Lower front end of 1991 st1100

WTO

Bike
1991- ST1100
I have powered my rear by 1.5 with a Hagan shock and now I would like to lower the front end a little. Can anyone give me some help or suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
use shorter spacers in the forks. If that causes the front end to bottom out on bumps, then you'll have to go with higher rate springs and shorten the spacers again.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
First with the lowering if you have not found it out yet you will. Parking with the side stand will be an issue. If you lower the front end it most likely will be non-usable until it is shortened. If you ride hard in corners you will also scrap pegs much sooner than anticipated.

The only way to really lower the front end while maintaining appropriate travel of the front end is to slide the upper fork tubes up in the triple clamps. This will change your rake and trail and most likely the bike's steering response will changed. I noticed on my wife's ST that it became very quick, something that will be a challenge to get used to on this bike. It does not take much a 1/2" will make a big difference in steering response.

Because you are changing the geometry of the bike tire wear may also come into play.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The only way to really lower the front end while maintaining appropriate travel of the front end is to slide the upper fork tubes up in the triple clamps.
+1

I didn't think about this option until after I posted and left for work, but its easier to do, and maintains the original fork spring response. Its also very easy to adjust incrementally as well.

I'm assuming the OP wants to lower the bike because of short inseam issues, so they're going to have to deal with the sidestand problems you mentioned no matter what method is used. While that can be avoided by using the centerstand, I suspect the lower starting point will make using the centerstand a bit more work too.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The front end can only be lowered so far using this method. I believe that the top of the forks will at some point hit the handle bars.

Yes putting it on the center stand will be harder too. To demonstrate this use a 3/4" piece of wood under the center stand and try to put it up. It takes a bit of work.

I have do this before trying to get off the bike to park without a side stand. even just to get gas it is hard to do.

Also if you ride with a pillion be careful over big bumps with an 1 1/2" out of the shock. You might get some rubbing that was not there before.

At the end of the day these ST1100's were really not made to be lowered. My wife has found that sitting on my ST1300 with the seat in the lowest position that she can easily manage the bike when stopped. She has a 28" inseam.

Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
WTO,

After hearing that it wouldn't work and I would kill myself I lowered my 2001 ST1100 with aftermarket shock and sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamp, .75" as I recall and rode it 151,000 miles. I whipped a lot of corners and never did drag. Tire wear, who knows, got 12,000-13,000 per set. The side stand issue is a no brainer, just cut 1 1/2" out of it. Getting it on the center stand won't be a bit more work, it will probably be impossible by yourself. Roll rear wheel up on a piece of 2 x 6 and get someone to help. I learned some tricks to simplify maintenance, PM and I will share.

Jim

Top Bottom