Roadside assistance

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
This is a old topic, and search on the subject returned dated info.

My 3 bikes are insured by State Farm. I recently received mail stating the perks of the a SF insurance plan, one of those perks being a 800 # for road side towing.

Having a long relationship with my agent (30+ years) I went by his office for the fine print. He was unaware of the extra stuff associated with the plan. I presented the literature sent me, and specificaly asked if the tow was to the nearest dealer regardless of location or miles. Not familar with long riding he said, "I'll hafta check, call me back this afternoon."

I called back next day and was told indeed it was to nearest dealer, but not necessarily a Honda dealer, but was pretty sure they would shoot for the needed dealer if possible.

The program is relatively new to SF. I was relieved because I was having trouble finding a plan to cover all 3 bikes. Most have some kind of limits concerning brand and where they're gonna tow it. So last few years I was on my own, well I had the ran list, but glad to have a backup plan.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Though I no longer have a BMW I still keep my Member Owner Association Platinum Plan I got when I joined BMWMOA in 2005. It covers 3 bikes of any brand, you don't have to register VINS so it covers whatever you are riding and the terms are generous. They will take you to the place you want to go within 100 miles whether a dealer, your house, or that of a friend or family member.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I joined the AMA several years ago because their membership plan includes roadside assistance 7x24x365 and it covers bikes, cars, pickups, trailers, motorhomes registered to me or my spouse or any children under 24 still living at home (thankfully, none LOL). The towing is to the nearest qualified service facility within 35 miles or a requested location within that limit. It also covers flat tires, battery, lockout, minor roadside repairs, emergency fuel, etc., delivery. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it yet, so I cannot report on how effective it actually is. I believe my bike insurance company (Dairyland) also includes this in my coverage (and that one was used in 2006 when I totaled my new ST1300). Back when the dues for the Honda Riders Club included roadside assistance I used them once when I ran over a road cone on a bridge right in the middle of the Ohio River and took out my rear tire and rim. I dropped the club when they stripped the roadside assistance out.

My Grand Cherokee and my wife's Chrysler convertible are covered by Geico and I could actually get my bike insurance a few bucks cheaper with Geico, but I was so happy with how well Dairyland handled the settlement for my ST1300 only two months after insuring a brand new ST1300 with them (even paid me cash for my helmet, jacket riding pants and boots and the plane ticket to get me to Florida) that I've just stayed with them. Of course Geico did a great job fixing my Jeep and paying for a rental SUV when I took the front end out on a large Mule deer buck in Kansas three years ago.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
This is a old topic, and search on the subject returned dated info.

My 3 bikes are insured by State Farm. I recently received mail stating the perks of the a SF insurance plan, one of those perks being a 800 # for road side towing.

Having a long relationship with my agent (30+ years) I went by his office for the fine print. He was unaware of the extra stuff associated with the plan. I presented the literature sent me, and specificaly asked if the tow was to the nearest dealer regardless of location or miles. Not familar with long riding he said, "I'll hafta check, call me back this afternoon."

I called back next day and was told indeed it was to nearest dealer, but not necessarily a Honda dealer, but was pretty sure they would shoot for the needed dealer if possible.

The program is relatively new to SF. I was relieved because I was having trouble finding a plan to cover all 3 bikes. Most have some kind of limits concerning brand and where they're gonna tow it. So last few years I was on my own, well I had the ran list, but glad to have a backup plan.
+1 on State Farm! To be more specific, having the comp. coverage(which covers towing/roadside), bike will be hauled to nearest dealer/shop that has the capability AND access to parts availability for repairs, not necessarily the closest. For example: a needed tire replacement, bike would go to shop that had correct tire and size on hand. After which, in my case, take that tow/haul reciept into my local agents office for an on the spot re-imbursment:).

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I've used the AMA bike coverage when I had an unrepairable puncture outside of Great Bend, KS on a Sunday morning. The response was quick, with a correctly-equipped vehicle to handle the ST. The driver knew someone who knew someone that opened a local shop (again, on a Sunday morning), that had a new tire (180/55) of the correct load range that fit, and we were on our way within 4. hrs. of coming to a stop close to the middle of nowhere in Kansas. Did I mention that it was Sunday morning? All things considered, the outcome was nearly miraculous. The AMA coverage worked perfectly for me.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
ST1300A '10
when I did the extended warrenty (Honda/4yr) I picked up the roadside thing as well as the incremental cost was marginal (in for a penny, in for a pound). I have no idea how well it works (and, like the extended warranty am hoping never to find out) but since this is a long distance touring bike for me, I felt some sort of coverage would be a good idea...

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I have AAA and they cover me whatever vehicle I'm driving. I can't remember what plan we have, but it covers a tow up to 200 miles.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
A riding buddy (who also happens to sell Progressive insurance) used, or should I say tried to use, Progressive's roadside assistance in Alpine, Texas. After a couple hours they called to say they couldn't find anyone to come to his aid. We ended up checking around Alpine and found a guy who would come get his bike. Progressive had contacted him, but he wouldn't go get the bike for what progressive was paying. My buddy ended up paying the guy $150 to go 50 miles to pick up the bike and bring it back to Alpine. Progressive must not pay much.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've used the AMA bike coverage when I had an unrepairable puncture outside of Great Bend, KS on a Sunday morning. The response was quick, with a correctly-equipped vehicle to handle the ST. The driver knew someone who knew someone that opened a local shop (again, on a Sunday morning), that had a new tire (180/55) of the correct load range that fit, and we were on our way within 4. hrs. of coming to a stop close to the middle of nowhere in Kansas. Did I mention that it was Sunday morning? All things considered, the outcome was nearly miraculous. The AMA coverage worked perfectly for me.

Good Ridin'
slmjim
That's good to know since I am AMA. :)

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I had the Honda plan for many years, but that didn't help me on the BMW and now the FJR.

The point with State Farm is a guy has to have insurance anyway, so you don't need a stand alone product. It was my experience some plans were specific to the bike, meaning they weren't gonna cover every bike you just happen to be riding. I'd double check the fine print on any policy that covers multiple bikes.

Policy with 100, or even 200 mile limits have to be evaluated against the kind of riding you do. If you stay East of the Miss. River, you're ok. If you're subject to ride Nevada, or Alaska, or other remote areas out West I'd take another look. In the case of BMW you don't have to be that far from civilization to be outside the mileage halo. I live in Central Alabama and nearest dealer is 130 miles LOL

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the AAA coverage with the 200 mile package. Have used it on a bike only once (BMW R1100RT) and had the bike towed to my house instead of the dealer about 70 mies away. I have used their services, over the years, several times and have never had an issue with service or speed of arrival. That's why I still have it.

Jim

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the AAA plan I think they call it the RV plan it covers you for any vehicle 4 free tows a year 3 100 mile tows and 1 up to 200 miles. However I lost my alternator in SC last year and it took many hours to find someone to come and get me. I was in an area they said had poor coverage. But eventually I was picked up and dropped off at a hotel 35-40 miles away. I then rented a u-haul and took the bike home.

Top Bottom