.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Wow - you guys got a good deal. I paid ~Ca$1200 for my extended warranty. So far been used for a coolant leak - and leverage to get that coolant leak fix expedited.

Top Bottom