Boots Boot Height??

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I'm going to get some new boots for riding and was wondering what height most people go with? I've got some 5" New Balance boots I wear now that aren't that comfortable and the RH boots leaks water so it's time to upgrade.

thanks, Pat

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I'm wearing River Road brand boots; they look like cowboy boots and are a decent "stealth" m/c footwear that is suitable for off-the-bike use. They come up to about mid-shin. Can't speak to the degree to which they are waterproof since I haven't really exposed them to those conditions (yet). A couple coats of Sno-Seal plus regular shoe polish should do the trick, I think.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like ankle protection as well as waterproofing also some comfort for walking short treks at a rest stop or break. So far the Tourmaster Solution boot has worked well for me. It has a low heel, maybe the 5" reference is to ankle height otherwise the 5" heels are in my wife's side of the closet.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wear red wing boots with a composite safety toe. Steel transfers the cold. The boots are 8in high I think. I ride everyday rain or shine and my feet stay dry.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Last week I got some new TCX X-Ride from Revzilla $105, on sale. They fit great and are a high ankle boot. My last ones, which I bought 20 years ago, were a shin high boot. I did feel a little wind on the cool days, but nothing to worry about. Hopefully cooler during the summer. They are waterproof, but only to the top of the zip, which is near the ankle. They have armour for the ankles on both sides. They are comfortable for walking in for the short walks I've done. Stepping in water won't be an issue. A monsoon might be. The entry is tight (I have a high instep and wide foot) but the foot room is good once in and I'd say accurate to boot or shoe size.

I did see some TCX X-Five WP for sale on the classifieds if you need taller ones in size 44.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The Sidi's I wear for shorter rides most days are 9 1/2" from the floor to the top. The Alpinestars I wear on long trips/tours are 11 1/2" from the floor to the top. I believe both are waterproof, but I know for a fact the Alpinestars are--been through a lot of rain in them and my feet stayed perfectly dry. Both are very comfortable to both ride and walk in.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Last week I got some new TCX X-Ride
Me too. A few weeks ago from New Enough. Pretty comfy so far. Yet to test waterproofness. I like the medium height.

The X-Fives have been discontinued/discounted too for a while, but I have the Solutions for a taller comfortable wear all day boot. They started to leak last year. Have to look into that.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I prefer a 6-8" tall boot for the ankle protection. My current choices are 6" waterproof Ridge boots and 8" ventilated <Mumble> boots for summer.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
A couple of years ago I bought the FXRG-3 boots made by Harley Davidson. They are made for HD by Wolfverine. They are gortex lined, waterproof, super comfortable, and top of boot is about 3 inches above the ankle. They have great protection and I have worn them year around. Additionally they serve as a great hunting/hiking boot. They are about 250.00 form what I remember.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I wear either 8" Wolverine work boots or 8" Apex riding boots. I like a tall boot, cause sometimes, it gets deep around the campfire. :D

Ride Safe
John and Janis

SIDI On-Road boots here. They are about 13.5" tall which helped keep the infamous ST1300 heat off my legs. They are also completely waterproof and very comfortable. Pricey but worth it.

P

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Al*** SMX-5 with 12" boots and just ordered some TCX from Motorcyclegear.com that were on sale. SR-1s which should get in next few days. More track oriented but wanted some better ankle support.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
When I replace my safety-toe work boots with new ones, the 10" waterproof Redwings become my riding boots.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
For me 10"+ (ground to the top back of the boot), lower than that sometimes the riding pants get hung up on the top of the boot. Keeps heat off the shins as well.
Note these are pants with a velcro split lower cuff.

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
I wear alpine stars MX5 boot. I had a mishap at the track in a pair and they saved my ankles. I didn't even know my foot touched the tarmac until I looked at the damage on the boots and saw the video. They aren't comfortable for walking around on, but I typically can carry a pair of shoes in the bags if I need to, most often when I'm riding I'm riding to ride though, not to walk.

I do admit on short trips I will strap on some work boots if I'm testing or just running to the store on the corner quick, but I don't trust them in a crash. And I have had laces get caught on the shifter before and almost cause me to drop the bike at a stop because I couldn't get my foot down. Anything that comes at least up to your calf though is best IMHO

Bike
2004 ST1300
Higher is better but the key is something that protects the delicate bones in the ankle from a rock strike or an impact. Lots of solutions, how much risk are you comfortable with?

Top Bottom