Slipping clutch

Bike
1994 st 1100
Hi all
I have recently just finished alternator change new oil added Motul 5000.
When i accelerate in high gear clutch seems to slip not every time.
Should i start with springs?
I notice when bike on center stand the rear wheel turns slowly but stops when clutch is pulled in
Any help would be grateful

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
The Spec on the Motul 5000 4T says 4 Stroke Motorcycle compatible, otherwise I would suspect the oil causing the problem.
Actually I still wonder, Has anyone else used this oil without issue.

How many miles on the current clutch? The Springs can be measured to see if they are within specifications.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Weak springs are pretty common on the St100. After about 40K my springs weakened to the point where my clutch was starting to slip in higher gears when passing or climbing a hill. New springs cured it. The stock Honda springs do lose tension after a while. Some never have the problem others do. it probably has something to do with how the springs are heat treated.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I can't find a data sheet on that oil.
I found something that said it had some 'additives' that helped protect the engine.

I can't find an image of the back of any of the Motul 5000 4T containers...

Do the oil containers on your side of the pond have a little seal on the back?
On this side:
The oil that you do *not* use on a wet clutch, because it causes slippage, says "Energy Conserving' in the top of the shield.

I did find one comment on a Motul site that said this oil caused clutch slippage...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
From Motul's website:;

5000 10W40 with HC TECH Technology is Motuls semi-synthetic performance lubricant specially designed for four stroke motorcycles ensuring complete engine protection and improving the lifespan of the transmission/wet clutch components.

Synthetic based 4-stroke lubricant. HC-TECH Technology - Engine and gearbox protection. JASO MA approved, wet clutch anti slipping technology. Suitable for catalytic converters.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
wet clutch anti slipping technology
Good find.
This at least indicates that the plates will not have been ruined by the 'energy conserving' additives.

If the clutch didn't slip before the oil change I'd change the oil back to the same type of oil used when it wasn't slipping... (I'd save the Motul as it is 'unused' especially if the springs are actually out of spec).

OP
OP
Bike
1994 st 1100
Hello John
thanks for info.Im not sure what oil was in before as i have on had bike a couple of months.
Im fairly sure clutch didn't slip before but with alternator problems and trying not to clunk gears when changing i might have missed it .
I poped to the Ace cafe in North London on Sunday and on only two occasions i would be accelerating in a high gear and revs would shoot up to 7000 revs.
I got the oil as a set from m&p on ebay.
As this was fairly expensive i am reluctant to change again so have ordered some springs and will give them a try

Bike
ST1100
Good find.
This at least indicates that the plates will not have been ruined by the 'energy conserving' additives.

If the clutch didn't slip before the oil change I'd change the oil back to the same type of oil used when it wasn't slipping... (I'd save the Motul as it is 'unused' especially if the springs are actually out of spec).
So far as clutch slipping goes, what is the consensus on oil that does NOT say "energy conserving" but says "resource conserving"?

Thanks,
Extemp.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Hello John
thanks for info.Im not sure what oil was in before as i have on had bike a couple of months.
Im fairly sure clutch didn't slip before but with alternator problems and trying not to clunk gears when changing i might have missed it .
I poped to the Ace cafe in North London on Sunday and on only two occasions i would be accelerating in a high gear and revs would shoot up to 7000 revs.
I got the oil as a set from m&p on ebay.
As this was fairly expensive i am reluctant to change again so have ordered some springs and will give them a try

Any update on the slippage?

Ray

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
If not solved yet, I'd drain the oil but save since it was new ( re bottle after running thru coffee filter to eliminate any possible sand, etc from draining )
Put in reg dino oil and re test.

OP
OP
Bike
1994 st 1100
Hi all
sorry for no update have been plucking up the courage to tackle myself as prices quoted seem high.
I have now changed the clutch springs and reused the oil and have been out twice for about an hour at a time
and the clutch dose not seem to be slipping any more so fingers crossed.
My next new problem seems to be a rattling baffle so see you in the exhaust section :D

Top Bottom