Plug in PR GT4

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
As the subject says my rear 1500km PR4 found a nail last fall. At that time I put 2 plugs in the hole to stop the leak.

Now the decision is ...

Ride until the tire wears out
Or
Change it out for a new tire

I have run with plugs before but I want to go to Newfoundland for a week in July and I'm torn.. Ride or Change out.

I always ride with plugs and a small compressor in my bag for the oops.

What is your thoughts :chat1: :bigpop: :badabing:

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
While plugs are great, you could consider putting a plug patch on the inside of the tire....... I think that would give you additional peace of mind.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Since you have time, pull the tire and have it patched properly from the inside. I've heard of guys riding 1000's of miles on plugged tires and I've heard of them failing. I've plugged a moto tire twice and it got me where I needed to be. I replaced one (near the end of its life anyway) and had one patched.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am one who would run the plug until the tire is done, but if you would feel better patch the tire or replace the tire that is your choice.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
As mentioned the manf's only approved method is the plug-patch from the inside. The plug part fills the void and the patch stops air from getting inside the layers of tire material.

That said, you've had it plugged since the last fall and if it's been holding air all this time it will prob do you ok. ( esp since you carry new ones ).

In the number of times I've used and seen plugs used it has always been better using a plug with glue... the glue helps the plug slip in a bit and helps prevent it from working out later.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've run on plugged tires a long way before, not just get-home but 3 or 4,000 miles but that was with 1 gummy worm in 1 hole. I've plugged a large or irregular hole with 2 or 3 gummy worms to get home but that was it for that tire. I could trust it for no longer but that is just me. If I understood you and you have 2 plugs in the same hole?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I've plugged many tires and use to think the tire needed replacing. No longer, in my view a waste of money.

An old friend once told me, "Guy, what's the worst that could happen on a plug tire?" "It goes flat again?" "Right, and you run the risk of a flat tire everytime you get on a bike. You are much more likely to pick a nail than have a plug fail." No tire I ever plugged has ever failed. I rode them till the tire wore out. I once plugged a new tire with less than 2k, and rode that tire for another 10k miles.

My new Altima, picked up a nail on its new Michlien. It was in the sidewall, nobody wanted to plug it, said it was not good to do so. The 400 dollar tire had 5k miles on it and they wanted me to euthanize it. "Look just plug the tire if it goes flat again, we'll do something else, not gonna hurt to give it a whirl."

Finally a small hole in wall dealer plugged it. That was 15k miles ago.

In the somewhat large circle of friends I ride with, I've never heard of a plug failing, but I guess its possible.

But that's just what I do.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I think it has a lot to do with where the hole is. I picked up a screw on a PR4 Gt that only had 400 miles on it. I used a mushroom type plug that has a special stem and you have to use glue with it and it vulcanizes the plug into the hole. My hole was in the center of the tire which is probably as good a place to pick up a screw as you could ask for. I plugged it and watched my TPMS and lost no air over the rest of the trip we did over 2000 miles the plug is still in the tire and as long as it hoolds air I am not going to do anything else but ride on it. If I had a tire changer at hoime I would probably break the tire down and use an internal plugpatch.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Put a new tire on and take your trip, replace when it's worn out with the plugged tire if it has a good amount of tread left. You're only out one extra tire mounting time/cost. This assumes the double-plugged hole was not a cut, just a big punch like a bolt or something.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've work out tire before that only has a plug in them. Also have pulled a tire off to do a proper patch from the inside.

Just depends on the hole and size/location.

If it is a not clean hole, or a big hole, I would pull the tire and patch it.
Simple small hole, gummy worm with some glue and ride it till it's bald.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Lots of ideas thanks. Yes it has 2 gummys in one hole in the threaded area. I'm going to call the local tire shop and ask if they will put a proper patch on. I have ran into this problem before where I had to put 4 plugs in the same hole to stop the leak. At that time I ran it a bit for 1000km or so, but took no major trips.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I called all 3 motorcycle shops today (Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha) I even 2 car tire dealers. All said 'To bad so sad' none would even look at it. So I'm gonna leave her alone until a week for the trip and re-evaluate the tire.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Plugged this today. I'm partial to the red gummies and have had as many as three in a single tire (separate holes).

Attachments

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I called all 3 motorcycle shops today (Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha) I even 2 car tire dealers. All said 'To bad so sad' none would even look at it. So I'm gonna leave her alone until a week for the trip and re-evaluate the tire.
Yep... most have been scared and are pre-set to not patch a bike tire. Csn you mount/demount yourself? Or a nearby friend with changer? You can buy and install an internal patch yourself.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Yep... most have been scared and are pre-set to not patch a bike tire. Csn you mount/demount yourself? Or a nearby friend with changer? You can buy and install an internal patch yourself.
I do all of my own tire changes. I have plug patches I use on car tires but tried one on a motorcycle tire a couple of years ago but would not bond to the interior of the tire. I used the correct procedure but would not take for some reason.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Hmmm... strange. Same rubber compounds as a car tire. Abrade with a bit of sandpaper, clean with denatured alcohol?

I'd say if the plug is holding then keep riding as long as it was a clean puncture. If you have an un-busy day sometime maybe pop the tire off just to make sure it is not de-laminating on the inside.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Well I had to take the tail license plates off and have a really good look at the plug again. I have the pipes laying on the side and ready to remove the tire and put a good patch plug on. I sprayed the plug with windex and no bubbles... NO Bubbles - No Troubles.. Here are 2 pictures of the plug. go or nogo

Attachments

Top Bottom