Old Fuel Question (urgent, please reply soon if possible)

Bike
ST1100 1994
If you have old fuel in the st1100, like a year old, it starts with choke but dies when you start to retard the choke is it the fuel? The bike has been started every week but not taken out. Perhaps it is not warm enough? If I replace the fuel will that help? Are there possible other big problems?

Thank you for any help. I am looking at this bike in a few hours, might purchase. 1999 St1100

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I would think the old fuel doesn't help? for sure..
I wouldn't worry about what it takes to fix that minor problem..
Get the bike, run out as much fuel as you can. fill it with high octane fuel, dump some SeaFoam in it. and off you go....

If problem persists, you might have to clean up the carbs...
There are experts on here in the St100 areana that will chime in soon.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
If the bike has been sitting a lot the pilot jets may be plugged from varnish due to old fuel. You can try an additive such as Seafoam and it may or may not help. Sometimes the only cure is removing the carbs and cleaning them out. You can try getting all the old fuel out of the tank and adding new fuel with Seafoam.

Just an FYI - when storing a bike for long periods of time starting the bike for short period of time is not a good idea. If the engine oil is not heated enough to burn off residual moisture you are simply creating a worse problem as the acids and sludge will buildup and moisture will rust the cylinder bores and cause problems with valve guides etc.. It takes about 15-20 miles of running to fully heat engine oil long enough to burn off the moisture. A better idea is to add a storage additive to the fuel and run it long enough to get it fully through the fuel system. Then leave the bike on a tender. For longer periods of time a shot of oil down the plug hole while turning the engine over will coat the insides and prevent corrosion.

Dan

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If the bike has been sitting a lot the pilot jets may be plugged from varnish due to old fuel. You can try an additive such as Seafoam and it may or may not help. Sometimes the only cure is removing the carbs and cleaning them out. You can try getting all the old fuel out of the tank and adding new fuel with Seafoam.
:plus1::plus1:

Bike
92 ST1100
Sounds like a possible 'science project' started to grow in the pilot circuit/pilot jets. May get lucky by siphoning old gas out of tank, new fuel with mixed in SeaFoam(needs new fuel either way), with a little bit of running, warming everything up a bit including carbs MAY clear the circuits and jets..........worth a try before more drastic measures;).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The fuel tank is easy to remove (careful of the wiring on the left side of the tank). I'd pull it and dump it to get it all out. Change the fuel filter and fill with some premium grade Chevron. See how it goes from there.

The bike is a bit cold blooded. It takes a bit of warming up before I can open the choke/enricher on myown 1100. Old gas doesn't seem to be much of a problem....but I do make it a point to top off with fresh gas at the first opportunity at the start of a new riding season

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Here's a better answer... for me that is. I ride all year, even in the winter. So, ride your bike down here and I'll ride it for you all winter long, giving it the love it needs every other day. A win win situation, both you and your bike will be happy.

Top Bottom