Extended Warranty

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Even if you don't keep the bike the whole warranty period it helps resale it. At least I would put some extra value on a bike when buying if its got a warranty. I bought the extended on my ST and when I sold it with 85,000 miles it still had a year of warranty left. I felt that helped sell it as the new owner would know they would at least have a year if there were any issues.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Not bad just picked up my ST today after getting the water pump replaced under warranty with 128,000 miles on it. Well worth it to me.

Bike
2010 ST1300
An extended warranty is simply an insurance policy. And insurers do not go out of business - they make a profit. So, if you are buying peace of mind, that is one thing and worth the money. For those who take advantage of the policy, it is another. But, like ST11ray said, most of the people who buy these will not end up using them.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
An extended warranty is simply an insurance policy. And insurers do not go out of business - they make a profit. So, if you are buying peace of mind, that is one thing and worth the money. For those who take advantage of the policy, it is another. But, like ST11ray said, most of the people who buy these will not end up using them.
This is the first extended warranty I have ever purchased and it payed off big time for me on this vehicle. Normally I just stick with the standard warranty as I know most don't ever collect any benefit on the policy.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I went the other way and did not buy the extended warranty, which by the way, is priced reasonably.

As I arrived at decision time at the 3-year mark, I found that the consistency and precision of the ST 1300 left me cautiously optimistic that I would NOT need an extended warranty. [ I had been burned on a previous, different brand: 2 major failures that left me stranded, as well as habitual smoking at start-up and dropping a quart of oil every 1400 miles ]

Once I saw that the ST never lost so much as a teaspoon of oil, valves were in spec on both checks, and it always ran so consistently well, I felt I had a motorcycle I could trust. In short, I had peace of mind.

So I did not buy the E.W., lucked out over the next 5 years, and never needed a repair service.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I obviously (given my previous posts) have mixed feelings about exended warranties; indeed, all insurance. I did look for and purchase a MC liability, etc. insurance policy that included roadside assistance. While I am not sure if that feature cost me more money, I was buying peace of mind. Sure, should my bike fail and be stranded I could depend on the aid of good samaritans, but I would hope that paying for a towing service will be more painless than waiting for help. Having said that, didn't I read in another thread of someone who found no service nearby that his insurance would cover, and he was out of pocket $$$ to get a tow? As I said above, insurance companies are in business to make money - they are not charitable organizations. Look at their behavior in the lawsuits after Katrina. Perhaps they were legally right, and morally wrong.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
I bought the warranty. Expires in 2019. My thought was that I wanted to be covered on such a complex bike. Also, in six years I wasn't sure if I would still own the bike. Having the warranty would be a good selling point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Purchased a 5 year extended warranty this week for my 2012. I am normally not a fan of the extended warranties but this will keep my bike under warranty until March of 2023! I have already put over 15,000 miles on it since I purchased 10 months ago, I ride it everyday to work and have been on 3 trips this year of over 1,000 miles, one was over 5,000 and plan to do 1-2 trips per year going forward. My local dealer sold me the 5 year plan with roadside for $650. I think one repair would pretty much pay for itself especially something like an ECM or even a thermostat. At the end of the day, like most, it just gives me peace of mind knowing that I can continue riding as much as I wish with no worries of major repair bills. I know the bike is pretty bulletproof but there are a few issues that pop up form time to time. I also think those of us that use the bikes for daily riders experience less problems than the ones that are occasional riders. Anything with an engine runs better all the time vs. occasionally. I guess it goes back to a variation of Newtons law, Things in motion tend to stay in motion while things at rest tend to stay at rest.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I like to fix things, so have never seriously considered an extended warranty. Almost all my experience has been with Hondas so I have never had a drive system problem. That aside, STs are heavy and difficult to push along the shoulder with inflated tires, not to mention a flat. So I have a roadside assistance clause in my insurance.
Someone who doesn't care to do his own repair, for whatever reason, should probably consider an extended warranty from the OEM.....not a third party.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
An extended warranty on a vehicle or appliance or electronic device is like an insurance policy. Many purchase one and relatively few make a claim. Never bought one in 40 years and so far I'm way ahead. If you don't mind carrying the risk and a "claim" has nil or minimal impact on you financially then don't buy one.

On the other hand, a 4 or 5 year extended warranty including roadside assistance for $450 or so sounds like a pretty good deal. One repair and it's paid for itself.

Top Bottom