ST1100 Main Bearings

Hello all. I already covered this in my Intro thread, but I have an 83 Honda V65 Magna that I am currently in the middle of rebuilding. The Crank/Rod bearings are no longer available from Honda for these bikes, so I am looking for alternatives. In googling last night, I found that the main bearing for the ST1100 is extremely similar to that of my Magna. The Case ID, Journal OD, and bearing thickness are almost spot on. The only concerns I have are about the location of the bearing tang and the overall width of the bearing.

So I'm trying to find someone who's been inside an ST1100 engine before who may have some bearings laying around and would be willing to measure them for me. If I have to, I can purchase new bearings, but I figured I'd try this first.

Thanks in advance for any help!

OP
OP
Unfortunately, I've heard quite bad things about his customer service on the V4musclebike forums. As in taking months and months to get back to customers with their parts. Not sure I'm willing to go down that route. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
318 :

I wonder how lucky you are, or rather how common those bearings are ?

I know that bearing manufacturers publish catalogs that list bearings by dimensions , as well as by applications ( make, model, etc. ) . You may luck out and find the bearings you need listed in the dimensional chart . You should be able to find a bearing catalog at any engine rebuilding shop. Might be worth a shot.

If you find a bearing with the correct OD & ID and tang position, but is too wide, you could have it turned down. I have seen that done. Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim,

I wondered the same thing. Looked through the Clevite and King catalogs. I did find that a Toyota Prius 1.5l rod bearing might work for my V65 rod bearings (which I find hilarious), but that was the only luck I found, other than running across the ST1100 bearing dims.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I wonder if you can get a set made ? Might want to contact a company that specializes in restoring old cars, like Egge. They may be able to give you a lead. Good luck.

Top Bottom