Hey I want some attention! Horn Question

Bike
ST1100 1994
So, I am still looking to get a 1100. My question for you guys, what horn do the police use? You know the one that gets your attention? And is it even legal to have one? Mind you not the siren but the horn. Thanks!

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I can't speak for the police but the fire department uses Air Horns or the digital horn built into the siren. The majority of motorcyclists use either an air horn designed for motorcycles or a much louder car horn type set up. I personally have the Highway blaster horns from Aerostich and have been happy with them. I have both the High and Low note horns and they are powered directly off the battery through a relay to make them as loud as possible. They are far and away better than the standard feeble meep meep horn that comes on a stock ST1100.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I have two of these on my bike : Wolo Small but Loud Horns - the cheaper black ones.

They are the same size as the stock horns, but much louder. I have them powered via a relay - higher voltage to horns and less current through the horn switch. I buy good quality relays ( cheap ) and relay connectors from MCM Electronics. Buy a few extra and then you will have them on hand for future Farkles.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Police most often use electric air horns when not using their sirens. Unlike mechanical air horns there's no compressor or tank so they don't sound the same as the 18-wheelers. The sound is amplified by the same electronics/unit (100W/200W!) as the siren and PA.

As far as legality goes you have to check your local Sheriff or PD. Since the police units are an all-in-one deal it may be illegal in some states just to have it on your bike. Others may not care unless you use the siren. Or PA.

Here in CA horns with an unreasonably loud or harsh sound are illegal except for the standard exceptions. Police air horns along with the PA and sirens use a heavy-duty speaker (100W/200W!) that's hard to hide on a bike. That would be a big clue you're packin' some "above spec" gear shall we say. But if I could hide one effectively I'd do it a New York minute. The PA would get some use too. LOL! The electronics also take up some real room in your saddle bag.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
what horn do the police use? You know the one that gets your attention? And is it even legal to have one?
As ST Gui wrote will you need a "siren amp" (featuring a truck-horn sound generator) and a matching "loudspeaker"...
While "upgrading" a used/totalled '94 to P-spec I obtained a Carson SA defender siren (wail, yelp, phaser, horn)
sa-365.jpg
https://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/content/carson-sa-365-100-watt-defender-siren
and, since I didn't what to have a trumpet speaker mounted on the crash-bar, an ultra thin siren speaker
https://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/content/ultra-thin-100-watt-siren-speaker
which I concealed behind the headlight (a non ABS model provides space there)...

That thing is damn loud... it truly addresses the driver in front you've a beef with, but even with earplugs your very own ears just ring... (amplified by the fact that the Autocom VOX triggers so the sound also blares through the headsets ;-) )
I wouldn't recommend that kind of equipment for daily riding, OK for an event/marshal bike where you might need to use "audible signals" in anger, but...

So on my daily used, "civil" ST I've simply installed a twin high/low tone trumpet horn kit like this:
51fpYVDXPXL._SX466_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-007424801-Twin-Trumpet-Bracket/dp/B000COBK8A/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429436494&sr=1-5&keywords=car+horns

A big gauge 12V with in-line fuse from the battery to a relay, its coil wired parallel to the OEM horn, a big gauge ground cable...
Their easily hidden within the fairing (I mounted them on the tubes of the cowl stay, blaring downwards aside/front of the radiator), to keep curious fingers away.

And they do raise sufficient attention... :twisted:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I have a set of Fiamms in the cage, but I think they are kinda too big if you want to mount them above the radiator, like the stock horn is mounted.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Looks good, Phil. I will keep that in mind.

Actually, I have a set of the small Wolo's ( HI / LOW ) on my GL1100I and a set of the small Steubel's ( HI / LOW ) on the ST1100. Same size as the Wolo's. Maybe they are the same horn ......

The Steubel's are almost as loud as the Fiamm's in the cage. I had to get rid of the OEM "beep-beep" horns ASAP that came on the cage.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
So, I am still looking to get a 1100. My question for you guys, what horn do the police use? You know the one that gets your attention? And is it even legal to have one? Mind you not the siren but the horn. Thanks!
Mount twin Hi/Lo Fiamm "Freeway Blasters", one under each fairing pocket. Yes, it can be done, I did it with both of my 1100s. They are loud and will last forever if you mount them with the trumpets facing down to drain any moisture that may get in. They also need to hang freely for max volume.

