Deleting linked brakes

Bike
2006 ST 1300
Has anyone actually deleted the linked brake system in the ST? Doesn't look too hard to do as you can get custom brake lines made up pretty easily. I was just wondering if it was more cost effective to eliminate the SMC instead of rebinding/ replacing.

Brian

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Uncle Larry did it on his VFR which also had linked brakes, not sure how much you will save in costs doing this. Good luck.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I think I paid less than $100 for the SMC and replacement washers, so once every 100 thousand miles is not bad. Also I believe much of the 1300s lack of fork dive comes from being linked.

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet, I can see the benefits, particularly in gravel downhill.

Mike:03biker:

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I forgot about the anti dive function the brakes play. It would be interesting to take one out that has them separated and see how it performs vs the linked set up.

Brian

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think this would be a lot of work for little gain but would like to hear how it turns out if you give it a go.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Search back for older threads on the topic; it comes up once every year or two. I think in the time I've been here it's only ever been done one time, and not very well as I recall.

--Mark

Bike
07 ST 1300
Realize this post was from last year – but I hope someone can successfully delink this brake system. It’s the only negative part of this bike, in my opinion. Currently replacing the whole secondary master cylinder – bought it when the 07 was still under warranty and knew as often as I get into rain – it was going to be an ongoing problem. 30k miles on it now and rear brakes lock up regularly just as they were designed to do. I’ll never pay money for another bike with linked brakes – it’s now the first aspect of a bike that I research when one looks interesting. Best of luck!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Most manufacturers are going to some form of linked braking these days. You'll relegate yourself to older or smaller cheap bikes trying to avoid this trend I think. De-linking the ST's brakes would require some unusual plumbing as the calipers are unique in that the center and outer pistons do not communicate. I think one would need to fab up a "Y" connector at each caliper to join the center and outer pistons to the same hydraulic circuit.

Having said that I think the linked braking system works very well on the ST and I've had no trouble at all with the system (including the SMC) in 150,000 + miles.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Realize this post was from last year – but I hope someone can successfully delink this brake system. It’s the only negative part of this bike, in my opinion. Currently replacing the whole secondary master cylinder – bought it when the 07 was still under warranty and knew as often as I get into rain – it was going to be an ongoing problem. 30k miles on it now and rear brakes lock up regularly just as they were designed to do. I’ll never pay money for another bike with linked brakes – it’s now the first aspect of a bike that I research when one looks interesting. Best of luck!
I have done a de-link on my VFR800, mainly so I could use some better 4-piston brake calipers on the front end. In addition to plumbing in the 3rd piston in each caliper, you do need to consider the hydraulic ratio between the master cylinder and caliper pistons; if the ratio changes, then the brake power/lever travel will change. As a guide, using more caliper pistons would need a proportionately larger master cylinder (by area).

At the back of my VFR I substituted the brake master with one off a CBR600 (you will find most Honda back brake masters use identical mounting points), and joined both standard brake hoses at the master with a double banjo bolt, which has been perfect and easy.

For the front as WJB says you would need to link up the 3rd pistons at the caliper, I know this has been done (on a rear VFR caliper) by drilling internally to connect the piston chambers and then plugging the external port with a suitable bolt/washer. After that you would need to replace the SMC with a suitable rigid connector.

Bike
07 ST 1300
Most manufacturers are going to some form of linked braking these days. You'll relegate yourself to older or smaller cheap bikes trying to avoid this trend I think. De-linking the ST's brakes would require some unusual plumbing as the calipers are unique in that the center and outer pistons do not communicate. I think one would need to fab up a "Y" connector at each caliper to join the center and outer pistons to the same hydraulic circuit.

Having said that I think the linked braking system works very well on the ST and I've had no trouble at all with the system (including the SMC) in 150,000 + miles.
Happy this particular feat of Honda engineering is working out so well for you – really – it’s great to know this aspect of the ST13 causes some riders no problems at all. Although, it would be interesting to find out if any other single component from any of the bike’s other systems has generated as much conversation among members as the 2MC on this website. I’m not changing my bike, I was just hoping someone could – just to prove there is still hope for humanity, or something. As far as being trendy, I have yet to pay a monthly smart phone bill and my pickup was manufactured in the last century – so I’m willing to live way out there on the edge regarding future trends.
For the next week or so I’ll either strip the Tupperware, remove the calipers, separate the 2MC from the front left, reinstall the new one, reinstall the calipers with new pads, bleed, reinstall the Tupperware – OR – just fabricate some brackets and attach the saddlebags to my Grom and continue the long distance touring. Admittedly, I won’t be able to go as far between fill ups but bleeding the brakes will sure be an improved process.

Top Bottom