All Balls Bearings

My 2002 St1300 has covered 56k miles so a couple of months ago I thought it may be wise to change the wheel bearings as a matter of preventative maintenance whilst changing the tyres

I've had no issues with the new bearings however I have recently noticed the bearings are not made in the USA as the package lead me to believe Infact they are rebranded Chinese bearings (this may not necessarily be a bad thing if quality control is high IMO)

Has anybody had issues with all balls bearing quality or any failures?

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
When it comes to the wheel bearings, I would want the absolute best to ride on. All Balls are Chinese made... that being said, I have use the "All Balls" steering stem bearings and they work well, but that is a different issue... only thrust load with minor radial movement, if they start failing, your not completely out of a ride.
I worked in a heavy industrial environment (Package industry) for many years. At one time the company had switched to a Chinese brand bearing for some of out smaller rollers, it turned out we had to replace them almost four times more frequently. While that does not make a case study because like in America, there may be many manufactures of bearings in China. The switch to the Chinese bearings was costing us much, much more than the meager savings on initial purchase.
In short, when it comes down to me riding down the road on two wheels at speed, I prefer a known quality of bearing. YMMV...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've used these in the past on my ST1300 flange bearing and never had any issues with them. Not sure what Honda uses to begin with, if they are Honda or out-sourced but the All Balls brand sure seemed like they were better. The key is to check at every tire change and replace if any notchy feeling is noticeable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some years ago, I went to Bearings Inc. (a large Cleveland based bearing supplier - now rebranded with another corporate name) to buy some new bearings for a palm sander. I was a little surprised at the cost of the replacements, and the counter guy explained to me that the OEM part was not a 'tier 1 bearing'. He then proceeded to explain that bearings are ranked in 'Tiers' - e.g. Tier 1, Tier 2, etc. The best companies - SKF, Timken, etc, are Tier 1, and others fall in line, with cheaper bearings (he was talking quality and price - not necessarily value) being Tier 3.

If indeed this is a common and industry wide ranking, it might be illuminating to find out where your All Balls brand falls. (Sorry, I had to say that).

I would echo Vinny but add that when it comes to bearings, I lean toward the best and will spend extra for them. Pulling a bearing is sometimes an onerous job, and I would rather not repeat the work.

Last edited:

JZH

International Bodger
Neither Honda nor All Balls manufactures bearings, so the only relevant question is whether bearings from another source is as good/cheap as the OEM source. Fortunately, most bearings Honda uses are standard sizes, so they are available everywhere. Each bearing (and seal) has a number in addition to the manufacturer's name. The bearing numbers can then be cross referenced with your favourite brand (many bearing numbers are assigned according to a standardised system, so every "6004" deep groove ball bearing, for example, has a 20mm ID, a 42mm OD and 12mm width). You do need to pay attention to each manufacturer's own way of referring to the bearing's sealing features, however, as some are sealed on both sides, or one side, or not at all, and this will be reflected in the numbers/letters after the "6004" (e.g., "6004 2RS" often means a 6004 bearing with two rubber seals). Note, however, that a few bearings Honda uses are not readily available automotive bearings, so you may have to buy them from Honda.

Ciao,

Bike
2010 ST1300
Neither Honda nor All Balls manufactures bearings, so the only relevant question is whether bearings from another source is as good/cheap as the OEM source. Fortunately, most bearings Honda uses are standard sizes, so they are available everywhere. Each bearing (and seal) has a number in addition to the manufacturer's name. The bearing numbers can then be cross referenced with your favourite brand (many bearing numbers are assigned according to a standardised system, so every "6004" deep groove ball bearing, for example, has a 20mm ID, a 42mm OD and 12mm width). You do need to pay attention to each manufacturer's own way of referring to the bearing's sealing features, however, as some are sealed on both sides, or one side, or not at all, and this will be reflected in the numbers/letters after the "6004" (e.g., "6004 2RS" often means a 6004 bearing with two rubber seals). Note, however, that a few bearings Honda uses are not readily available automotive bearings, so you may have to buy them from Honda.

Ciao,
+1 on all of the above. I've only found a few bearings that were not available from a large bearing house - and these were for tools that were more than 25 years old (50+ yr old Delta Drill Press, and a Stanley router). Some cheap power tools use OEM bearings that are non standard, but I've been able to find everything I've needed - tho often for more money than from the manufacturer. I've paid the difference because a bearing in the hand is worth two in the bush (old Native American proverb). The key to this is in my first sentence - "from a large bearing house" - someone who specializes in industrial bearings and has a large stock and rapid turnover.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
personally...for the best Honda bearings...just go with Honda parts. So simple, and worth the money. Not like you buy them that often.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Don't know about All balls, but CBR sells quality Japanese bearings. I hate pulling/installing bearings so I want to use the best I can afford when I decide to tackle this most unpleasant task, especially true for head bearings!

Top Bottom