1993 ST1100 died at highway speed

Bike
93 ST1100
I've put several thousand miles on my 93 ST1100 and it has never once hiccuped. I was cruising around 80mph and with no warning the engine quit. The tach dropped to zero even though the clutch was still engaged. I ended up coasting to the side. It restarted without issue and it didn't act up again the last 20 miles home. I tried to duplicate it by hitting the kill switch which obviously turned the eng off but the tach didnt drop to zero. I had to physically turn the key off to get it to see the tach go to zero. So its LIKE I was cruising along and the key got turned off.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Check your alternator output as well. Should be seeing something over 14V at the battery at 2500 rpm.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
If it died gradually it likely will be the fuel pump. If it starts after sitting a while to cool the pump that will pretty much confirm that. there are electric pumps, both external and in-tanks options available.

this sounds like my own problems from about two years ago......... same symptoms. riding at high speed, and fuel tank at or below half full ( high air temps as well) I would let it rest by the side of the road for a few minuets and it would start again. ( really hot temps the it could take as much as two hours!!! ( 100 degrees ) I was on a cross country trip when I first encountered this problem. and realized that just before it died the motor would give a very slight "cough"... if I caught it fast enough, I could reduce the throttle and, coughing and sputtering I could keep the bike moving at a greatly reduced speed, until I could top off the tank, and it would be fine -until the next time.......not saying this is your problem, but something to keep in mind. a new ome fuel pump fixed mine ( also fixed the wallet by 400$ IIRC)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Just fore S&G's , I would remove the connector from both the ignition module and for the ignition "pulser" and check for corrosion. also check the pulser resistance while you are flexing the wires that go to it.

IMHO, if the fuel pump stopped , that wouldn't cause the tach to read zero, if the engine was still turning ( clutch wasn't pulled in ) .

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
Just fore S&G's , I would remove the connector from both the ignition module and for the ignition "pulser" and check for corrosion. also check the pulser resistance while you are flexing the wires that go to it.

IMHO, if the fuel pump stopped , that wouldn't cause the tach to read zero, if the engine was still turning ( clutch wasn't pulled in ) .

Tach went to zero. Clutch was not pulled in. I can't say its not a fuel issue but it sure didnt act like it was running out of gas. I was in the passing lane going around a truck and it was an instant engine quit. I'll have to get my shop manual out and look for the module and pulser. Thanks.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Nope, that sounds different than the pump taking a nap.
Good luck, I have nothing now.

Byron

STOC #
I've never owned an 1100 but from what I've read I'd start with electrical first. Possible loose ground or power lead. My other thought is the tank vacuum line that gets pinched. It would cause the engine to die but not sure it would affect the tach.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
After you have done all of those above posted checks and it still does it, you may want to have a look at the bank angle sensor. My '93 did the same thing as yours and progressively got worse. I just by-passed it....

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
After you have done all of those above posted checks and it still does it, you may want to have a look at the bank angle sensor. My '93 did the same thing as yours and progressively got worse. I just by-passed it....
+1 to that, too. These intermittent problems can be tough to track down. Good luck. Try wiggling wires to all these components while the bike is running. You may get lucky and induce the problem.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Have you investigated the red wire mod to see if it is needed? When the connection fails, everything electrical goes dead. It can come and go. A quick look at the connector will tell the answer.

www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7130.msg58746#msg58746

10 minutes and $10 in parts does the basic repair. The more complex one from Norm takes more.

Last edited:

DennisMorris

Dennis Morris
Bike
2005 Honda ST 1300A
I just had a thought. Eureka! If the tach went to zero and the tach is electric then the obvious logic is an electrical glitch. I would follow the ignition switch advice.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sudden failure of one or more stator coils, causing the momentary loss of power. Then battery voltage took over to get him home. Happened to me, hence my earlier post about checking voltage at the battery with the engine running.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
When the red wire connector goes, everything electrical goes. BTDT. It takes 10 minutes to check.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I believe there was a recall or semi-recall on bank angle sensors for bikes in that year range. If it's an intermittent problem, it will be a challenge. What was the temp outside when this occurred. There is a known fuel pump issue when it gets hot outside.

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
Thanks Adam, Thats something I'll keep in the back of my mind. Between the weather and life I havent had time to ride or check anything on my bike. Thanks again.

Bike
92 ST1100
Thanks Adam, Thats something I'll keep in the back of my mind. Between the weather and life I havent had time to ride or check anything on my bike. Thanks again.
I'd seriously consider removing the side panels and do some un-plugging and spray cleaning connections, specially the large one from regulator. De-Oxit is best option, if you can locate it:rolleyes:, then CRC heavy duty electrical cleaner. Same time, remove the regulator itself and clean the backside of it and mounting plate. That the only 'heat-sink' the regulator has to dissapate heat;). Do those maint. things occassionally and they're be no need to ever do a 'by-pass' thing nor have fried reg./alt. issues;):).

Top Bottom