strange electricial problem

hi all,got a strange electricial fault,when cold, starting engine, starter motor stops and causes dash panel to lose power? losing all trip info and restting clock. has anyone had this problem. all help most welcome

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I would check your battery. Sounds like it is weak. If the voltage drops far enough when cranking, the info will reset, just like disconnecting the battery.

If you can measure the voltage before hitting the starter button it should be above 13.v and stay above 11v. when cranking. Less than that would indicate a battery charging or replacement.

OP
OP
sorry about that my bike is a st1300y 2008,had about 4 months...has had new battery. tested all battery leads all okay,when happens repress starter button engine turns over normally.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure what "has had new battery" means exactly, did you install one in the last 4 months?

Your symptom indicates either the battery itself isn't able to hold the required voltage during cranking, or you have some other voltage drop in the system that is reducing the voltage to the starter motor (and everywhere else). The fact that it happens sometimes, then goes away, would suggest a loose connection somewhere is making/dropping the connection, or you have an intermittent short that is pulling the voltage down.

You'll have to trace the voltage drops in the system to see where things transition from good to bad. With intermittent problems this can be frustrating because you can't measure it if the problem goes away every other try.

OP
OP
had new battery 2 months ago,has only happened 4 times in total just don't like strange things like this and have checked all connections,resistance and voltage drop tests all okay.Has the st1300 have any known problems with fuse box? and or dash panel? that can explain my sporadic problem.Am a V.A.G senior tech,so got a good basic grounding on 12v systems,just learning my way around the bike.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
If battery is good, I would take a look at the Start relay or the connection to it. Sounds like it might not be staying energized or locked in when the start button is pushed. Also make sure you push the start button firmly. Please let us know what you find.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If the trip odo and clock reset one way or the other the voltage is sagging too low when starting.
Usually that's the battery. Either not fully charged or it no longer has the capacity and drops voltage under starting load. You wouldn't be the 1st to have a new battery die. Cold weather slows the battery chemical reaction and increases starting load so an iffy battery can cause the reset but work in warmer weather. Another possibility is a corrosion bad crimp lug or crack in the battery. It heats up and opens under staring load and can heal itself when it cools to cause trouble again.

Hitchin? So you have the HISS security system. US spec (No HISS) quiescent load is 2.5ma. I don't know what the HISS drain adds to that.

Since you're new to this bike be aware it has VERY few minutes of reserve before you have a no start.
Wiring diagram LINK

A shot of plastic safe contact cleaner in the starter switch couldn't hurt in the mean time.
There's a set of normally closed contacts that kills the headlights (not the gauge cluster) when starting and the normally open set of contacts that runs the starter solenoid.

Last edited:

thekaz

haz gone feral
hi all,got a strange electricial fault,when cold, starting engine, starter motor stops and causes dash panel to lose power? losing all trip info and restting clock. has anyone had this problem. all help most welcome
assuming the battery is all good then check the cables....... my guess is bad ground

Bike
2010 ST1300
assuming the battery is all good then check the cables....... my guess is bad ground
+1 on the bad ground. This is almost always a suspect point. A 2008 bike is still (around) 7 years old - time enough for some corrosion to form.

OP
OP
Thankyou all for your suggestions and help,am going to strip her down Saturday to see if I can resolve this issue,will let all know what I find.... link for wiring diagrams will be very helpful

Hitchin is in UK, 30 miles north of London.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Definitely give the connections a good once-over. The UK's patented brand of road crud doesn't do them any favors.

--Mark

Top Bottom