Run them off a relay switched from the stock horn wires. They pull a lot of amps and the stock wires will not carry that much.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1994
Mount twin Hi/Lo Fiamm "Freeway Blasters", one under each fairing pocket. Yes, it can be done, I did it with both of my 1100s. They are loud and will last forever if you mount them with the trumpets facing down to drain any moisture that may get in. They also need to hang freely for max volume.

Run them off a relay switched from the stock horn wires. They pull a lot of amps and the stock wires will not carry that much.

I just got my FIAMM 72012 12 V Low Note / One & Two Term / Universal Bracket in today. Sorry if this sounds basic but what is a relay? And can't I just use the stock wires? Seems like everyone suggests using a relay. Also, where would I get such a thing. And how does it fit into the setup? Thanks!

I have twin trumpet horns fitted to my bike and wouldn't be with out them , nice and loud they really let people know that you are there , me personally really don't care what is legal or not when it comes to horns because they are there for your safety and that comes first.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I just got my FIAMM 72012 12 V Low Note / One & Two Term / Universal Bracket in today. Sorry if this sounds basic but what is a relay? And can't I just use the stock wires? Seems like everyone suggests using a relay. Also, where would I get such a thing. And how does it fit into the setup? Thanks!
You need a "high" horn too.
A relay is nothing but a switch that can provide higher amperage current to an application, which in this case are your new horns. This switch is controlled by another circuit, in this case your horn wires. Fused power comes directly from the positive battery terminal to the relay, power output goes to your horns(+). Both horns must be grounded. The package the relay comes in shows you which terminal is which.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1994
You need a "high" horn too.
A relay is nothing but a switch that can provide higher amperage current to an application, which in this case are your new horns. This switch is controlled by another circuit, in this case your horn wires. Fused power comes directly from the positive battery terminal to the relay, power output goes to your horns(+). Both horns must be grounded. The package the relay comes in shows you which terminal is which.

Why do I need a high note? I really am a novice. Oh and on another note my neighbor just knocked my bike over with his oversized truck that he uses for nothing more than transportation. Have had it for less than two weeks. :mad: Why oh why did I not take it to work today...

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Sorry if this sounds basic but what is a relay? And can't I just use the stock wires? Seems like everyone suggests using a relay. Also, where would I get such a thing. And how does it fit into the setup? Thanks!
Good question, and one that puzzled me several years ago. Let me try to break it down in simple English. When Honda (and every other manufacturer) designed the bike, they knew the OEM horn drew X amount of amps. So, they used wire just big enough to carry those amps. That wire went from the battery, to the horn switch, to the horn; when the button is pushed, the circuit is completed and electricity goes to the horn causing it to toot.

However, when an owner doesn't want to toot their horn (they want to BLAST it) they can buy a larger horn. However, that big horn requires more amps. This means that the original wires are not big enough.

There are two solutions: 1) rewire the old switch with larger wire. This is more complex because the wires go through a series of harnesses, under parts, and into cubbies where hands don't fit. The second option is to install a relay:

Here's how it works (I may botch the details so bear with me). You run a wire larger enough for the new horn from the battery or power source to the appropriate pin (metal tab at the bottom) on the relay. You run a second wire from a ground to another pin on the relay. A third wire (again large enough to run the new horn) goes to the horn. The new horn also had to be grounded.

So now you have power going from the battery, to the relay, to the new horn. Now you have to "tell" the relay when to allow the power to go to the horn. So, a fourth wire goes from your current horn switch to the relay.

When you push the horn button, power from the switch goes to the relay and causes the circuit to complete and power goes to the horn. In essence, the switch "tells" the horn to honk and the relay "relays" the message. The original wires to the the switch don't power the horn, they just "tell" the new wires when to do so.

One more thing: some relays (like the one pictured) have 5 pins...what's with that? Well, in the example above, the horn stays off until you push the button. However, in some cases you want devices to do they opposite. For instance, say you want a Red LED light to turn on when your bike is off; you would use the 5th (center) pin to the LED rather than the 3rd one. When you switch the bike off, then the LED would turn on. If you wired the horn using the center pin, the horn would blare until you held the horn switch down (not advisable unless you live in New York)!

There surely are some electricians cringing from my poor use of words but it was written by a layman to a layman. Nonetheless feel free to make any corrections.

4 and 5 pin relays can be found at any auto parts store for a few dollars, and wiring diagrams are all over the net to help you figure out what wires go to what pins. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom